Filipe Luís

Jase

I always wonder why fullbacks don't take pride in shutting down the opponent's best players. Seeing as most of nowadays' stars are wingers it baffles me that one wouldn't love to go against them game in, game out and put his mark on the game by completely destroying a team's main threat. That's one of the things I loved about Ash. He competed with the best of the best and neutralized everyone and everything coming down his flank during his prime.

Wingers cut inside though, and don't occupy wide positions a whole lot. So while their influence has increased in football, it's not as much about winger vs fullback anymore. And when they do face them, they're usually on the losing side anyway since wingers cut in on their weaker foot.

I don't think it's that they don't take pride in their job though. Players like Alaba used to play further forward and were moved back because they were deemed not talented enough. A player like Marcelo for example doesn't mind and adopts the new role, whereas someone like Alaba still has ambitions (ego?).

And then you have a guy like Lahm that plays fullback for over 10 years, is tried in the middle, likes playing there and doesn't want to play fullback anymore haha. Playing fullback is a pain though, the most physically demanding role in football if you are asked to contribute on both ends of the pitch. If you don't attack enough, you are critcised for not providing enough offensive threat. And if you do go forward a lot, you are criticised for leaving space in the back.

EDIT: Ash is from the old school, an actual defender. Nowadays you have to be a hybrid.

Alaba defensively is very suspect but he plays in for a team in a league where he rarely gets tested and the fact he plays for Bayern only enhances his reputaion. Personally, I don't believe he's the best left back in the world.

Alaba defensively is very suspect but he plays in for a team in a league where he rarely gets tested and the fact he plays for Bayern only enhances his reputaion. Personally, I don't believe he's the best left back in the world.

This. He's good, but Bayern make everyone look good. I don't believe he's the best lb, i don't think Bernat is a top 10 player in his position, neither is Gotze. The Bayern effect.

There's this talk about him staying or leaving, i think it would be extremely stupid to let him go. There isnt a better LB to get (same as last summer), and Ivanovic needs to stop starting every game. Luis got this, we saw it in Atletico when he was the 2nd-3rd best LB in Europe.

There's this talk about him staying or leaving, i think it would be extremely stupid to let him go. There isnt a better LB to get (same as last summer), and Ivanovic needs to stop starting every game. Luis got this, we saw it in Atletico when he was the 2nd-3rd best LB in Europe.

THIS.

even if luis is a little "circumspect" defensively, he can still do a very good job there (just watch ATM last season if you dont believe me).

jose is trying to even out things by having hazard on the left and not having him track back and have some defensive cover on the left with azpi. meanwhile having iva and willian on the right trying to cover each other. but this approach is not working as well. its time he gave azpi-luis a chance as the full back pairing.

For me the best in the world are probably Alba and Marcelo. But I can name many LBs that are better than Luis like Rodriguez, Kolarov, Coentrao...etc.

Like I said, Luis is an excellent LB, but just not in the same league as the best in the world and it seems that only a few of our fans see him in that league.

Filipe was best LB in world last season IMO. He was one of key reasons why Atletico formed a great defense along Godin.

Not to mention Filipe was equaly good in defense and attack, while players like Marcelo are not even proper defenders.

Meanwhile Rodriguez, Kolarov Coentrao sorry but lol. Rodriguez has long way to go, while Kolarov and Coentrao are very inconsistent.

This season, well Luis is not even playing much and its hard to say. But I still rather have him than on bench than any of those you mentioned bar Marcelo who is fantastic in offense.

Filipe was best LB in world last season IMO. He was one of key reasons why Atletico formed a great defense along Godin.

Not to mention Filipe was equaly good in defense and attack, while players like Marcelo are not even proper defenders.

Meanwhile Rodriguez, Kolarov Coentrao sorry but lol. Rodriguez has long way to go, while Kolarov and Coentrao are very inconsistent.

This season, well Luis is not even playing much and its hard to say. But I still rather have him than on bench than any of those you mentioned bar Marcelo who is fantastic in offense.

I think he was good, but Alaba is in a league of his own IMO.

Wingers cut inside though, and don't occupy wide positions a whole lot. So while their influence has increased in football, it's not as much about winger vs fullback anymore. And when they do face them, they're usually on the losing side anyway since wingers cut in on their weaker foot.

I don't think it's that they don't take pride in their job though. Players like Alaba used to play further forward and were moved back because they were deemed not talented enough. A player like Marcelo for example doesn't mind and adopts the new role, whereas someone like Alaba still has ambitions (ego?).

