Starting XI for Next Season

nono

Getting Fabregas to partner Oscar in the middle is a death sentence for our defense.

I said only decent teams, i.e. teams after probably the top 8.... hull west ham west brom all the way to the bottom.

We dont need to be so defensive against these teams. I get your point, but in general i dont think we are dead without Matic in these games.

Yes against top 7-8 teams Matic is a requirement, but against some of the lesser sides where we usually enjoy 65+ % possession, we can take a more attacking approach to the game.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said only decent teams, i.e. teams after probably the top 8.... hull west ham west brom all the way to the bottom.

We dont need to be so defensive against these teams. I get your point, but in general i dont think we are dead without Matic in these games.

Yes against top 7-8 teams Matic is a requirement, but against some of the lesser sides where we usually enjoy 65+ % possession, we can take a more attacking approach to the game.

Agreed 100%, but knowing MOU, don't know if he will like that.... <_<

I stand by that tactic.

Watched it last season thinking ... if only we had the players to play that sort of a formation.

When teams are simply sitting back and doing nothing, we need to counter that setup by going for a 3-5-2 formation and bombarding them, and that too will only occasionally get us behind their backline of 10 players.

Its bold, and we should do it against park the bus teams. Nothing to lose. No point starting with a 4-2-3-1....maybe 4-3-3 but i like 3-5-2 also.

Its not like the 5 will have absolutely no defensive duties in the moments when we lose the ball.

I simply see this 3-5-2 formation as a pack of wolves looking for the weakest animal(opening) in the herd, and going mental through the opponent defensive line of 10.

It's not the tactic, it's the players that you've put in there that's suicide.

You really can attack all you want but you need someone in the middle to hold , defend and distribute. No matter how crap the team is they will find it easier to get past out midfield line and into our defensive third when there is no one in the middle who's first initiative is to defend the ones behind him.

Against anyone in the PL we'd get shafted on the counter if we played Fab and Oscar in the middle. They'd have their 2 forwards and 2 wingers against our back 4. 4 1vs1s that over 90mins we'd lose too many of. We might be better going forwards but we'd concede 3/4 goals a game easy. Tactical suicide to have no pure holding mid to cover the back 4 in this day and age.

I'm sure this has been said by someone before but this would be the best formation if we started with a 4-2-3-1:

1045007_Chelsea.jpg

And this one for a 4-3-3:

1045009_Chelsea.jpg

You can then rotate Willian and Schurrle easily, Lukaku/Bamford/Torres with Costa for the striker role, Ivan in at either CB or RB (with Azpi moving to LB if needed), Zouma in at CB, Mikel in instead of Matic and Ramires/MVG in instead of Fabregas or Oscar. Of course that's with our current crop of players, if we get someone else (Pogba, Vidal, Cavani, etc.) it would change things a bit.

As much as it may annoy people I really think people are forgetting that if the midfield stays how it is and there is no new additions, Ramires will start quite often. Especially if we play with a 4-3-3. If it is 4-2-3-1 he will be a sub some games but if we are going 4-3-3 he will often play alongside Fabregas. He really excels in a 4-3-3 btw and think he would do well there. Can see Mourinho doing this often.

My startting 11 would be

Courtios Courtios

Azp Ivanovic Terry Luis or Azp Cahill Terry Luis

Van Ginkel Matic Fab Matic Van Ginkel

Schurrle Fabregas Hazard Schurrle Costa Hazard

Costa

Cahill as to be there. Ivanovic should not be considered as an alternative. IMO he is the best CB at the club. Him and Terry are undisputed starters. MVG looks a good prospect and would be good to see him given some games but he is not going to be a starter. Definitely not imo. Needs to work his way through the cup games and then we can see if he can force his way into the first team. MVG has not done anything awful but he has not exactly shown anything remarkable. He is not good enough to be a guaranteed starter just yet.

My startting 11 would be

Courtios Courtios

Azp Ivanovic Terry Luis or Azp Cahill Terry Luis

Van Ginkel Matic Fab Matic Van Ginkel

Schurrle Fabregas Hazard Schurrle Costa Hazard

Costa

Van Ginkel, are you serious? Just like that huh?

He should be given the chance to fight for a place in the starting 11 but putting him there just like that without even knowing the form he's in or his chemistry with the team...