Ricardo Rodriguez

Just buy the better player whether it's Shaw or Ricardo. There seems to be a neanderthal mentality slowing growing on here and it's really awkward. I'm reading what I think are suggestions that players should be prioritised due to their origin...or should we say, 'people'; not 'players'.

Let's just leave nationalities out of it. On the pitch they play with their feet, not their passport.

Signing Shaw over Rodriguez because the latter is Swiss or the former is English would be beyond ignorant and definitely questionable.

Just don't want visitors on the forum and rival fans thinking we're xenophobes personally.

Now on from that; Anyone who has watched Ricardo this season will probably agree that, on form, he's currently the best left back in Europe without a shadow of a doubt. His attacking, fluid and flair-like style of play would compliment Hazard perfectly on the flank and I think he's the sort of player Jose wants for our future.

Shaw is a superb option too, but I have reservations regarding his link-up ability. Physically he's a beast; but technically, Ricardo has his number and more.

nationalities are irrelevant. EXCEPT when its english. we do need home grown players.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy the better player whether it's Shaw or Ricardo. There seems to be a neanderthal mentality slowing growing on here and it's really awkward. I'm reading what I think are suggestions that players should be prioritised due to their origin...or should we say, 'people'; not 'players'.

Let's just leave nationalities out of it. On the pitch they play with their feet, not their passport.

Signing Shaw over Rodriguez because the latter is Swiss or the former is English would be beyond ignorant and definitely questionable.

Just don't want visitors on the forum and rival fans thinking we're xenophobes personally.

Now on from that; Anyone who has watched Ricardo this season will probably agree that, on form, he's currently the best left back in Europe without a shadow of a doubt. His attacking, fluid and flair-like style of play would compliment Hazard perfectly on the flank and I think he's the sort of player Jose wants for our future.

Shaw is a superb option too, but I have reservations regarding his link-up ability. Physically he's a beast; but technically, Ricardo has his number and more.

You have taken this way way out off context, do you really think that any one is discriminating against RR because he is Swiss?

With any country in the world, a home grown core is important at a football club or in any walk off live for that matter, whether in England, Spain or Bulgaria, all have a home grown core which is key to success. Also with the homegrown rules in place if 2 players (like Shaw and RR) are on similar standing it's best to go for the homegrown player because that will free up a future non homegrown spot, and im mean that for any country.

Your logic is flawed in so many ways. First of all one of the reasons that i believe Shaw is the best option is his nationality and i am not even English. How does this make me a xenophobe? Chelsea is playing in the English Premier League so it is vital that we have english players. Also whether you like it or not we have to take into consideration the rule about the homegrown players. Shaw solves both of these matters. Ability wise and talent wise both are on the same level BUT Shaw already has big experience in the EPL and can walk into our first team almost immediately. You can never be sure about how long it will take for a foreign player to adapt in another country both in terms of football and life in general. Last but not least Shaw is a Chelsea supporter. This is something that you cannot buy with money and i believe that it is a big deal to have players who love the club no matter what.

Yeah definitely Shaw over RR. But i don't think Shaw is very likely, especially in Jan. And RR seems like a good second option. But if we think we can get Shaw in the summer (Which i doubt), then we could wait, with Azpi to cover if something happens to cole.

The only reason good English talent is scarce is because there are no B teams playing in the Championship. FA has set these absurd rules and have shot themselves in the leg in the same time. When it comes to recruiting, I get it - we need the homegrown quota - but Luke Shaw and the left back position isn't the only place to start raising that number intentionally. Chelsea should buy whichever player is best, tinkering with the regulations shouldn't hinder the club's success in the mean time.

If he's good at set-pieces it's a big + for him over Shaw because, for as much as I love him, Oscar is terrible at them. Willian and Hazard are no better. Mata and Lampard won't start much either. Mata is good at everything except corners really. Lampard's free-kicks, and penalties to an extent, have deteriorated into 'smash it as hard as you possible can and hope for the best'.

Mata is good at everything except corners really.

Why would you say that?

From le Saux to Cole to Shaw....it just feels right. Sure this guy is good but don't see is going for this guy over Shaw.

Shaw could become a Wayne Bridge or a Bertrand.

What are the exact rules again for home grown status?

Also, CIty core isnt english.

United core isnt english..(ok, kind of english)

Arsenal is english/french/german.

Liverpool isnt going to be english as well...

Tottenham is Walker and who?

Also, wouldnt lukaku count already?

Granted Jose is portuguese, I would expect a few more foreign signings from him especially from portugal/brazil.

Rodriguez looks more like the attacking fullback we need; the type PSG, Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona and Man city all have.

We can address this 'English core' in other positions, starting with signing Rooney.

I'm starting to think that too. I think we should be producing our own English core by the way but that's another discussion.

Rodriguez looks like a very technical player, with amazing crossing ability who can combine well with Hazard. That has to be our priority, even more so than having an English core in my honest opinion.

What are the exact rules again for home grown status?

Also, CIty core isnt english.

United core isnt english..

Arsenal is english/french/german.

Liverpool isnt going to be english as well...

Also, wouldnt lukaku count already?

Granted Jose is portuguese, I would expect a few more foreign signings from him especially from portugal/brazil.

Lukaku might be home grown but what has that to do with english player? He can play here for 50 years and will still be belgian...

I would like us to have at least 2 English players as starters for the of culture and nature in club.

RR is better player, but both have high celiling and we need english people; thats why I would go with Shaw. 30mio is a steep price and is not worth that. If we ever pay that price, I hope he will be just as good as Cole.

Lukaku might be home grown but what has that to do with english player? He can play here for 50 years and will still be belgian...

I would like us to have at least 2 English players as starters for the of culture and nature in club.

RR is better player, but both have high celiling and we need english people; thats why I would go with Shaw. 30mio is a steep price and is not worth that. If we ever pay that price, I hope he will be just as good as Cole.

Chelsea is owned by a russian, with a Portuguese manager...

I highly doubt they would care...

So, this whole thread is dealing with being english moreso than homegrown?

Jose seems to think having an english core is important.

‘I like that local core, not just in England but when I’ve worked in Portugal, Spain and Italy,’ the Chelsea boss told The Guardian. ‘You owe some respect to the country and the national team, so to give some options for them is important.

‘To keep the culture of the country in your own team’s style is also very important, and you cannot lose characteristics of the local football.

‘Ideally it’s not just about having British players either, but having players who are made in Chelsea. In three or four years’ time, if we don’t have other Englishmen to replace this nucleus of players – when Lamps is 39, John is 36– I will be very sad. Every club needs that.’

I don't know about you, but at an English club I want an English core.

I'd much prefer Shaw over Rodriguez.

Lmao, Leif came into the thread screaming xenophobia, yet it's the international members who want an english core just as much, as the responses in this thread demonstrate.

How about that for a backfire!, brilliant irony.

Not really.

It's just only because of the home grown rule. But other then that, English players are really horrible overpriced.

So why the hell do I want them for if they are not good enough?

You got it, because of the homegrown rule.

If that didn't existed we would be like Inter, having a team full of international players and little to nothing local talent.

The hell do I want them for if they are not good enough?

Nah, it isn't only because of the home grown rule - for me, RR isn't that much better than Shaw (and he's 3 years older as well), and it's important for a club to be relatable to the country their from.

Shaw has a higher ceiling for me. He's a bit more silky on the ball too (with his dribbling) - sure RR is pretty technical and would not be a bad buy at all, but Shaw isn't a bad player and IMO easily has the potential to be the best LB in the world.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You