Chelsea 1-1 Schalke

Jase

Man of the Match  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

Ok I just have to get one thing off my chest - can we NOT turn every criticism Cesc gets into an accusation of people scapegoating him? There are a couple areas of his game that he's weak in and I think to cry 'scapegoating' when someone points out these weaknesses is just such a cheap attempt to silence a conflicting opinion. It's also a double standard because we only seem to see evidence of scapegoating when it's a player that we rate highly. It's fine to be protective or defensive of players that we like but to try to undermine genuine opinions by painting it as scapegoating....I'm sorry but that seems to me like playing favoritism.

As for the result - we drew mainly to poor finishing, take it on the chin and move on people. Still a lot of football to be played and in the grande scheme of things, drawing at home to Schalke isn't the worst thing that could happen this season.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could afford the draw tonight, Drogba needed the minutes, long old season ahead.

A draw wasn't terrible. Every in the group has a point now. It means we can't wrap up the group in 4 but we still can top it. Wasn't mad Drogba started just thought we made too many changes overall.

I don't even know how to start commenting on these two phrases...

How could you possibly say that our defense was our weak point last season when Torres and Eto'o were our main strikers?!

And how in the world can one understand this second phrase you wrote, how you managed to connect Luiz to this? And if you are saying what I think you are saying - that Cahill isn't a world class defender, well, I don't have anything much to say to you, I really don't.

Get a grip.

You are new in this forum, thats why you don't have a clue about what I'm talking about.

Ok I just have to get one thing off my chest - can we NOT turn every criticism Cesc gets into an accusation of people scapegoating him? There are a couple areas of his game that he's weak in and I think to cry scapegoating when someone points out these weaknesses is just such a cheap attempt to silence a conflicting opinion. It's also a double standard because we only seem to see evidence of scapegoating when it's a player that we rate highly. It's fine to be protective or defensive of players that we like but to try to undermine genuine opinions by painting it as scapegoating....I'm sorry but that seems to me like playing favoritism.

As for the result - we drew mainly to poor finishing, take it on the chin and move on people. Still a lot of football to be played and in the grande scheme of things, drawing at home to Schalke isn't the worst thing that could happen this season.

Definitely agree 100%, Dee. For the first time ever, I made a critical comment in passing, on how I thought "Fabregas was poor" today, and I got hammered for it and accused of "scapegoating" him. C'mon people. Seriously?

That's the worst thing you could've said. Now I'm really curious. He was always so happy and in a good mood haha. Can't imagine him doing something bad.

OK now I'm curious. PM me, maybe?

Let me put it this way. It was the most "WTF!" moment I've ever seen on TC. Does that help? :P

I don't even know the guy, but if this PM is ever sent, make sure I'm copied :P

Way to make people curious, Choulo, you should be banned for that :Goober:

I don't even know how to start commenting on these two phrases... How could you possibly say that our defense was our weak point last season when Torres and Eto'o were our main strikers?! And how in the world can one understand this second phrase you wrote, how you managed to connect Luiz to this? And if you are saying what I think you are saying - that Cahill isn't a world class defender, well, I don't have anything much to say to you, I really don't. Get a grip.

He's nowhere near being world class lol. Gomis was bullying him only the other week!

Worldie? tell us more

She came and sat next to me, pushed her arse against my waist. I got a semi, cheekily looked at her face in the window reflection and it hastily became a full stork, saw she had an engagement ring and it shrunk back to a cocktail sausage quicker than you can say quiddich

I heard he started his own business selling hot air balloon flights and is now considered quite a successful entrepreneur?

I wouldn't know. Mainly because I could never understand what "entrepreneur" means. Probably because it sounds French...

Ok I just have to get one thing off my chest - can we NOT turn every criticism Cesc gets into an accusation of people scapegoating him? There are a couple areas of his game that he's weak in and I think to cry 'scapegoating' when someone points out these weaknesses is just such a cheap attempt to silence a conflicting opinion. It's also a double standard because we only seem to see evidence of scapegoating when it's a player that we rate highly. It's fine to be protective or defensive of players that we like but to try to undermine genuine opinions by painting it as scapegoating....I'm sorry but that seems to me like playing favoritism.

in my defense, I think people are being harsh on him for a while. Every time he's praised many make sure to add a PS at the end of their analyses saying how he's a liability (and yes, I've read this word being thrown at him a few times).

I'm not basing my feelings on the reaction today, but ever since he's here. When he makes a magnificent pass like the one for Schurrle's goal, people don't say much negative, but other than that it seems like even when they're praising him a footnote is added about how 'he can't press, can't tackle, is causing us a defensive problem'.

The defensive problem comes from a change of style and relying much more on Matic... but then Matic isn't on his best yet and it's still early days and the things don't go as we want them to go. But we can't expect Cesc to improve much better defensively. That's not the player he is, that's not what Mourinho wanted from him when he brought him here. He can improve and Skip convinced me he will improve some, but he's not a holding midfield, he's an ex-Arsenal player and he's had some bad months on Barcelona. People trust him distrusting him.

