Mehdi Benatia

Namika

It dint??? Barelt troubled. We have iva and one of the brightest talents in zouma as our back ups. We have kalas and omerou on loan and yet we should be spending 30mil on a player who would barely make us any better than we already are. He is not HG, and we are already 1 non HG player more than the allowed limit. Buying him would mean selling /loaning 2 players. Pray tell me who those will be???

Like I said, don't want him, don't need him.

We must have been watching a different game then. Our defense looked unconvincing, even a bit panicky, against the team that is probably the weakest in the PL.

Yes, we conceded 27 goals in the PL last season, but it was largely thanks to the way we played as a team, with all our attacking players tracking back a lot and focused on defending, which was often detrimental to our attack.

Against Burnley we played more attacking and aggressive than we usually did last season, and our much-praised defense looked shaky. Our CBs are good, but they aren't the best out there individually, not to mention that JT is slow and isn't getting any younger unfortunately. Last season our defense was very flattered by the incredible defensive contribution of our other players. If we keep playing as attacking as we did against Burnley(and we should, with the players we currently have), a better team than Burnley will exploit it.

Zouma? Hype aside, he didn't look good even against the shitty teams we played in preseason, making lots of mistakes. Do you want an inexperienced, mistake-prone teenager to play in important matches? I don't. He's not ready yet. Iva will play RB a lot too, so he's nowhere enough to cover both CBs in case of bad form/injury. The truth is, we have 5 experienced defenders for 4 positions to play 50+ games. It's not enough. In comparison: we have 6 AMs for 3 AM positions, 4-5 CMs for 2 pivot positions, 3 strikers for 1 position(yes, Drogba and Torres aren't good enough, but the fact remains that we have 3 experienced strikers for 1 position).

2 non-HG players? Sell Cech(he deserves better than to sit on the bench) and loan out MVG(it is not ideal, but we have a much better depth in the pivot than in defense. I like the kid, but we all know Jose will pick Ramires over him and Mikel is better defensively). Ideally, we should get rid of Torres and sign a proper young second striker.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must have been watching a different game then. Our defense looked unconvincing, even a bit panicky, against the team that is probably the weakest in the PL.

Yes, we conceded 27 goals in the PL last season, but it was largely thanks to the way we played as a team, with all our attacking players tracking back a lot and focused on defending, which was often detrimental to our attack.

Against Burnley we played more attacking and aggressive than we usually did last season, and our much-praised defense looked shaky. Our CBs are good, but they aren't the best out there individually, not to mention that JT is slow and isn't getting any younger unfortunately. Last season our defense was very flattered by the incredible defensive contribution of our other players. If we keep playing as attacking as we did against Burnley(and we should, with the players we currently have), a better team than Burnley will exploit it.

Zouma? Hype aside, he didn't look good even against the shitty teams we played in preseason, making lots of mistakes. Do you want an inexperienced, mistake-prone teenager to play in important matches? I don't. He's not ready yet. Iva will play RB a lot too, so he's nowhere enough to cover both CBs in case of bad form/injury. The truth is, we have 5 experienced defenders for 4 positions to play 50+ games. It's not enough. In comparison: we have 6 AMs for 3 AM positions, 4-5 CMs for 2 pivot positions, 3 strikers for 1 position(yes, Drogba and Torres aren't good enough, but the fact remains that we have 3 experienced strikers for 1 position).

2 non-HG players? Sell Cech(he deserves better than to sit on the bench) and loan out MVG(it is not ideal, but we have a much better depth in the pivot than in defense. I like the kid, but we all know Jose will pick Ramires over him and Mikel is better defensively). Ideally, we should get rid of Torres and sign a proper young second striker.

Shaky? We definiyely were watching a different match. I don't think they even had a half chance against us in the 2nd half. They had 2 shots on target and a goal which was from a set piece which has been our achilees heel in the recent times. Iva was brilliant in attack and defence, azpi was solid as was the GC-JT combo as usual. The fact that courtois barely had to do anything is a testimony to that.

We have been set up to play in a way where our wingers and AMs in general will be helping our defence. I rememver schurlle giving away 2 cheap fks in our own area while defending. I don't think our system is going to change for benatia and what's more, it should not change. It's a sysytem where the players play as a team rather than doing an arsenal or a pool.

This was the same scenario last season. We had 6 defenders which included luiz, bertrand and kalas together barely played anything more than ake and christensen will play this season. In the 2nd half of the season, we dint play luiz for more than 2 matches as a CB (city in fa cup and wba in pl). Except for that we had 5 defenders who played half a season. Simple fact is that jose simply does not want to or like to chop and change his defences. Its not his way. Zouma/iva are very good backups to JT-GC, we don't need a 30mil back up for them. And they might not but good individual defenders as benatia but as a pair, they are brilliant and that is what matters. Dont see any reason why they should be changed.

People do understand that playing a more expansive style of football will cause your defence to be a little bit more exposed than usual right? Buying a new CB won't change that.

JT, Cahill, Ivan and Zouma (and Christensen) is fine for this season. Another CB would be an absolute luxury. People scream that we should give a chance to the youngsters but as soon as the latest toy becomes available on the market they fully abandon that notion. I hope the club aren't thinking about it in a similar matter. I think it's important Zouma and Christensen get some minutes so they can set an example for the rest of the academy.

People do understand that playing a more expansive style of football will cause your defence to be a little bit more exposed than usual right? Buying a new CB won't change that.

