Nemanja Matic

.Cee

You know Mikel is going to be Chelsea's longest serving player ever, right? Chelsea and Mikel is a love story for the ages.

Regardless of whether he Matic goes or stays, a new midfielder has to join.

I'd sell Matic tbh. Not because he's a bad player but because he can command a big fee and isn't necessarily crucial for a new Chelsea. A midfield consisting of Fabregas, Matic and Kante is too light on skill, intelligence on the ball and attacking prowess for me. Take Cesc out, which isn't hard to do, and midfield will struggle.

Let's say Nainggolan joins. Sell Matic and buy a big midfield prospect to replace him. But again, it would depend on the money as there is no real need to sell him.

On 12 July 2016 at 6:54 AM, Thor said:

Is it me that is going mental, or is it 80% of this board that is? 

Where has this urge to sell Matic come from? Out of all the players that were terrible last season, why is it that Matic, the guy that had the workload of two players being nudged out? Fabregas was 10 times worse, but due to him being some sort of "star name" no one particularly cares to discuss him being shifted.

When people say the likes of Ivanovic need to go, I get it. When people say Mikel, I get it. Oscar? I get it. But then Matic? What in the actual hell. Hazard and Matic were our most important and best players in our title winning season. Matic having an off year because everyone did, and Cesc refusing to play any defence or work at all doesn't mean he should get the full brunt of the blame. 

Can't believe there are people above actually saying he isn't a good enough midfielder... Ridiculous. This guy just put up a season as good as Yaya's best a season ago, and suddenly he is worth jack shit and not good enough? Even now he is a better player than Kante who some of you are all frothing over. One bad season and you all want to throw him in the trash. 

Fabregas was not 10 times worse, let's not rewrite history now. Matic was very awful last season, one of our worst players. He definitely has something to prove this year. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's a shame that most people are talking about selling Matic after one bad season and not Mikel, who has been useless for a decade!

Was it one bad season, or one good season? I believe the months that Matic was a beast are the anomaly. I believe Peace described him beast as a 'man that chases leaves and can't catch them because he can't predict their movement'. If the opposition is funnelled into Matic's path he is a magnificent defender but when he actually tasked to defend without support of the other midfielders he is nothing more than a slow beast that gets caught out of position.

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

Was it one bad season, or one good season? I believe the months that Matic was a beast are the anomaly. I believe Peace described him beast as a 'man that chases leaves and can't catch them because he can't predict their movement'. If the opposition is funnelled into Matic's path he is a magnificent defender but when he actually tasked to defend without support of the other midfielders he is nothing more than a slow beast that gets caught out of position.

Matic had one good season but we saw his qualities. Last season was so bad for everyone, never mind Matic, that it's likely to be a one-off (hopefully!). There's only so much Matic can do in a flawed system and having to do two person's job by himself in that midfield area. Matic isn't the first to have excelled with a partner that complements him and certainly won't be the last.

On May 3, 2016 at 9:20 AM, LDN Blue said:

I think we're just doomed to have a central midfield consisting of players who can't do anything in the final third of the pitch. Why Matic attempts to get forward when his left foot seldom finds the target and he himself knows these limitations is baffling. I guess that's not his fault, the attacking players should be in those rolls, but come on even Maka could thump a shot when there was room for him. Neither Mikel or Matic is capable of that.. Mikel-Matic.. Mikel-Matic.. -_- 

Matic did not have a good season for us - he had an amazing season and a very good half season.

imo if mikel plays we are fucked - does not matter if it's a few minutes or an hour; good players will seek him out and skip past him. Not to mention our overall play against good sides gets too slow.

with kante we still need a powerful player and matic has delivered before so he certainly can do it again. If not, we need a replacement in he same mould as kante is pretty small and lightweight - he needs space and does not do s well in tight spaces.

Matic did have a very good season, borderline world class in his position. Mikel has been consistently poor with a few good performances against average opposition for 9 years. I'd take my gambles on the former.
If he does have another bad season, then yes, I wouldn't mind selling him, but not before offloading Mikel.

About having him in the starting XI: 1- Are we operating under the assumption that Matic has improved from his last season form? From what I saw, every player but him and Oscar made some sort of improvement towards the end of the season. 2- Conte said that he will play with two midfielers. Having Matc and Kante would cripple us offensively more because Matic is shocking going forwards.

I don't know anyone other than Kante in the team who can play as a midfielder in a 4-4-2. Nainggolan/Gomes/Joao Mario is a must. 

I read somewhere yesterday that Conte said he wants to ply with 2 central midfielders. If true, then surely that means that Matic is gone because the 2 starting central midfielders will no doubt be Fabregas and Kante, likely with Mikel and RLC as back up. 

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I read somewhere yesterday that Conte said he wants to ply with 2 central midfielders. If true, then surely that means that Matic is gone because the 2 starting central midfielders will no doubt be Fabregas and Kante, likely with Mikel and RLC as back up. 

Or the two central midfielders will be Matic and Kante, with Fabregas being pushed up for an attacking midfield role.

But yea if it comes down to just two of Kante, Cesc and Matic to be picked for preferred starting lineup, which I think is likely, I have a feeling it will be the first two and Matic will look to leave for Juve. I think Cesc, Kante, Mikel and RLC is really thin for two positions with Mikel simply not up for the required standards and lot of question marks looming over RLC's level over a season. One or two injuries to midfielders there and we're fucked, which is why I think Matic shouldn't be sold or at least needs to be replaced properly if he goes. 

I do not think Matic will go: CM will be Matic and Kante, with RLC and Mikel as back-up.

It all sounds to me that Fabregas is on its way out. 

Now we are chasing Riyad Mahrez but facing tough competition from Arsenal and Barcelona. Hope the signing of Kante can convince him to join us.

4 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I can't see a manager as tactically clued up as Conte playing Fabregas in a midfield two. Kante is great at what he does but he alone cannot compensate for all of Fabregas deficiencies.

2 hours ago, Styles said:

I can't see a manager as tactically clued up as Conte playing Fabregas in a midfield two. Kante is great at what he does but he alone cannot compensate for all of Fabregas deficiencies.

While I get what you mean I do think you can get away with playing Fabregas there. Defensively, for example, you would have Willian/another winger drop into midfield and play with a 3-man formation there while one of the strikers helps out on the wing if necessary. Speaking about offense though we've known for years now that to get the best out of Fabregas (and Hazard) we need to keep the ball and dominate possession; fortunately, Conte seems to like playing with the ball more than that former manager of ours...

7 hours ago, Jype said:

Or the two central midfielders will be Matic and Kante, with Fabregas being pushed up for an attacking midfield role.

But yea if it comes down to just two of Kante, Cesc and Matic to be picked for preferred starting lineup, which I think is likely, I have a feeling it will be the first two and Matic will look to leave for Juve. I think Cesc, Kante, Mikel and RLC is really thin for two positions with Mikel simply not up for the required standards and lot of question marks looming over RLC's level over a season. One or two injuries to midfielders there and we're fucked, which is why I think Matic shouldn't be sold or at least needs to be replaced properly if he goes. 

I REALLY doubt that Conte would play Cesc in advanced position. The mobility of the forwards are usually key for Conte, both in attack and defense. Also, a midfield 2 of Kante and Matic seriously lacks a creative spark.

I don't think it's about selling Matic but rather whether or not he'd want to stay.

5 hours ago, Styles said:

The thing with Fabregas is that unless you play with 3 central midfielders he's going to leave you with an obvious weakness, be it deep or, imo worse. in an advanced role. 

But he is still a key player for us, and probably our only top class player along with Eden. I understand why he needs to be in the team despite his weaknesses.