Ashley Cole

Madmax

Cole is the master of goal-line clearances — the one away to Napoli in the 3-1 defeat, and the one at home to Barcelona in the 1-0 victory both in the 2012 CL campaign spring to mind; and yesterday when Schwarzer's punch went straight to Diego, he and Terry were waiting on the line. Legends.

Im wondering why he played so little in 2014...

I will never understand why Mourinho bench Cole so much this season. He was fantastic today.

I think it's because Ash is prone to errors when facing teams that play a counter-attacking game against Chelsea. Also his speed isn't the same as it was in the last years.

He is a beast when Chelsea sits deep and follows a counter-attacking gameplan (e.g. Atletico de Madrid, Liverpool). He's been in superb form in these last two games. :clap:

He had some bad games this season. Outrunned many times by quick opponents. More than the times it is acceptable for a club as big as Chelsea. But credit to him, he returned freaking brilliant after the injury. Just like the good old Ashley Cole we knew.

There's no reason why he can't be first choice LB and Azpilicueta back to his natural position. They are the two best fullbacks at the club. Just because Ash started the season on a bad not doesn't mean he's not still a great player. I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he is not a great player. Many people, including Chelsea fans were quick to bury him, but he continues to prove his doubters wrong, something he has had to do all his career.

Many people, including Chelsea fans were quick to bury him, but he continues to prove his doubters wrong, something he has had to do all his career.

Bollocks. He was widely acclaimed as the best left-back in the world for a number of years so who are these doubters exactly?

The simple fact is that he hasn't been consistently good for a while now and Azpi has been fantastic at left-back. I know it's unfashionable to see the benefits of Ivanovic at right-back but he's been a solid performer and chipped in with important goals in key games. He's also incredibly important as a target man for goal-kicks.

I really want him to extend his contract.. He is obviously not gonna be the first choice LB in Chelsea, but he's still an outstanding player,, James Harden of Premier League

James Harden is probably the laziest defender in the NBA. Bit harsh on Ashley considering he's still capable of being solid.

Never quite understood his victim complex. There's not been an English footballer in the last 20 years who has been quite so unanimously viewed as world-class as he has, yet he thinks people want him to fail?? Bizarre.

Never quite understood his victim complex. There's not been an English footballer in the last 20 years who has been quite so unanimously viewed as world-class as he has, yet he thinks people want him to fail?? Bizarre.

That is true but I don't think the media and fans have always gave an easy time just because of his off the field antics for instance and then perhaps they are also quick to write him off just because he hasn't been playing much and all that.