Man United v Chelsea

Jase

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our last 6 games in all comps we've won by a combined score of 16-2. United have kept 2 clean sheets this season and those were vs the bottom 2 teams (QPR & Burnley). Not to mention they drew with 17th place Sunderland and 14th place West Brom and lost to 15th place Leicester. The only points they have gotten vs a team in the top half of the table was a 2-1 win vs West Ham. If we drop points that would be a MASSIVE disappointment

Our last 6 games in all comps we've won by a combined score of 16-2. United have kept 2 clean sheets this season and those were vs the bottom 2 teams (QPR & Burnley). Not to mention they drew with 17th place Sunderland and 14th place West Brom and lost to 15th place Leicester. The only points they have gotten vs a team in the top half of the table was a 2-1 win vs West Ham. If we drop points that would be a MASSIVE disappointment

Its less impressive when you take out the Maribor 6-0... 10-2 is a two goal average, not scintillating.

Its less impressive when you take out the Maribor 6-0... 10-2 is a two goal average, not scintillating.

1 goal allowed in our last 5 games is showing our defense is starting to click again. Also, results lie, we dominated every single one of those matches.

1 goal allowed in our last 5 games is showing our defense is starting to click again. Also, results lie, we dominated every single one of those matches.

no doubt but the stats are inflated by that one lopsided game. Agree our defence and our overall play has been very good.

no doubt but the stats are inflated by that one lopsided game. Agree our defence and our overall play has been very good.

In our last 6 Premiership matches the score is 18-8 ;)

The main point was that he didn't say 'We'll go there to win because we are playing well right now, we confident etc' outrightly. Instead he was going in circles about it. Maybe it's just because Mourinho has that conservative nature about him that made me perceived his overall comments that way. I wouldn't be surprised one bit at all if we were a tad conservative in this game.

And lessen expectations? Has that ever worked, especially in such cases? Regardless of what he has said, I doubt people would suddenly stop being cocky and think this is going to be a hard game.

I think it's more of a case of "don't tickle a sleeping dragon". It's like when Liverpool were starting to get cocky before playing us at Anfield with high expectations that the title would be theirs and thumping us would be part of the ceremony. Like Gary Neville said, such comments may just spark a team and manager into life. I think we will be going for a win but Jose isn't going to announce that we would be aiming to embarrass them in front of their own fans.

I think it's more of a case of "don't tickle a sleeping dragon". It's like when Liverpool were starting to get cocky before playing us at Anfield with high expectations that the title would be theirs and thumping us would be part of the ceremony. Like Gary Neville said, such comments may just spark a team and manager into life. I think we will be going for a win but Jose isn't going to announce that we would be aiming to embarrass them in front of their own fans.

Completely agree. United have the raw quality to hurt us and we should not give them that opportunity. They've become much stronger with Blind in their starting XI - he's the type of player who brings stability to a side.

I see us playing low block (city like) to try to control Falcao and specially Di Maria; these two must not be allowed behind our defense line as there is not freaking way our CBs can chase them. Don't expect free flowing going forward because it aint happening. Mata (if he plays) is not very pacey, but his creativity and smarts make him dangerous too. Persoanlly I don't think Rooney is very influential when far away from goal so, ignore him when dangling in midfield, but watch him when close to our goal (zone marking fine for him).

Costa playing would be a huge plus as his aggression would keep their poor defense busy and worried - demanding attention (read cover) from the sides and middle. Remy just cna't do all that chasing Costa does.

They are a team in transition and as such have ups and downs. Hopefully Sunday isn't going to be the day they "click."

Characteristics wise, I don't think we are a good match for them. I mean, I dislike formations with 3 defenders because they either a) force the wingers/back to become fullbacks when attacked or; B) opponent stick players behind the winger/wingback. however, we just don't play that wide to exploit that. Out wingers actually move to the center making diagonal runs most of the time.

Anyway... can't wait!

exactly no reason to post locker room comments to motivate manure & the ole crapfort faithful. Leave that to the fans :Goober:

I want the classico to be a super boring and shitty match with all Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Ronaldo and Bale having poor games.

The next day Chelsea destroys United thanks to Hazard's best performance in a Chelsea shirt with a hat-trick.

That right there will create enough hype around Hazard and put him in every football fan's top 5 and consequently on the Ballon D'Or shortlist. Perfect dream scenario for me.

It's a bit of a blessing in disguise Rooney is not playing as van Gaal would have set him up to man-mark Fabregas and stop him from dictating the tempo of our play. With Mata, it's safe to say he can't do that. The energy Rooney brings and the miles he covers, especially in these big games, we can do without. Also his ability to shift play from side to side with wonderful cross field long passes.

I think we match-up very well against them. Our biggest strengths happen to be their biggest weaknesses, personnel wise, it plays into our hands so so much. I just hope we take the game to them and try and not play too conservatively in "low-block". Their defense is inexperienced, weak and bereft of confidence and we have some of the best attacking players in the world and are full of confidence.

We give them the respect they deserve because they are a big team and are playing at home but they aren't Bayern, Madrid or Barcelona. No reason why we can't play them similar like Madrid did to Liverpool. We are more than good enough to do it, especially if Costa starts. We need to put in a dominating performance against a top domestic rival away from home while playing attacking football, basically what has served us so well this season. No better team to do it against than Man United.

You have completely misunderstood the point. There is a difference between saying "We are going there to win" and "We are going there to play and will win". Not once have I mentioned that Mourinho should be saying the latter. In fact, that would be such a daft thing to say and one that I would never want to see my club saying that, at least publicly. My point was when he was asked the question about the approach we would take for this game, his first line of response wasn't stating our aim or ambition but rather "Try the best result. Try to play as good as we're playing and we are always trying to play...". Only when Martin Tyler asked a similar question later on, did he finally say "On Sunday, we go to win..." and even then, he was going a bit in circles with the whole win-draw good result thing, almost as if to suggest that he will stick to his conservative nature for this game rather than be positive and go for the game. Then again, maybe it's just the common perception Mourinho exudes I guess.