Schalke v Chelsea

Jase

Eto'o has to start this one, his intelligence is vital for this, Felipe Santana will gobble up Torres (in a foot race) or Ba (in the air).

I think Azpilicueta should start this one too, Mikel should start with Lamps saved for City.

If Mourinho wanted to play Azpilicueta, he would have done so today. But instead, he continues to flog Ivanovic to death and this after he played during the international break as well and Azpi did not play any. Mourinho will continue his love affair with Ivanovic against Schalke and Man City..

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schalke have 6 players out injured, 1 doubtful..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-v-schalke-champions-league-2471531?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Chelsea’s Champions League hopes have been boosted by Schalke’s crippling injury crisis.

The German side have seven players crocked.

Striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has been ruled out until the New Year with a knee injury.

Kevin-Prince Boateng is struggling with knee problems and will be assessed ahead of Tuesday’s Group E clash, while Jefferson Farfan has suffered hamstring pain.

Midfielder Jermaine Jones, Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Marco Hoger and Sead Kolasinac have also been sidelined.

The Schalke crisis has become so bad that 35-year-old striker Gerald Asamoah has been summoned from the reserves to train with the first-team squad.

Asked about the number of injuries, German international Dennis Aogo said: “It seems like we had the plague!”

I just wonder if Jose will set up to not lose this match first and foremost instead of going all out to win it. I mean we all want to see Chelsea win, but while a draw would probably be disappointing, a loss would be absolutely disastrous. An away draw to Schalke is not that bad, tbh, because beat them at the bridge and we're basically through to the round of 16.

I just wonder if Jose will set up to not lose this match first and foremost instead of going all out to win it. I mean we all want to see Chelsea win, but while a draw would probably be disappointing, a loss would be absolutely disastrous. An away draw to Schalke is not that bad, tbh, because beat them at the bridge and we're basically through to the round of 16.

Not all done and dusted even if we manage to get 4 points against Schalke. Also depends on what Basel do in their games as well. I mean after 4 games, we could have a scenario of this in the group:

1. Basel - P4 9pts

2. Chelsea - P4 7pts

3. Schalke - P4 7pts

And not to mention, we still got to go to Basel on Matchday 5.

Anyway I can honestly see Mou going 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 whatever you want to call it, in this one and playing on the counter but I don't know because from what I've read Oscar was superb today.... still who knows.

Cech

----------

Iva - Cahill/Luiz - Terry - Bertrand/Cole

----------

Mikel

Ramires - Lampard

----------

Andre/Mata - Eto'o - Hazard

I very much doubt we will move away from the 4-2-3-1, even for only one match!

Mourinho wants to create a legacy of attractive football ab he has the 4-2-3-1 in mind for that. He wont want to delay the adaptation period by changing systems throughout the season...

If Mourinho wanted to play Azpilicueta, he would have done so today. But instead, he continues to flog Ivanovic to death and this after he played during the international break as well and Azpi did not play any. Mourinho will continue his love affair with Ivanovic against Schalke and Man City..

ivanovic looked out-of-sorts yesterday. Mourinho should realize that it's time to give Azpi a game. He can do more than just League Cup appearances

I very much doubt we will move away from the 4-2-3-1, even for only one match!

Mourinho wants to create a legacy of attractive football ab he has the 4-2-3-1 in mind for that. He wont want to delay the adaptation period by changing systems throughout the season...

Against Basel though he set up a 4-5-1/4-1-4-1/4-3-3 whatever you want to call it haha. Could do the same against Schalke but you never know.

Ahh! It's do or die! We need all 3 points here

--------------------------Cech-----------------------

Azpi ----- Luiz ------- Terry------- Bertrand

Lampard ------- Ramires

Willian------ Oscar----------- Hazard

Torres

Bertrand looks like suicide but Cole hasn't been too reassuring plus Bertrand would be hungry to earn a better standing in the team plus I thought he performed pretty ok today. I'd rather have Essien than Lampard too bad he's eligible for CL.

Not all done and dusted even if we manage to get 4 points against Schalke. Also depends on what Basel do in their games as well. I mean after 4 games, we could have a scenario of this in the group:

1. Basel - P4 9pts

2. Chelsea - P4 7pts

3. Schalke - P4 7pts

And not to mention, we still got to go to Basel on Matchday 5.

Given that we'll beat Steaua at home, we'll then need to only match Schalke's result vs Basel to qualify. Not the best situation, I know, but certainly miles better than losing on Tuseday because we'd basically be back on Thursday night if we do.

Bertrand looks like suicide but Cole hasn't been too reassuring plus Bertrand would be hungry to earn a better standing in the team plus I thought he performed pretty ok today. I'd rather have Essien than Lampard too bad he's eligible for CL.

I don't think anyone has ever said that about Ryan before! :P Bertrand offers nothing special, but he is as reliable as they get. If there is one player I don't mind getting injured it would be Ash because Ryan is just so solid.

Here's one dodgy stat ahead of this game.

Jose Mourinho has lost all 6 of his European matches against German oppositions in Germany - vs Werder Bremen(x2), Bayern Munich(x2) & Borussia Dortmund(x2). Those 6 losses suffered by Mourinho came during his time at Chelsea, Inter Milan & Real Madrid.

On the other hand, Mourinho will be returning to Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen, the ground where he won the CL with Porto in 2004.

Interesting. I think it's because of his trademark narrow defending, leaving space on the side for someone to cross the ball and the german team are usually very good at cutting crosses, headers from a midfielder running to the box, and are also quite good on long range shots, the defense could maybe clear the ball but if the second ball falls to german midfielder, it can be dangerous.

Given that we'll beat Steaua at home, we'll then need to only match Schalke's result vs Basel to qualify. Not the best situation, I know, but certainly miles better than losing on Tuseday because we'd basically be back on Thursday night if we do.

It depends where we are heading into the last game regarding that 'match Schalke's result vs Basel' to qualify..