Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Huh? Rakitic under Luis Enrique has been a B2B mid. He's been absolutely everywhere over the last few games, his pressing and his defensive work rate has been immense

Iniesta, Matic, Neymar and Messi are the sides main creators, and Rakitic and Messi have been doing a lot of defensive work so far this season

Still, doesn't prove he's athletic as Yaya Toure or Vidal to me. I've watched Rakitic for a long time. He never has been and never will be. He's best at CAM where he just concentrates on creating IMO.

Still, doesn't prove he's athletic as Yaya Toure or Vidal to me. I've watched Rakitic for a long time. He never has been and never will be. He's best at CAM where he just concentrates on creating IMO.

I said that in my first post (I edited it, but you quoted my post before I could edit it) but that doesn't mean he can't be athletic. He's really impressed me so far. Anyway he's basically been playing as an attacking mid because he's higher up the pitch than Iniesta, Busqueta, Munir and at times even Messi who's been playing a bit deeper so far

I love Matic but offensively, Vidal and Toure are on another level.

And defensively too. I mean, Yaya is in the basement and Nemanja is in the penultimate floor.

Matic does more and can do more than the others. Is true, right? Yeah, i don't know. Maybe Pogba is the most complete! But his creativeness is poorly and tactically is average. Yeah, who knows. But our serb is more handsome!

Matic is one of the best defensive midfielders in my opinion. Excellent heading, good positioning, strong tackle and ability to read the game and intercept.

The problem though is him being very slow. No player that has defensive duties while trying to contribute higher up in the pitch can make up that ground unless he is quick. Matic has more than once been just outside the opponents penalty box when they break, and he has had no chance of getting back and helping out. He also has a habit of sometimes overcommitting and again being caught out opening a huge gap for the opposition.

It is a shame, as he actually has all the tools for being a complete midfielder. His technique is criminally underrated, and add to that a great passing range and a thundering shot and it is a player the other team correctly fears.
He/we must accept that with Fabregas next to him, he is even more responsible for shielding the back four, and it is necessary that he stays back and do what he does best from there, even though it limits him. The team will be better off from it.

Immense player either way, really happy that he is on our side.

He/we must accept that with Fabregas next to him, he is even more responsible for shielding the back four, and it is necessary that he stays back and do what he does best from there, even though it limits him. The team will be better off from it.

I think we should try a midfield three of Mikel (anchorman) Matic (box-to-box instead of Ramires) and Fabregas.

Rami is faster than Mikel, therefore he will be preferred in big matches instead. Mikel works better when we decide to close the shop imo. I'd like to see Mikel+Matic+Fab though.

Maybe Mikel might get some more playing time after his impressive performance against Everton (no, not just DAT BACKHEEL ASSIST, but also he did good at the other stuff as well).

LOL. Oscar would not get into Liverpool startin 11, but gets on Chelsea 11 and brazil...

He would lose out to a team of all brits minus mario for a spot right?

Come on... Oscar would have no chance at liverpool's starting 11. doesn't mean they have a better 11 than us. But on performance wise: Sterrling, Courtinho have been much better. For our system though, I dont think any of their mids would replace Oscar here either

:D:D:clap:

Come on... Oscar would have no chance at liverpool's starting 11. doesn't mean they have a better 11 than us. But on performance wise: Sterrling, Courtinho have been much better. For our system though, I dont think any of their mids would replace Oscar here either