She came and sat next to me, pushed her arse against my waist. I got a semi, cheekily looked at her face in the window reflection and it hastily became a full stork, saw she had an engagement ring and it shrunk back to a cocktail sausage quicker than you can say quiddich

that happens on Virgin trains ,,, try KNOTWORK south east

in my defense, I think people are being harsh on him for a while. Every time he's praised many make sure to add a PS at the end of their analyses saying how he's a liability (and yes, I've read this word being thrown at him a few times).

I'm not basing my feelings on the reaction today, but ever since he's here. When he makes a magnificent pass like the one for Schurrle's goal, people don't say much negative, but other than that it seems like even when they're praising him a footnote is added about how 'he can't press, can't tackle, is causing us a defensive problem'.

The defensive problem comes from a change of style and relying much more on Matic... but then Matic isn't on his best yet and it's still early days and the things don't go as we want them to go. But we can't expect Cesc to improve much better defensively. That's not the player he is, that's not what Mourinho wanted from him when he brought him here. He can improve and Skip convinced me he will improve some, but he's not a holding midfield, he's an ex-Arsenal player and he's had some bad months on Barcelona. People trust him distrusting him.

But why does the truth bother you? Its clear that those things are true while its also clear that he is a world class performer.

Courtois - 7 - Decent when called upon and couldn't do much for the goal when his defence opened up like the goddamn red sea.

Ivanovic - 5 - Always out of position, very good going forwards as usual, especially when we're chasing the game, but needs to track back more. Has cost us goals this season and now points.

Cahill - 5 - God only knows what he was doing for the Schalke goal. Why would you back off that much?

Terry - 6 - Decent, but no more, didn't get beaten in the air much all night.

Luis - 7 - Very good starting debut, was a pleasure to see some amazing crosses coming in from our left hand side, and brilliant at 1 on 1 tackling.

Matic - 6 - Got beaten by Draxler a few times which was out of character but also made a few good dispossessions in defence.

Fabregas - 7 - Lost ball for the goal but you'd think someone else might bother covering for his mistake, decent goal but should have had another. That was a sitter.

Hazard - 8 - Very good all night IMO. Caused a lot of problems for their defence and even tracked back a few times to help Luis out.

Willian - 6 - Not his best game. His usual industrial self but no creativity and he didn't get much time on the ball.

Ramires - 5 - Decent energy but like Willian didn't offer much more all game. Seems a passenger at times, and didn't even try for Schalke's goal.

Drogba - 2 - Made Torres' performances in a Chelsea shirt look good. Terrible. Seemed to lose the ball at least 75% of the times he had hold of it.

Oscar (sub) - 5 - No impact to the game. No idea why he was brought on though, this wasn't his kind of game.

Remy (sub) - 7 - Great cameo, unlucky not to score and get an assist in the time he was on the pitch.

Costa (sub) - 6 - Didn't do much. Drifted out a little bit too much for my liking but didn't have long and Schalke were already in ultra defensive mode by then.

Courtois - 7 - Decent when called upon and couldn't do much for the goal when his defence opened up like the goddamn red sea.

Ivanovic - 5 - Always out of position, very good going forwards as usual, especially when we're chasing the game, but needs to track back more. Has cost us goals this season and now points.

Cahill - 5 - God only knows what he was doing for the Schalke goal. Why would you back off that much?

Terry - 6 - Decent, but no more, didn't get beaten in the air much all night.

Luis - 7 - Very good starting debut, was a pleasure to see some amazing crosses coming in from our left hand side, and brilliant at 1 on 1 tackling.

Matic - 6 - Got beaten by Draxler a few times which was out of character but also made a few good dispossessions in defence.

Fabregas - 7 - Lost ball for the goal but you'd think someone else might bother covering for his mistake, decent goal but should have had another. That was a sitter.

Hazard - 8 - Very good all night IMO. Caused a lot of problems for their defence and even tracked back a few times to help Luis out.

Willian - 6 - Not his best game. His usual industrial self but no creativity and he didn't get much time on the ball.

Ramires - 5 - Decent energy but like Willian didn't offer much more all game. Seems a passenger at times, and didn't even try for Schalke's goal.

Drogba - 2 - Made Torres' performances in a Chelsea shirt look good. Terrible. Seemed to lose the ball at least 75% of the times he had hold of it.

Oscar (sub) - 5 - No impact to the game. No idea why he was brought on though, this wasn't his kind of game.

Remy (sub) - 7 - Great cameo, unlucky not to score and get an assist in the time he was on the pitch.

Costa (sub) - 6 - Didn't do much. Drifted out a little bit too much for my liking but didn't have long and Schalke were already in ultra defensive mode by then.

good ratings IMO

Talk about blowing some chances to kill the game off. Cesc had an absolute gimme to go up 2-0. You could tell Jose was getting more and more uncomfortable with the score stuck at 1-0.

Filipe Luis looked excellent in his first start, was very impressed. Remy needs to be our choice uptop when Diego is sitting. He's looked a decent threat in both opportunities so far. Matic doesn't look like he's found his stride yet this season. At the end of last year thought he was arguably playing as well as anyone on our side. A real force in the middle.

And Ramires...for the love of God put a challenge in on that breakaway!