Chelsea v Man United

Jase

This game, in my opinion, is THE pivotal match in both Chelsea & United's season. A draw is absolutely no use to either side. A draw for us could see Citeh power away from us, and a draw for United could scupper their chance for any European place via their league finishing spot. Therefore, I see both sides going for the three points. Should be a home win, though I am a bit concerned that even if RVP or Rooney dont play they still have Hernandez who seems to score against us for fun. Lets just hope we score more. :blue scalf:

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's very unlikely that Matic starts this one. First I find it very unlikely that he'll sign before the training session for this match and second, even if he does, Jose would never put that much pressure on him. If he starts in such a big game and for some reason does badly his confidence will be shattered and he will be judged by that performance alone for ages by both the fans and the media. Coming off the bench, if we do sign him before the match, would be the best thing to do, imo.

I think it's very unlikely that Matic starts this one. First I find it very unlikely that he'll sign before the training session for this match and second, even if he does, Jose would never put that much pressure on him. If he starts in such a big game and for some reason does badly his confidence will be shattered and he will be judged by that performance alone for ages by both the fans and the media. Coming off the bench, if we do sign him before the match, would be the best thing to do, imo.

Nah. Matic is the best. He's world class. Put him straight into the team so he can thrash United's rubbish midfield.. :rolleyes:

Nah. Matic is the best. He's world class. Put him straight into the team so he can thrash United's rubbish midfield.. :rolleyes:

It sounds like you're trying to be sarcastic, but it's not the worst idea in the world to stick him in. He's a good player, he's match-fit and I'm not sure he'd take much time to work out what he should be doing.

Would including him make us a better team?

It sounds like you're trying to be sarcastic, but it's not the worst idea in the world to stick him in. He's a good player, he's match-fit and I'm not sure he'd take much time to work out what he should be doing.

I agree, If he signs in time there is no reason why he shouldn't start against United! he just played a good game against Porto who are a similar level to United, He is a class player and United are just a big name right now and not a great team, its not really that difficult a game to be putting him in! imo its a perfect game to put him in.

Phil Dowd has been appointed referee for Chelsea v Manchester United on Sunday 19 January #CHEMUN

Phil?? Should we give in now, he's such a **** always hates us :(

I can see it now

"...In an astonishing game at Stamford Brisge where Utd were awarded three penalties and Cheslea were down to 9 men.."

.... Chelsea still won 4-3 laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif

It's not that simple. We have a system that requires him to play and move in a certain manner, especially when it comes to our defensive system. He'll need to train at least a couple of times with the team before he can start a major match like this one.

Plus, ignoring all that, making his debut for the club by starting him in such a big match seems to me like a high-risk low-gain gamble.

Remember how we got robbed last season with the two red cards and the offside goal? Time for payback! If we win this it'll be an immense blow to their morale and even getting back in top 4 would seem unlikely for them at that point.

It's not that simple. We have a system that requires him to play and move in a certain manner, especially when it comes to our defensive system. He'll need to train at least a couple of times with the team before he can start a major match like this one.

Plus, ignoring all that, making his debut for the club by starting him in such a big match seems to me like a high-risk low-gain gamble.

I knew that type of thought might come up because it seems the obvious thing to say. I think the transition from the role he's been playing at Benfica to the role he'd be asked to play for us is relatively painless. Someone like Hazard had to deal with so many different things being asked of him, especially defensively that it would be very tough for him to be chucked straight in.

I actually don't see there being very much difference between what he'd be asked to do on a tactical level. The two things we're going to need to do against United are press them when they're in possession (Carrick especially) and look to break quickly when they're in transition and that requires accurate passing. To me, those are two things he does far better than Mikel who is in all likelihood his competition for that spot.

Now I don't know if there's any specific aspects of our system that you think he'd have trouble picking up, but in that position I think his natural game and the game he's been asked to play for Benfica are actually a very close match for our's.

I knew that type of thought might come up because it seems the obvious thing to say. I think the transition from the role he's been playing at Benfica to the role he'd be asked to play for us is relatively painless. Someone like Hazard had to deal with so many different things being asked of him, especially defensively that it would be very tough for him to be chucked straight in.

I actually don't see there being very much difference between what he'd be asked to do on a tactical level. The two things we're going to need to do against United are press them when they're in possession (Carrick especially) and look to break quickly when they're in transition and that requires accurate passing. To me, those are two things he does far better than Mikel who is in all likelihood his competition for that spot.

Now I don't know if there's any specific aspects of our system that you think he'd have trouble picking up, but in that position I think his natural game and the game he's been asked to play for Benfica are actually a very close match for our's.

Maybe, but I'm still not too convinced, tbh. The aspects that I think he'll need to learn before he can start for us, especially in such a big match, mainly have to do with our pressing system. I think he needs to learn where is he supposed to press in our system, with whom of his teammates is he supposed to press (because that is the most important thing in pressing: the coordination between the players), where is he supposed to force the opposition players: centrally or to the wings?...etc.

If we were going to give them the ball and play on the counter then I'd probably agree with you. On any account, we still don't know if he's even going to sign before the match.