Who takes the penalty? Hazard or Costa?

Stats

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the penalty? Hazard or Costa?

• Hazard
    • Costa
    • Let the players decide between themselves

Alright. Little debate me and CMS have been having in the Lampard thread. When we beat Wigan a few seasons ago 8-0 to win the league title under Ancelotti, CMS believes Lampard showed signs of selfishness. We were 1-0 up at the time and we had a penalty to make it 2-0. This was a must win game, otherwise United would have won the title. Anyway Drogba wanted to take the penalty as he was aiming for the top goalscorer award and threw a little strop because Lampard, the designated and most reliable penalty taker refused and he took it himself which he converted.

CMS believes this is proof of how selfish Lampard is. I disagree as I state it is club before player. We had plenty of minutes remaining to score more goals and for Drogba to achieve that personal award which he ended up doing. We also got another penalty in that game which Lampard had no problem in letting Drogba take as the game was secured by then.

So now I want to have a little debate. I am trying to create a poll and by the time I post this I hope the poll is created but it is a little confusing for me. But anyway I want to see opinions on this now. We go into our last game of the season 1 point ahead of City. City have a easy fixture on paper against Aston Villa at home while we have a game against West Brom. We are 1-0 up and have a penalty in the 32nd minute. Costa needs a goal or 2 to assure him of the top goalscorer award. Who do we let take the penalty in this instance considering the game is by no means over? Hazard because he is our usual penalty taker or Costa because he wants his personal aim of being the top scorer and recieving the golden boot award?

I would choose Hazard because in the end of the day this is about Chelsea and I don't think we should be fiddling about with penalty duties just so Costa can be guaranteed of that top goalscorer award. It is only 30 minutes gone and there is bound to be more chances for Costa in the game anyway and if he misses now we are playing a dangerous game. For that reason the designated penalty taker, Hazard is my choice to take the penalty over Costa no matter what the circumstances are.

Who would you choose to take the penalty?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hazard obviously. Costa is very bad penalty kicker, and he knows this, and Im sure that he not see problem to left the Penalty to Hazard yet when this means lose a good option to be Top Scorer goal award.

I don't think this example is comparable to the argument you guys were having because the gap between Costa's and Hazard's PK ability is considerably larger than between Lamps and Drogs. Anyways, I think the designated player should decide. If I was the official taker and wasn't feeling confident for whatever reason, I'd rather have a teammate taking it for instance. Or if I was confident in my teammate's ability to take it and he really wanted to do it I'd allow him, no problem.

I don't think this example is comparable to the argument you guys were having because the gap between Costa's and Hazard's PK ability is considerably larger than between Lamps and Drogs. Anyways, I think the designated player should decide. If I was the official taker and wasn't feeling confident for whatever reason, I'd rather have a teammate taking it for instance. Or if I was confident in my teammate's ability to take it and he really wanted to do it I'd allow him, no problem.

What was Drogba's penalty record like before that game? Had he even took much? He took some after which I know off but not before that game. Costa could have scored all his penalties for Atletico but I still would want Hazard as the penalty taker.

Hazard is a lot more selfless than Lampard is, I'm sure if Diego asked for it he would probably give it to him.

This. Didi asked for the one in CL against Maribor this season and Eden gave it to him.

But yea, if I'm Jose I would defo stick with Hazard unless the game is well secured.

If Drogba playing, we should give it to him, lol. He is the man to score in any 'final' match.

Just kidding, Hazard to take the penalty. Just as someone mentioned that if anyone asked Hazard, he will give it. I would say if Hazard offer it to Costa, Costa will refuse and give the ball back to Hazard and said something 'you take it', even if Costa who make that penalty happen.

We're proud to have players like this.

Costa is a poor PK taker. I'm pretty sure he isn't even our second choice penalty taker. When Hazard didn't play, Fabregas took the penalty against Sporting even though Costa was on the pitch and was hungry for his first CL goal. That's pretty telling.

Eden is the man, not one single doubt about it. His technique of looking at the goalkeeper the whole time has been pretty amazing. He has 100% conversion in the EPL, only two misses for Chelsea in the Champions League.

As for Diego, I am not so sure about him being a poor penalty taker. I have seen him score a few but also miss some, okay. I will always remember his penalty against us at the Bridge. It convinced me that he is the man to lead our attack.

It took the whole 90 seconds before he put it past Schwarzer. 90 seconds of some arrogance, maybe a bad pitch and most important, 90 seconds of shouting, whistling and screaming from the stands. He coped with the pressure in some style.

However, that brings me to another issue. In case of a penalty shootout, who would be your five players you would want to step up? Hazard, Fabregas, Drogba, Costa, Oscar? Assuming all of them will be still playing after the 120-minute mark. Other candidates? Maybe Luis? Our penalty shootout record is not among the best ones so it would be a nice change to have more players perfectly able to convert from the spot.