Diego Costa

Spike

luxury buys can be more disruptive than good in my opinion. look at the willian buy for instance. it took away mata and kdb's playtime and forced them out. buying sanchez/dimaria would mean one of oscar/willian on the bench, salah getting next to no playing time and schurrle getting cup matches here or there.

same goes with pogba. renders mvg and rambo useless cos we already have cesc and matic.

Willian was/is never in the same class as those guys though. That's why in another thread I suggested selling Willian. He's not a player i'm convinced by at all. He's not like Oscar for example. At least with Oscar, when he's not as it his best you could say he's of a higher standard and is under-performing, with Willian it seems to be his true level. He is to me a very limited player. Bundles of energy, but incredibly unproductive. He's also shown nothing (goals/assist stat wise) in his previous clubs to sway my opinion. Will he improve, yes. But he isn't just going to turn it on all of a sudden. I hope he proves us wrong and becomes more decisive, but somehow I don't see it. And as for restricting other players, I don't buy that. If you're good enough, you'll play. This is how it is at the big clubs.

That's why I suggest we cover all bases. Of course, I'll rather we made our 3rd big signing a Paul Pogba. I'll take that over a Di Maria cos he's a player we need, especially if Mourinho plans to play Cesc as the number 10, which I'm starting to suspect he would. But why can't our 4th be a Di Maria if he's available? We're also very attractive to foreign players now. Young, super talented team. Top coach. Most posh location in the best and biggest city in England. We have money to spend from the PL TV rights, from semi-finals of the CL and from Luiz's Christmas gift transfer. That's not even including the standard transfer budget. Not all that money will be made available for transfers, but still that's a LOT of money.

Jake Cohen does an excellent job breaking down how much we have available to spend: http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/6/5/5777740/chelsea-summer-transfer-budget

I'm actually watching a replay of Diego Costa vs Valencia match from last season, for those interested and with time on your hands to waste.

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/spain/la-liga/atletico-madrid-vs-valencia-2

Atletico didn't even create many chances but he still managed to be almost unplayable against a good la liga team. His footwork is also very impressive.

Willian was/is never in the same class as those guys though. That's why in another thread I suggested selling Willian. He's not a player i'm convinced by at all. He's not like Oscar for example. At least with Oscar, when he's not as it his best you could say he's of a higher standard and is under-performing, with Willian it seems to be his true level. He is to me a very limited player. Bundles of energy, but incredibly unproductive. He's also shown nothing (goals/assist stat wise) in his previous clubs to sway my opinion. Will he improve, yes. But he isn't just going to turn it on all of a sudden. I hope he proves us wrong and becomes more decisive, but somehow I don't see it. And as for restricting other players, I don't buy that. If you're good enough, you'll play. This is how it is at the big clubs.

That's why I suggest we cover all bases. Of course, I'll rather we made our 3rd big signing a Paul Pogba. I'll take that over a Di Maria cos he's a player we need, especially if Mourinho plans to play Cesc as the number 10, which I'm starting to suspect he would. But why can't our 4th be a Di Maria if he's available? We're also very attractive to foreign players now. Young, super talented team. Top coach. Most posh location in the best and biggest city in England. We have money to spend from the PL TV rights, from semi-finals of the CL and from Luiz's Christmas gift transfer. That's not even including the standard transfer budget. Not all that money will be made available for transfers, but still that's a LOT of money.

Jake Cohen does an excellent job breaking down how much we have available to spend: http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/6/5/5777740/chelsea-summer-transfer-budget

dude, i know we can afford to spend 150mil with the new samsung deal, pl deal, luiz sale. but the point is DO WE?

jose has always loved a small 18-20 player squad. a squad where everyone knows their roles. buying players we dont need disrupts not only that but also the dressing room harmony where players see that they are being replaced despite being in the title race till the 2nd last game week and the semis of the CL and that too without a good striker. buying players we dont need would create a situation like the RM galacticos. u dont need 25 WC players to win the league. u can do it with a squad like united under SAF's last season.

as for willian, i disagree. he might not have been in the goals and assists last season but he had a very good first season in PL. dont forget how poor and headless chicken-ish maria was in his first 3years at RM.infact willian for us this has been far better than what maria was at RM for 3 seasons under jose. only this season has maria been phenomenol, i think willian deserves the same amount of time.

cesc was not bought to play no.10. jose has continously said that oscar is our no.10. we have let go off lamps and replaced him directly with cesc. even in jose's interview about cesc he said something like having different trype of CMs not no.10.

in short, there is no need for another AM like maria unless we get an OTT bid for one of our AMs and need to replace them. pogba would be a wonderful buy if can offload rambo. but until we sell someone out of our existing squad, all we needed was a CM, ST and LB, 2 of which we already have got.

Real photo?

Mods:

And move this thread to the squad sub-forum... :)

WE'LL MOVE WHEN WE WANT TO! WE'LL MOVE WHEN WE WANT TO!! WE'LL MOVE WHEN WE WANT TO!!!

It'll be moved once we confirm the signing. Now, it's just the agreement with Atletico. Someone could always hijack the medical. :Goober:

I'm actually watching a replay of Diego Costa vs Valencia match from last season, for those interested and with time on your hands to waste.

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullmatch/spain/la-liga/atletico-madrid-vs-valencia-2

Atletico didn't even create many chances but he still managed to be almost unplayable against a good la liga team. His footwork is also very impressive.

This video aside, his PKs are awful. LOL as long as Eden (or even Cesc) is on the pitch we won't have to worry about that.

I have little to no doubts that he will do well for us!

What i'm interested to see is how he takes his chances and how he gets his goals. This does depend on whether he gets good service BUT when it's not going well, can he make something out of nothing. I've watched Diego Costa for a while and he does get stuck in and give the defenders a real handful but he shows his frustration when it isn't going well for him. He is a very passionate player (like Didier, opposite of Torres -which is always a good thing) but even Drogba had bad moments in his earlier years when the fans weren't too fond of him.

Nevertheless, Welcome Diego :yes:

Real photo?

Mods:

And move this thread to the squad sub-forum... :)

Not yet. And I was wondering the same thing but maybe they are waiting for Costa to officially sing his contract. It's only an agreement for now. :)

The top comments on facebook made me laugh 'Waste', 'He sucks bring back Lukaku', ' we don't want him'.

Christ almighty its irritating when he doesnt even have to miss a chance in a blue shirt before 'fans' jump on him. Ridiculous. If all works out well for him we won't be reading that! More like 'Awesome', 'Sell Lukaku we have Costa!' and 'Please stay forever'.

Welcome Diego, fingers crossed you prove the doubters wrong and score a hatful. I am keeping my expectations low but that's understandable in recent years haha!

Most of the people that comment on the Facebook fan pages make Bushman look like Peace.

Most of the people that comment on the Facebook fan pages make Bushman look like Peace.

Speaking of Bushman, did he finally get banned? Haven't seen the little guy here in a while.