Man United v Chelsea

Jase

While beating around the bush of getting a point there may not be a bad result...

Eh, not really. He would reject 1 point for a draw right now, as he wants to win there. In addition, the draw was mentioned in certain circumstances during the game itself but before the game, the team go for all the points.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While beating around the bush of getting a point there may not be a bad result...

Like milan.cech just posted, he said that if we were offered a point now he wouldn't take it. I thought it was clear that he's going to go for it sunday. He's just trying to lessen the expectations of so many people thinking we're going to steam roll them.

I agree that playing Drogba has some advantages, but I don't want Drogba to start basically for the same reasons you provided: we need a runner and we need our AMs too. Drogba can't give us runs. Willian's pace is needed against Di Maria. Oscar has been great in the last couple of games and our pivot lads are used to playing with him, so I don't think it's wise to drop Oscar either. He's a link between our CMs and AMs. So if Costa and Remy are really unavailable, I'd prefer Andre taking the striker's position, with our AMs unchanged or maybe Ramires starting instead of Willian if Jose wants us to be more solid defensively.

I just don't think Schurrle will be a threat to Jones and Rojo in that centre forward position. Utd's CBs might be mistake-prone but they also have bounds of pace, so Schurrle making runs in behind might not be the best way to expose them. I think he needs to play, because he's a goal threat but I wouldn't have him be the focal point of the attack. Infact Schurrle is a lot more effective when he isn't the focal point.

I think you need a target man that's a handful and that will keep Rojo and Jones busy so that Schurrle is then able to drop into pockets of space.

I just don't think Schurrle will be a threat to Jones and Rojo in that centre forward position. Utd's CBs might be mistake-prone but they also have bounds of pace, so Schurrle making runs in behind might not be the best way to expose them. I think he needs to play, because he's a goal threat but I wouldn't have him be the focal point of the attack. Infact Schurrle is a lot more effective when he isn't the focal point.

I think you need a target man that's a handful and that will keep Rojo and Jones busy so that Schurrle is then able to drop into pockets of space.

Maybe. Hopefully Costa plays so Jose won't be forced to use either of them as a CF.

Eh, not really. He would reject 1 point for a draw right now, as he wants to win there. In addition, the draw was mentioned in certain circumstances during the game itself but before the game, the team go for all the points.

Like milan.cech just posted, he said that if we were offered a point now he wouldn't take it. I thought it was clear that he's going to go for it sunday. He's just trying to lessen the expectations of so many people thinking we're going to steam roll them.

The main point was that he didn't say 'We'll go there to win because we are playing well right now, we confident etc' outrightly. Instead he was going in circles about it. Maybe it's just because Mourinho has that conservative nature about him that made me perceived his overall comments that way. I wouldn't be surprised one bit at all if we were a tad conservative in this game.

And lessen expectations? Has that ever worked, especially in such cases? Regardless of what he has said, I doubt people would suddenly stop being cocky and think this is going to be a hard game.

I don't think they will try and outscore us, LVG isn't Wenger and for all these soundbites about his philosophy etc etc he is more than partial to dirty/defensive/park the bus tactics or whatever it's called these days. You only need to look at how he set Holland up in the World Cup semi final, I honestly expect something similar from him in this one (funny how there was no park the bus criticism for King Louis hey? ;) ).

LVG will know that he doesn't have the resources to fight fire with fire on us Sunday so will likely go defensive and hope Angel and Radamel will muster something up.

True he did this, but IMHO he doesn't have the squad to play this way. Yes LVG has this in his bag of tricks, but he will be playing in front of his home fans. He will be compelled to come at CFC with everything including the kitchen sink.

True he did this, but IMHO he doesn't have the squad to play this way. Yes LVG has this in his bag of tricks, but he will be playing in front of his home fans. He will be compelled to come at CFC with everything including the kitchen sink.

Offer a United fan a draw now and they would take it happily.

The main point was that he didn't say 'We'll go there to win because we are playing well right now, we confident etc' outrightly. Instead he was going in circles about it. Maybe it's just because Mourinho has that conservative nature about him that made me perceived his overall comments that way. I wouldn't be surprised one bit at all if we were a tad conservative in this game.

And lessen expectations? Has that ever worked, especially in such cases? Regardless of what he has said, I doubt people would suddenly stop being cocky and think this is going to be a hard game.

seriously, if this is not him being very direct about what he wants from the match, then I don't know what is. Should he say he wants to draw blood?

"We go to every match to win," Mourinho added.

"Sometimes matches go in one direction where in a pragmatic way you feel that one point becomes a good result.

"Sunday we go to win. If you give me now one point and I don't go and I don't play, I don't accept the point you give me. I want to fight for the three points."

Mourinho's words make me feel that we will destroy united this sunday, even manunited fans dont believe that they can beat us. If Diego will play i'll be very happy because Drogba isnt the same player who leave us after UCL final. If we will play our game i predict 3-0 for us.

seriously, if this is not him being very direct about what he wants from the match, then I don't know what is. Should he say he wants to draw blood?

:lol:

Cheers for taking one part of what he said to make my point seem out of context.

Guess there isn't any point taking what Mourinho's approach would be like for this game. Action speaks louder than words.

Here's a favorable stat - Chelsea have scored in 9 of their last 10 Premier League matches against Manchester United.