PSG 3-1 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

About the CL now: I think it was 45% a PSG win and 55% a CFC defeat. It's impossible to rule out our our very silly defensive mistakes happened in both your 3 goals (also on our goal to be fair). We had silly mistakes like that in PL but that was some months ago before Christmas (Matic plays a role). Our defence is not like that in PL any more. Also at the application of their tactics at second have PSG were better by miles. They knew midfield was the key, so they stepped up. We also did throw the 2nd half away to the garbage can and for some reason we lost our structure. Talking about a huge role in our downfall. Usually you expect from us to also step it up to the second half, but that didn't happened. Then you have Lavezzi who was brilliant and made the deference for me. If it wasn't for him PSG attacks wouldn't be much of a threat and the scoreline would be something like a 1-1 or 0-0.

Chelsea's defense is the best in PL but what is the level of the PL attacks? IMO PL is still the best league with la Liga, and the best when it comes to the show, the game intensity, the atmosphere ... But the golden age that happened 5-6 years ago, when 3 semi-final teams out of 4 used to be PL teams, is now over to me.

Chelsea were eliminated in the group stage last year, and so were Man City in 2012 and 2013 (2012 was understandable for their first participation but they even ended up behing Ajax Amsterdam in 2013) and Man U in 2012. This year, Arsenal showed they had roughly the same level as Borussia and Napoli. Even in the game in Marseille, who are terrible this year, Arsenal had troubles. They may have Ramsey and Wilshere but as French, we all know Giroud is a calamity. Regarding the "new Liverpool" and their Suarez-Sturridge duo, they have not passed any european test so far.

Ok Chelsea made big defensive mistakes but mistakes are much more likely and you're really put under pressure. You could see Even Lucas Moura caused big troubles for Chelsea's defense when he came into play.

For trolls, I'm just trying to analyse the diffrence between Chelsea defense on Wenesday and that in PL matches.

in 2012:
Napoli 3 - 1 Chelsea.
Chelsea 1 - 0 Stoke.(goal by Drogba)
Chelsea 4 - 1 Napoli.
In 2014:
PSG 3 - 1 Chelsea.
Chelsea vs Stoke this Weekend.
Chelsea vs PSG next Tuesday..

Looks cliched but we could easily get a 2- niller at the Bridge.

in 2012:

Napoli 3 - 1 Chelsea.

Chelsea 4 - 1 Napoli.

In 2014:

PSG 3 - 1 Chelsea.

yes. if our back four can show PSG their true color as the best defensive side in England, running and focus and defend like there isnt another day, and we got whole 90 fucking minutes for bagging only 2 goals, so yes we can go through this

in 2012:

Napoli 3 - 1 Chelsea.

Chelsea 4 - 1 Napoli.

In 2014:

PSG 3 - 1 Chelsea.

They weren't in this order in 2012. There was 2-3 weeks between the first and second leg against Napoli IIRC including the defeat to WBA after which AVB was sacked.

Well... Chelsea's first half was nothing like counter attacking football. It was just brillant football, you put a lot of preasure on our midfield by preasuring them really high whenever they got the ball. All of your player were like mad dogs and we couldn't react at all. Playing like that during 90 minutes is your only way to win. If you switch to a counterattacking game like you tryed to do during the second half, you will get your first loss in a european match in stamford bridge under Mourinho.

Actually mate we can and we have played for 90 mins like this in more than one game like Special Juan said. I would like to point out that we did not change tactics at all. The way we played the first half was exactly the way we were trying to play in the second half. The difference was Ramires and Luiz. With their yellow cards they weren't as physical as they usually are and Willian, Oscar and Hazard had to make up for that. Mind you also we were not playing in either halves with a striker (unless you consider Torres one:)) so we just made it harder for ourselves to transition offensively. I think that eased up the pressure on your midfield and you can clearly see them more comfortable allowing PSG to dictate play in the 2nd half.

They weren't in this order in 2012. There was 2-3 weeks between the first and second leg against Napoli IIRC including the defeat to WBA after which AVB was sacked.

Correct

21 Tue 19:45 Napoli 3 1 Chelsea CPLG 60,000
  • 0,,10268~9997995,00.png
  • iconReport.png
25 Sat 15:00 Chelsea 3 0 Bolton PREM 40,999
  • iconReport.png
March 2012
-
Date KO Home Team H A Away Team Comp Att/TV Info 3 Sat 15:00 WBA 1 0 Chelsea PREM 24,838
  • iconReport.png
6 Tue 19:45 Birmingham 0 2 Chelsea FACP 21,822
  • iconReport.png
10 Sat 15:00 Chelsea 1 0 Stoke City PREM 40,945
  • iconReport.png
14 Wed 19:45 Chelsea 4 1 Napoli

Chelsea's defense is the best in PL but what is the level of the PL attacks? IMO PL is still the best league with la Liga, and the best when it comes to the show, the game intensity, the atmosphere ... But the golden age that happened 5-6 years ago, when 3 semi-final teams out of 4 used to be PL teams, is now over to me.

