James Rodríguez

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Sanchez, Griezmann, Dybala, Aubameyang, Reus, Di Maria.Mahrez Off the top of my head. Worth going after for that kind of money. .  

Di Maria is a no no Mahrez or Sanchez would be cool we don't need Aubameyang we have Costa :D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, akgw13 said:

I think if we DO actually pull this off he will work out great. I saw on twitter if you view it as Oscar + 12 million it looks pretty damn good. We have been longing for a Left footed attacker who is a goal threat and can pick a pass no? James is a left footed attacker who is a long range goal threat and can pick a pass. Yes, he is slower than we all would have liked but he isnt Cesc/Alonso level slow. Plus we also have 7 men behind him who can cover up for him like we do with hazard, he has moses/Kante/Azpi behind him and Conte will drill him into at least a decent defensive performance. 

We have been complaining about Pedro/Willain for as long as i can remember and how bad we looked against teams who defend deeply. James could potentially solve BOTH problems and free up some tactical flexibility, while also taking some attention away from hazard/costa which frees up space for them.

Most importantly to me, if Conte wants him than I want him. He has shown he can get things out of players nobody expected. A solid defensive leader David Luiz? A well behaved Diego Costa? Hazard working to get the ball back? Matic the assist machine? Moses the stud RWB? Cesc a hard working professional demeanor super sub determined to earn his spot back?

James has something special in his left footed going forward and it could be exactly what we need to help us get to the next level. Plus if i said Oscar + 12 mill for James Rodriguez everyone would say "yes please" this wont deter us from spending in the Jan/Summer windows it is found money in my eyes.

You can't look at it as Oscar + 12M though because anyone you talk to will tell you Oscar's transfer kitty is a windfall of epic proportions. To waste that money and then some on Rodriguez turns that windfall into a wash... 

Is James tactically diverse enough to play in a number of different roles or is he just gonna replace Pedro or Willian as our ride sided player? 

I want someone who will add to what is already being built, not another Cuadrado.

2 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

You can't look at it as Oscar + 12M though because anyone you talk to will tell you Oscar's transfer kitty is a windfall of epic proportions. To waste that money and then some on Rodriguez turns that windfall into a wash... 

Is James tactically diverse enough to play in a number of different roles or is he just gonna replace Pedro or Willian as our ride sided player? 

I want someone who will add to what is already being built, not another Cuadrado.

To "Waste" is quite a strong statement. I understand you really must not rate him if you think it is throwing away the cash. I can't change your opinion on him and some people seem to think he is a truly useless player by what i am reading which i do not agree with. 

As i have said before i view our front 3 as interchangeable attackers which I believe James has the skills and smarts to thrive in. Freedom with creative players is what we should be after. I think he has the smarts and skill set to play in a variety of formations as i am of the belief that talented players can fill a variety of roles. he could play the furthest up in a 352 (James, Kante, Matic) could play the #10 if conte ever wanted(incredibly unlikely) I think he can fill the right attacking side of the 343 or in a 433.

I believe he adds something that we currently are lacking and we are a better team with him in it. Cuadrado would have been useful to us this year if he wanted to stay but Mourinho soured his view of chelsea to a point that it couldnt be redeemed so I dont think its necessarily fair to bring him up.

25 minutes ago, Strike said:

Sanchez, Griezmann, Dybala, Aubameyang, Reus, Di Maria.Mahrez Off the top of my head. Worth going after for that kind of money. .  

Atletico won't sell Griezmann and same goes for Juve and Dybala :) Mahrez or Sanchez of that list ;) 

19 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

To "Waste" is quite a strong statement. I understand you really must not rate him if you think it is throwing away the cash. I can't change your opinion on him and some people seem to think he is a truly useless player by what i am reading which i do not agree with. 

As i have said before i view our front 3 as interchangeable attackers which I believe James has the skills and smarts to thrive in. Freedom with creative players is what we should be after. I think he has the smarts and skill set to play in a variety of formations as i am of the belief that talented players can fill a variety of roles. he could play the furthest up in a 352 (James, Kante, Matic) could play the #10 if conte ever wanted(incredibly unlikely) I think he can fill the right attacking side of the 343 or in a 433.

I believe he adds something that we currently are lacking and we are a better team with him in it. Cuadrado would have been useful to us this year if he wanted to stay but Mourinho soured his view of chelsea to a point that it couldnt be redeemed so I dont think its necessarily fair to bring him up.

Do you think James is worth 70M?

1 minute ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Do you think James is worth 70M?

In a market where Raheem Sterling and John Stones are 50m and we sold Oscar to china for 60, if the coach wants James than Yes I do think he is worth it.

If i am starting a team from scratch and have 70m to spend on one player, maybe not. But in our situation, with what we need, and if Conte wants him than Yes.

I would rather spend the money on Verratti or Griezz (Dybala can't be had, I wish) BUT there is a reason i keep saying "if Conte wants him" because if our coach who has earned the right to buy whoever he wants in my eyes says "Thats my guy, go get him" I think we should support his wishes.

39 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yeah but the difference here is you have a player who's not playing this much at his own club actively seeking a move away. The stars you mention are content where they are.even if they're stuck at the likes of Arsenal lmao.

James is more attainable than those you've mentioned imo.

1 minute ago, akgw13 said:

In a market where Raheem Sterling and John Stones are 50m and we sold Oscar to china for 60, if the coach wants James than Yes I do think he is worth it.

If i am starting a team from scratch and have 70m to spend on one player, maybe not. But in our situation, with what we need, and if Conte wants him than Yes.