JT, Cahill, Ivan and Zouma (and Christensen) is fine for this season. Another CB would be an absolute luxury. People scream that we should give a chance to the youngsters but as soon as the latest toy becomes available on the market they fully abandon that notion. I hope the club aren't thinking about it in a similar matter. I think it's important Zouma and Christensen get some minutes so they can set an example for the rest of the academy.

That's exactly why getting a top CB who is brilliant individually, fast and isn't as reliant on the entire team defending would be great.

Before I saw Zouma play in preseason, I was of the same opinion as you. I believed the Zouma hype and thought we had enough CBs. It was just preseason, of course, but he wasn't convincing in the least and made too many mistakes even though we played against shitty teams. He might become a top CB one day, and we should definitely keep him, but he's still too young, raw and inexperienced to play in important games. We should definitely give youngsters a chance, but we shouldn't jeopardize out title chances because of that now that we finally have a good midfield and attack.

That's exactly why getting a top CB who is brilliant individually, fast and isn't as reliant on the entire team defending would be great.

Before I saw Zouma play in preseason, I was of the same opinion as you. I believed the Zouma hype and thought we had enough CBs. It was just preseason, of course, but he wasn't convincing in the least and made too many mistakes even though we played against shitty teams. He might become a top CB one day, and we should definitely keep him, but he's still too young, raw and inexperienced to play in important games. We should definitely give youngsters a chance, but we shouldn't jeopardize out title chances because of that now that we finally have a good midfield and attack.

How will Zouma and co ever become a top CB/player here if we continue to buy WC players every time there might be a slight perceived weakness (which I disagree with tbh) in an area of the squad?

We still have the best back four in the PL, and one of the best back fours in Europe regardless of how we play. It is not a weakness in the squad. We don't need 4 experienced CBs as of right now because I still believe JT can do the job, so does Mourinho it seems. If you say - we need to bring in a new CB next year - I'd agree with you but as of right now our situation at the back is perfect IMO. We can really give Zouma and Christensen the chance to grow as players this year, and they have experienced players in JT, Cahill and Ivanovic to guide them. Bringing in another CB right now just kills that.

Regarding Zouma, I don't know if people seriously thought that he'd immediately displace one of our established CBs? If so, that's your own fault for letting yourself get carried away like that. I always thought that this is the year that Zouma undertakes tutelage from the older CBs, a bit like Varane in his first season there, and if the signs are there for him to make that step up like Varane then brilliant! If not, then we certainly sign a new CB because JT has 2 seasons at the top left max IMO.

There's no need to rush this at all.

How will Zouma and co ever become a top CB/player here if we continue to buy WC players every time there might be a slight perceived weakness (which I disagree with tbh) in an area of the squad?

We still have the best back four in the PL, and one of the best back fours in Europe regardless of how we play. It is not a weakness in the squad. We don't need 4 experienced CBs as of right now because I still believe JT can do the job, so does Mourinho it seems. If you say - we need to bring in a new CB next year - I'd agree with you but as of right now our situation at the back is perfect IMO. We can really give Zouma and Christensen the chance to grow as players this year, and they have experienced players in JT, Cahill and Ivanovic to guide them. Bringing in another CB right now just kills that.

Regarding Zouma, I don't know if people seriously thought that he'd immediately displace one of our established CBs? If so, that's your own fault for letting yourself get carried away like that. I always thought that this is the year that Zouma undertakes tutelage from the older CBs, a bit like Varane in his first season there, and if the signs are there for him to make that step up like Varane then brilliant! If not, then we certainly sign a new CB because JT has 2 seasons at the top left max IMO.

There's no need to rush this at all.

Zouma is just 19. He will have the chance to get into the first team in the next 3-4 years if he proves he's good enough. With JT retiring in 1-2 seasons, we'll need a top CB to replace him anyway and it won't be Zouma -- he won't be ready in a year. It's too much to expect from a 19-year old kid. Rushing youngsters into the first team will do them harm than good, imo. They must learn, train with the team and play in unimportant matches without too much pressure. You're right that there's no need to rush.

We will need fast CB's for our more expansive football to have fewer weaknesses. But JT is not done yet as he still has another year of top level left in him, we don't need to rush into a 30mil CB now. We can wait till January and see the progress of zouma, before deciding if we need a benatia/Varane to be that JT replacement in future.

Instead of Benatia, I would rather have Godin who is much more proven and reminds me a bit on Riccy Carvalho...also plays in similar system under Simeone too and knows Courtois, Costa, Luis well. Or Varane who despite young age, would be starter here (unlike Zouma) and would settle in our defence for like 10 years.

There is no way we were not in the market if he is actually that unexpensive. However I believe he is vastly overrated. Never played at a major tournament or in the CL.

How come he goes for only 24 m when he was rumoured to cost 35+. Probably Bayern's lure and some nice corruption behind the curtains.

While I'm happy he's not going to United, you have to at least question why we didn't stick our noses in at the £21M-ish price...I like young Kalas and Zouma, but Bentia is established, in his prime etc.

I guess Jose/The board feel JT/Cahill/Zouma/Ivanovic is sufficient.

While I'm happy he's not going to United, you have to at least question why we didn't stick our noses in at the £21M-ish price...I like young Kalas and Zouma, but Bentia is established, in his prime etc.

I guess Jose/The board feel JT/Cahill/Zouma/Ivanovic is sufficient.

They have faith in Zouma/Kalas.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You