Jase

Man of the Match  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what happens when you rest someone with 7 goals in 4 games and start a half fit 36 year old in his place. Not on about the sitter he missed but his all round contribution was shocking. Cahill was pretty poor as well.

"We should be able to rotate 4 or 5 players and still beat Schalke" remember those idiotic comments. They could have beat us tonight.

Just because we've won 4 out of 4 PL games doesn't mean we are the best team in Europe, big reality check. Play like that against City and we will lose.

Filipe Luis is brilliant though.

Mourinho himself just said Costa can't play 3x a week due to his hamstring. Problem was Drogba had a poor game and we definitely should have started Remy.

Think we were unlucky and Schalke had one of odd great defensive displays where they kept everything somehow, apart from Cesc goal.

Only negative was starting Drogba and then playing him after half time. The legend is nowhere near fitness that is required for such games, too old. Oh and defence needs to be sorted out. We are fucking slow, it will hurt us against big teams...

We fought hard in the end. but it was realy strong defence by Schalke, and us being unlucky. Need to bounce back vs City.

P.S. @Jason, so much for that big win yeah, think I owe you that beer...

Sorry BUT we werent UNLUCKY

That's why I didn't want Drogba back. For fuck's sake.

Good: Luis, Cesc, Eden. Some wonderful passing from Cesc and linkup play between Cesc and Eden, but both wasted clear chances, though created a lot of chances for others too. Since Cesc actually scored, voted for him. But can't help but think if Drogba didn't start, we would have easily won the game.

I think performance was fine. Pretty much same as all our other performances this season, except we couldnt finish. It's really as simple as that. All the good and bad things we did today, we've done in precious games. But we've outscored everyone so people don't nitpick.

Shouldn't have started with Drogba. Worse, he came back out for the second half.

This match proved two things. You must take your chances or it will come back to bite you. The next thing is we should never get complacent and underestimate any CL team.

To think that there quite a few people saying that it would be ok for all of Fabregas, Hazard and Costa to be rested for this game shows how naive and complacent some people are. As I said in the pre-match you cannot underestimate the CL and thinking you can take out your 3 best players for rotation is ludicrous considering this is our first CL game. Hope some people wake up really. A few were treating this match like a carling cup game by even hoping Baker would feature and Zouma start. Just :doh:

Anyway we should have taken our chances. Luckily we have got a kind group so the draw does not really disappoint me much. Bring on City.

lol, get over it.

You're acting like Zouma has never played against good teams before. Why? This would have been the perfect match to ease him in as I've said before. Saying Zouma should start is treating this like a carling cup game is ridiculous. He's not a bad player at all, he would have done better than Cahill anyway

Tbh, people are overeacting way too much. José got his tactics wrong but hey, it's early in the season and now we know Drogba is our 3rd option striker.

The thing José got wrong was probably starting Ramires instead of Oscar, Ramires wasn't bad but this is not the type of match suited to his strenghts. I guess Mourinho wanted to test the formation we most likely will play against City but was wrong in playing it against Schalke. They where happy to let us come to them, and hardly pressed us. Oscar would've been a better option from the start, using him as a sub was wasteful because he's hardly an impact sub. The only real negative (besides Drogba) was the way Huntelaar got his goal, our defence need a cracker up their arse, unacceptable!

Anyway on to City! They lost btw against Bayern.

Jose didn't even get his tactics wrong IMO, we created plenty, just weren't clinical. The only thing Jose got wrong was starting Drogba ahead of Remy.

Perhaps so but you can't deny that was an average performance, especially when we failed to control the game and still looking suspect defensively.

Of course but a average or poor performance was always coming. So the many chances in such a performances is a positive sign. Just need to finish.

I honestly didn't think the defending was that bad. Schalke mostly came up with long shots. But yeah, the concetration tends too slip a bit too often.

This game also shows why Schurrle is so crucial for us and why in my opinion he should start. He is the only one really who can finish off a chance apart from Costa. In teams that sit back, it is absolutely necessary to play him. For teams that tend to attack we may be playing Ramires instead, but if on Sunday's game Ramires starts then I'd wonder back to today and why Schurrle didn't start because he surely wasn't being rested.

The reason he didn't start is because he was rubbish the game before.

best thing about this game is that no injuries were picked up for man city

As well as the point we gained

Don't forget that we did get a point! It was a draw, not a loss and we are still unbeaten in this season (not including pre-season since that's not the season).

I think Luis did pretty well for a debut. I definitely prefer him there over Azpi. Produced a nice cross for Didier too.

Not the best result though. I don't think Didier should have started at all and Remy would have been enough.

He made his debut at Goodison Park

Mourinho made a capital mistake today: he believed the media - and even Keller - that Schalke couldn't win because of a battered defense and he played with his emotions by choosing Drogba to start.

That, not Cahill cowardice to run towards opponents, or other players that wasted chances, or our clueless defense cost us the three points.

Drogba not only wasted a few chances himself - too many for my taste - but was a passenger. Had we started with Remy (can't blame the guy if someone makes a clearance under the goal) we should have won this comfortably.

Surely, this doesn't excuse the others' mistakes. Cesc was tackled and lost the ball in the attack in their goal, but our midfield and defense LITERALLY watched Draxler and Huntelar. Sorry, if I see a difference between this goal and Swansea's first goal. Back then Matic decided to hold the ball instead of passing and we actually tried to stop their attack. Today we just watched. You see Willian running his lungs off, but not being able to tackle, despite reaching Huntelaar, but everyone else is just watching. The way Draxler - who's talented, I admit that - passes by Ramires so easily, and how our defense watches and Cahill walks backwards, AS ALWAYS, instead of closing in, is RIDICULOUS. RIDICULOUS.

I don't know which was worse, our positioning and passiveness in the defense or our wasting ways in the attack.

We actually pressed well today in the first half, but we were too complacent. Cesc missed a goal he shouldn't. Drogba a few chances, then Remy, then Hazard. Ugh, it was annoying as hell. But I still blame this defeat - it feels like a defeat, not only a draw - on Mourinho's sentimentalism. Had he not been emotional or believed the media BS about Schalke fragility, we would have won this match in the first half already.

I'm annoyed at him and the team, but I'm also very annoyed at people on the forum. Everyone is entitled to have their opinions, but some people's concept of supporting our players is baffling. Cesc is going to become the scapegoat - undeservedly - the moment he goes two matches without scoring. He played a part today in the draw - by missing a clear chance, and being tackled in their goal. But he's one of the players that contributed the most defensively, being everywhere, tackling like there was no tomorrow, and he continued to create good chances. Still the posts I read in the live match could make one believe he was wearing the #11 shirt today...

I'm not going to touch much of the Drogba issue. I'll just settle to say that was a pathetic display of a player that is only a shadow of himself. He's past it, it's not his fault. Mourinho should be more rational and I hope he's learned his lesson. Drogba shouldn't be starting matches for us anymore, let alone an UCL debut. I don't blame him, because he tried really hard. He's just past it... his first touch was sad to watch. The chance he missed in the second and then a cross he's received two minutes later where his first touch got the ball meters away from him just showcase what he is currently.

Sorry BUT we werent UNLUCKY

Think we were good, created a lot, but Schalke stopped every fucking attempt somehow. And their defence wasnt even made from starters, not to mention Boateng in midfield. They would eat five goals another day, but tonight it was their day. Schalke had out of the world performance in defence, despite us creating tons of chances, think we were unlucky.