Chelsea were eliminated in the group stage last year, and so were Man City in 2012 and 2013 (2012 was understandable for their first participation but they even ended up behing Ajax Amsterdam in 2013) and Man U in 2012. This year, Arsenal showed they had roughly the same level as Borussia and Napoli. Even in the game in Marseille, who are terrible this year, Arsenal had troubles. They may have Ramsey and Wilshere but as French, we all know Giroud is a calamity. Regarding the "new Liverpool" and their Suarez-Sturridge duo, they have not passed any european test so far.

Ok Chelsea made big defensive mistakes but mistakes are much more likely and you're really put under pressure. You could see Even Lucas Moura caused big troubles for Chelsea's defense when he came into play.

For trolls, I'm just trying to analyse the diffrence between Chelsea defense on Wenesday and that in PL matches.

As far as pressure is concerned you gotta look back at the game again carefully friend. You had possession in the second half but no real threat. You definitely we VERY DANGEROUS on set pieces in the first and 2nd half. But how many saves was Cech forced into? I can't remember, so feel free to remind me. There was a good chance in the second half from a header (by Cavani if I am not mistaken) that went on top of the bar but was close. Other than that, I didn't feel the heat of your attack. Still you took your chances well and capitalized and you earned that.

2nd half :

PSG : 8 shots, 1 on target (Pastore)

Chelsea : 2 shots, 0 on target

Here's the stat' again :

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2014/04/02/140402111706782180.jpg

Well that stat kinda proves my point no ? 1 shot on target.

Of course I'll be there supporting the team, but the fact of the matter is we aren't good enough (for various reasons) this season. It shows in the league, the domestic cup competitions and in the champions league.

The good thing is that we know what we lack and we are only need a couple of pieces to complete the jig-saw. After another hopeless performance from Ramires, the need for a CM to partner Matic has just gone way up in my list of priorities. Our tactic nowadays is just thump it up to Ivanovic and hope our forwards feed off his knock-downs. I know it's away from home, but still, the mind boggles.

It ain't over till its over dude. You really think this Chelsea team are incapable of getting a result at the Bridge? Have you been watching them play at this year? The Bridge is a completely different animal to Paris away.

Honestly speaking, Verrati invited pressure, moreso than we pressured him out.

It was a really weird game from Verrati, when Motta or Matudi had the ball, they always passed it quickly, but Verrati kept holding the ball so long...

Cavani had a real bad game even when Zlatan left. However, as I mentioned he had some thigh problems recently.

Blanc might drop Verrati and bring in Cabaye instead.

Wow. The amount of 'Chelsea fans' that are ready to concede victory at half time is staggering! The team performed poorly but come on people its only half, it wouldn't be Chelsea if it was comfortable and easy!

3-1 is difficult but not undoable, we go home in front of our supporters and the spirit of the Bridge does the rest. I've seen this movie before we need the collective POSITIVE energy of all Chelsea supporters to get through it! All you negative nancy's please do your crying in private, don't allow your wack juices to effect those of us who still believe in the team and the spirit of this club.

Believe me the attacks in PL are powerful enough to capitalize on simple defensive mistakes similar to those we made in Paris. They are not so forgiving as I've seen in other leagues. Most of the teams play pretty straight forward and take their chances well. So that being said and also considering we have Matic cup tied (he really makes a difference) plus it's one thing to play for the league (whichever league) and another to play for CL, it's obvious that it's mostly our fault than your good attacking play. I'm not saying your attack is not good, I'm saying that we managed to stop that level of attack already in some of our league games while in tough situations. That's my point, we made some of the most terrible mistakes of the season in all competitions!

PSG fans shouldn't be here in my opinion.

Why not?

As far as pressure is concerned you gotta look back at the game again carefully friend. You had possession in the second half but no real threat. You definitely we VERY DANGEROUS on set pieces in the first and 2nd half. But how many saves was Cech forced into? I can't remember, so feel free to remind me. There was a good chance in the second half from a header (by Cavani if I am not mistaken) that went on top of the bar but was close. Other than that, I didn't feel the heat of your attack. Still you took your chances well and capitalized and you earned that.

Actually there were two real chaces, the header from Lavezzi and the shoot from Cavani.

IMO, putting pressure can consist in keeping the ball as much as possible which makes opposition players running much more (Chelsea looked very tired at the end of the game) and obliges the opponent to play very low on the pitch.