I would rather spend the money on Verratti or Griezz (Dybala can't be had, I wish) BUT there is a reason i keep saying "if Conte wants him" because if our coach who has earned the right to buy whoever he wants in my eyes says "Thats my guy, go get him" I think we should support his wishes.

We're not in a position to buy players in the way that China and City have. Knowing that, do you think Chelsea FC should buy James for 70M?

Just now, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

We're not in a position to buy players in the way that China and City have. Knowing that, do you think Chelsea FC should buy James for 70M?

What makes you think we are not in a position to buy players the way city has? we just have chosen not to spend as freely as they have recently but by no means if we spend the cash and he sucks are we completely screwed? I have made my thoughts on the matter clear, IF conte wants the player and it takes 70m than I think we should buy him. 

Just now, akgw13 said:

What makes you think we are not in a position to buy players the way city has? we just have chosen not to spend as freely as they have recently but by no means if we spend the cash and he sucks are we completely screwed? I have made my thoughts on the matter clear, IF conte wants the player and it takes 70m than I think we should buy him. 

Because we never have. 

4 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Because we never have. 

That is a debate for another time and another forum. We have never been shy about spending cash on transfers. If conte said to you "This is the player i want, we are in first place and just sold oscar for 60m get me him" Would you say no?

Just now, akgw13 said:

That is a debate for another time and another forum. We have never been shy about spending cash on transfers. If conte said to you "This is the player i want, we are in first place and just sold oscar for 60m get me him" Would you say no?

He's not the kind of player you break the bank to get. You pay 70m for a player in form who you envision taking this team to the next level... James is a luxury buy not a essential buy.

Just now, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

He's not the kind of player you break the bank to get. You pay 70m for a player in form who you envision taking this team to the next level... James is a luxury buy not a essential buy.

And for this deal to go through Conte must envision that he is the type of talent to do that. So you would tell the coach that he is wrong and we arent buying him because you dont rate him? My position on the player is down to if the coach says he is who i want, I think we should get him. 

18 hours ago, Fernando said:

Don't think this is throwing the money away. 

James it's clearly an upgrade to Willian and Pedro. 

A 3 of Hazard, Costa and James will be amazing. 

But the formation I don't know what will it be. But Conte is the Taylor and I know he wanted this guy before, and it's him pushing for this deal.

Edit: Some guy gave me this formation:

3-4-1-2 with James as the "1" would be amazing, at least on paper.

Listen Fernando I have a soft spot for left footed footballers and I do not doubt James' ability. It's his attitude I'm most concerned of. He is Colombia's darling and I'm afraid fame got to his head since his move to Madrid. Kept the front page of the tabloids for a long time with his endless parties at nightclubs all over Madrid and his training ethics are very bad. 

Football wise I think he is a very good player. It's his head that needs to be worked at. A lot.

I actually think he'd fit very well into this new formation because as I see it this 3-4-3 is a "3-4-3" only on paper. When defending it's clearly a 5-4-1 and when attacking I see it more as a 3-2-4-1.

Exactly like this                                                          80e856e669.jpg

ML,DM,MR=The three defenders.

MC=Kante&Matic.

AL,AR=Alonso&Moses.

FC=Diego Costa.

AC=Hazard, Pedro/Willian.

Hazard and Pedro/Willian have rarely played as wingers in this formation. That role is taken by Marcos Alonso and Moses almost everytime when Chelsea take attacking positions, whereas the supposed wingers (Hazard - Pedro/Willian) drift centrally becoming attacking midfielders.

Assuming James would take Pedro/Willian's role, that is exactly his natural position. Would drift a lot centrally, this is why I think he'd fit very good into this formation.

But is he a risk worth taking? 

There is a reason why he doesn't play at Real. I am against buying Real or Barca rejects. Fabregas is an exception as he already proved himself in England with his time at Arsenal so I already knew what we would get with him, but with this guy, we don't know and for that insane money it would be a risk.
I just don't want him and it would be insane to pay fucking £75m for him when you could use this money to try and sign Verratti in the summer, a player who I'm very certain of will add something to our squad. We don't play with a CAM in 3-4-3 and if Conte switches to 3-5-2, Eden can be used as CAM or even Fabregas.
James is slow, has a shitty attitude is VERY injury prone. And as right-winger, he won't do better than Pedro or Willian.

Just now, akgw13 said:

And for this deal to go through Conte must envision that he is the type of talent to do that. So you would tell the coach that he is wrong and we arent buying him because you dont rate him? My position on the player is down to if the coach says he is who i want, I think we should get him. 

You're making a lot of assumptions here. Conte isn't the only one responsible for making acquisitions, his title is 1st team coach not manager. While I do think his input is taken into account, the club take decisions together. He may look at it the same way you do, "hell it ain't my money, I can use him in the same capacity as Oscar..."

I think we need to set our sights higher, James is available but for me he's only a decent purchase if we're not getting mugged off. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

TBF, Torres was already starting to go downhill before we bought him and why we did that even though it was rather obvious, I'll never know. With Rodriguez, he's in his mid 20s and hasn't even peaked yet. If Conte believes he's the guy to help improve us, then so be it.

Yeah its all apples and oranges, but then again I one could assume James is going downhill too. 

He went from WC hero and first very good season at RM to bench warmer who cant get ahead Vazquez or Asensio. Its kinda sad because he has talent, but Zidane seems to know what hes doing and if he values James so little...I have feeling if he was that good, he would utilise him by now. 

Perhaps James will shine again or his peak was WC 2014 and will do a Robinho if he comes to PL.

There's zero chance we'll pay £75m for him so people can ignore that shite. It may be true that were willing to spend a lot on him but that screams a made up by the media number.

Think Real Madrid would happily take half of that if James pushes for a move. Great money for a player who can't get a name for them.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You