And then you have a guy like Lahm that plays fullback for over 10 years, is tried in the middle, likes playing there and doesn't want to play fullback anymore haha. Playing fullback is a pain though, the most physically demanding role in football if you are asked to contribute on both ends of the pitch. If you don't attack enough, you are critcised for not providing enough offensive threat. And if you do go forward a lot, you are criticised for leaving space in the back.

EDIT: Ash is from the old school, an actual defender. Nowadays you have to be a hybrid.

Still there have been cases when fullbacks shut out wingers by tracking them wherever they went with the other defenders covering the space left behind. Having played Fullback myself. Some of the most underrated but crucial performances in recent football history have come from fullbacks some tracked the winger all over the pitch like Bosinga, played as left-back under hiddink to defend messi and did so with great effect and under RDM to almost nullify the threat of Ribery. Others held their positions and just defended what was in front of them for example Messi, Higuain, Agüero and di Maria all were shut out by Arne Friedrich in 2010 and Höwedes in 2014. It is sad those guys won't get remembered. they were at least as good defenders as the opponents they stuffed in their pockets were attackers. I always thought there was more to football than goals and fancy dribblings but common opinion seems to disagree - fuelled by those ridiculous individual awards.

In general the fullback position might very well be the most underrated in importance. Their runs open the space for the star winger to attack, with all wingers cutting in, they are the people to provide width. Like you said the constant running up and down the flank makes it physically more demanding than most other positions. The feeling shutting down the opposition's best player is extremely rewarding though. Let them run past you, let them nutmeg you, just turn and trust in your pace, eyes on the ball and catch it before they can do something dangerous with it. That is what defending as a fullback is all about. Being a shadow. Actually pace is more important in defense than in attack here. Even though i liked attacking more than defending in general, as a fullback i excelled much more in defending. Having won the ball after some hard sprints it was a pain in the ass to turn, run down the flank again in order to find a pass or a cross. Which is probably why most fullbacks are much better defenders than attackers or the other way round.

Which brings us to Luis. He is almost equally good at both, which is so rare and what makes him one of the best leftbacks in the world. I have only seen this completeness in Lahm before. Lahm himself wanted to use his versatility in midfield which almost cost us the world cup. He is so fucking crap in DM against decent opposition. Being about as tall as my left thigh and almost as heavy. my grandmother could ease him of the ball. going backwards. with her zimmer.

But back to Luis. His completeness is rather underappreciated here. Mou probably insists on playign Iva and Azpi in most important games because their deficiencies and strengths complement each other better also regarding the very different ability ranges of Willian and Hazard on their respective sides. though if we had another, right-sided luis filipe, i am pretty sure i know who would play in the fullback positions. btw great attitude http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9784837/filipe-luis-happy-at-chelsea-and-plans-to-see-out-blues-contract

Alaba's talent is overestimated because of his team. no doubt he is good, but not best LB.

I don't think so. He has everything, and normally is the star man for Austria. No LB has the same qualities as him.

• 3 weeks later...

Atletico Madrid have opened talks with Chelsea over re-signing left back Filipe Luis in the summer.

The La Liga club are hoping to capitalise on Luis' lack of first team football at Stamford Bridge to take him back to Vicente Calderon.

Chelsea signed the Brazil international, who played a major role in Atletico winning La Liga and reaching the Champions League Final last season, for £16 million.

But the Brazilian has spent much of the campaign on the bench due to the form of first choice Cesar Azpilicueta.

Luis has made just 18 starts in all competitions, of which just seven have been in the Premier League.

His last appearance of any kind was against Hull a month ago and that came four weeks after his previous one.

Chelsea played down reports in Spain earlier in the year that Luis was frustrated at the club and wanted to leave.

Luis also committed his future to the club earlier this month, saying: "I’m happy at Chelsea. I want to stay at the club until the end of my contract."

However, Atletico believe they have a chance of buying the 29-year-old, whose deal runs out in 2017, and are looking to get him back for less than the £16m Chelsea paid.

As Standard Sport first revealed last month, Chelsea have made Atletico's star midfielder Koke one of their main summer targets.

While using Luis as part of a swap deal is unlikely, Atletico's interest will provide them with some leverage.

Koke has a £44m release clause in his contract and the two clubs have a good relationship from Chelsea loaning Thibaut Courtois to them for three seasons.

Should Luis leave the club, Chelsea will need to buy another full back. But it is understood manager Jose Mourinho is keen to buy West Ham's Aaron Cresswell.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-transfer-news-atletico-madrid-open-talks-to-resign-filipe-luis-as-mourinho-eyes-move-for-west-hams-cresswell-10197279.html