What bothers me is that you're ( not you in particular) basically saying that "Chelsea played their usual game but because of Terry, Lampard and Cech's mistakes, they lost". But Chelsea usual game is based on defense and counter attacks, but in the 2nd half, I can only remember about one counter attack (correct me if i'm wrong) that Thiago Silva stopped. In the whole game, Chelsea had only 4 shoots while they had 12 against Man City. Chelsea played an offensive game from the first goal until the end of the first half, which worked out pretty well as Paris had troubles to play without having the ball; then Chelsea let the ball to the opponent, as they usually do, but this time, they did not have any very dangerous counter attack. I'm not in Mourinho's mind, but to me it looked more like an obligation than a choice.

No offense but I think you overrate a little bit your defense. I just watched Man City-Chelsea highlights, as Chelsea supporters often mention that game when it comes to their defense, and not taking goals by Man City was almost a miracle.

Then, don't want to sound "everyone is right, everyone is wrong", but it's hard not to be partial as you watch every Chelsea's game, you know roughly how Paris play but rarely see their games, and vice-versa (for me at least). I understand you may have "recognized" Chelsea (except for individual mistakes) but we recognized Paris too in the second half, high possession ball but not necessarily many goal chances in the game, as Paris crushed Lyon 4-0 just by keeping the ball with 4 goals on set pieces.

PSG fans shouldn't be here in my opinion.

We have been having an interesting debate about the match for the 2 previous pages, no insult, no troll, ...

But as the majority of your messages are just "Fuck PSG, fuck PSG fans", "Come on Chelsea, we are the best", I understand you're bored when there are no trolls battles.

Actually there were two real chaces, the header from Lavezzi and the shoot from Cavani.

IMO, putting pressure can consist in keeping the ball as much as possible which makes opposition players running much more (Chelsea look very tired at the end of the game) and obliges the opponent to play very low on the pitch.

What bothers me is that you're ( not you in particular) basically saying that "Chelsea played their usual game but because of Terry, Lampard and Cech's mistakes, they lost". But Chelsea usual game is based on defense and counter attacks, but in the 2nd half, I only remember about one counter attack (correct me if i'm wrong) that Thiago Silva stopped. In the whole game, Chelsea had only 4 shoots while they had 12 against Man City. Chelsea played an offensive game from the first goal until the end of the first half, which worked out pretty well as Paris had troubles to play without having the ball; then Chelsea let the ball to the opponent, as they usually do, but this time, they did not have any very dangerous counter attack. I'm not in Mourinho's head, but to me it looked more like an obligation than a choice.

No offense but I think you overrate a little bit your defense. I just watched Man City-Chelsea highlights, as Chelsea supporters often mention that game when it comes to their defense, and not taking goals by Man City was almost a miracle.

Then, don't want to sound "everyone is right, everyone is wrong", but it's hard to be partial as you watch every Chelsea's game, you know roughly how Paris play but rarely see their games, and vice-verse (for me at least). I understand you may have "recognized" Chelsea (except for individual mistakes) but we recognized Paris too in the second half, high possession ball but not necessarily many goal chances in the game, as Paris crushed Lyon 4-0 just by keeping the ball with 4 goals on set pieces.

We have been having an interesting debate about the match for the 2 previous pages, no insult, no troll, ...

But as the majority of your messages are just "Fuck PSG, fuck PSG fans", "Come on Chelsea, we are the best", I understand you're bored when there are no trolls battles.

Just ignore him and go on with what you're talking about. A lot of people get to learn more.

IMO, putting pressure can consist in keeping the ball as much as possible which makes opposition players running much more (Chelsea look very tired at the end of the game) and obliges the opponent to play very low on the pitch.

What bothers me is that you're ( not you in particular) basically saying that "Chelsea played their usual game but because of Terry, Lampard and Cech's mistakes, they lost". But Chelsea usual game is based on defense and counter attacks, but in the 2nd half, I only remember about one counter attack (correct me if i'm wrong) that Thiago Silva stopped. In the whole game, Chelsea had only 4 shoots while they had 12 against Man City. Chelsea played an offensive game from the first goal until the end of the first half, which worked out pretty well as Paris had troubles to play without having the ball; then Chelsea let the ball to the opponent, as they usually do, but this time, they did not have any very dangerous counter attack. I'm not in Mourinho's head, but to me it looked more like an obligation than a choice.

Then, don't want to sound "everyone is right, everyone is wrong", but it's hard to be partial as you watch every Chelsea's game, you know roughly how Paris play but rarely see their games, and vice-verse (for me at least). I understand you may have "recognized" Chelsea (except for individual mistakes) but we recognized Paris too in the second half, high possession ball but not necessarily many goal chances in the game, as Paris crushed Lyon 4-0 just by keeping the ball with 4 goals on set pieces.

This is a Chelsea forum. You are our rivals and we shouldn't speak until the second leg is over.