Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa

Jase

Man of the Match  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Hazard caught the eye. some lovely moves and assists. playing more confidently MOTM for me. IVA was at fault for the Aston Villa goal in the first place but made up for it by scoring the second goal and afterward he play flawlessly! He was everywhere!

JT incident was clearly a handball but before that a foul should've been awarded given an Aston Villa player climbing his shoulders!

Lukaku Looked sharp but still too raw for such intensive matches to start from beginning.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10258568/Chelsea-ride-their-luck-as-spluttering-start-to-season-continues-under-Jose-Mourinho-after-defeat-of-Aston-Villa.html

'Chelsea ride their luck as spluttering start to season continues under Jose Mourinho after defeat of Aston Villa'

I know we were somewhat fortunate to beat Villa but deary me, that headline from Telegraph is awful.

Spluttering start? Continues?! WTF!!!

The media have probably been waiting for this moment to get on our backs. When United used to win games like this under Fergie, it's because they are the champions, have the know how etc. When we or others win like this, it's because we got lucky! Never condemn United but also target other clubs! :rant: :rant: :rant:

Terrible, terrible game. Villa will feel cheated and with good reason. We deserved to lose this match. JT was probably my MOTM, Rami was decent and everyone else was terrible. Ivanovic should be benched for a months for this performance.

Just want to forget this match..

ugly game but in no way did Villa deserve to win ... suggest you calm down the season has only started

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10258568/Chelsea-ride-their-luck-as-spluttering-start-to-season-continues-under-Jose-Mourinho-after-defeat-of-Aston-Villa.html

'Chelsea ride their luck as spluttering start to season continues under Jose Mourinho after defeat of Aston Villa'

I know we were somewhat fortunate to beat Villa but deary me, that headline from Telegraph is awful.

Spluttering start? Continues?! WTF!!!

The media have probably been waiting for this moment to get on our backs. When United used to win games like this under Fergie, it's because they are the champions, have the know how etc. When we or others win like this, it's because we got lucky! Never condemn United but also target other clubs! :rant: :rant: :rant:

tell that to choulou

you can't always expect a game to be won the way we did on sunday, though game against the villa. Was anyone's game, but we managed to pull it off.

on the defense, iva was amazing imo, typical defender i like to watch in a game, though, sometimes over the line(with the elbow) but that's what i like to see, character and an over my dead body mentality.

more towards the front, didn't see mata at all, made some basic passes nothing more, expect more from him.

hazard did his job and so did oscar

ba disappointed

edit about the elbow, don't want him to be a butcher but it's the over my dead body mentality i'm referring to.

I love the gritty games win by 1 goal (well not when I'm watching them tbh, but when your team wins 2-1 or 1-0 its a nice feeling). Typical Mourinho style too, didn't perform very well, sat deep, played on the counter at times looked dangerous. All these 2-1's and 1-0's against the smaller teams where we haven't performed is brilliant, as you say too its the sign of champions. Picking up points without performing well.

you can't always expect a game to be won the way we did on sunday, though game against the villa. Was anyone's game, but we managed to pull it off.

on the defense, iva was amazing imo, typical defender i like to watch in a game, though, sometimes over the line(with the elbow) but that's what i like to see, character and an over my dead body mentality.

more towards the front, didn't see mata at all, made some basic passes nothing more, expect more from him.

hazard did his job and so did oscar

ba disappointed

that is a quite good summary IMO ,,I was also very disappointed in Mata ,,,felt Oscar was wasted on the wing

'Chelsea ride their luck as spluttering start to season continues under Jose Mourinho after defeat of Aston Villa[/! :rant: :rant: :rant:

Is he drunk or what??? Stupid article.

Funnily enough, in our second game last season against Reading at the Bridge, we also needed some luck to break Reading down through Torres's offside goal. What's even more funny though is that Ivanovic was sent off in the Community Shield back then and was supposed to be suspended for 3 games but ruled out by the FA because it wasn't a competitive match and he then goes and score against Wigan and Reading. The goal against Wigan being the crucial one since it was the opening goal of the game.

Is he drunk or what??? Stupid article.

Media are already sharpening their knives. We played very well overall against Hull and yes, we suffered against Villa but somehow, they deemed us to be making spluttering start already. It was only today we struggled. Just utterly hilarious journalism!

Jose isn't exactly known for fast starts despite results suggesting otherwise.

In 04/05 despite winning 6 and drawing 2 of our first 8, we weren't convincing in any of them and in 05/06 we started the season with wins against Wigan and Arsenal but with performances similar to what we witnessed tonight.

Jose isn't exactly known for fast starts despite results suggesting otherwise.

In 04/05 despite winning 6 and drawing 2 of our first 8, we weren't convincing in any of them and in 05/06 we started the season with wins against Wigan and Arsenal but with performances similar to what we witnessed tonight.

Yeah, I honestly cant understand all the fuss about us winning a tight and difficult game even with a bad performance and luck...It is like people didnt follow us when Mourinho was in charge.

On top of that, they are the same people who complain we dont get those typical unfair United-like wins. Then, look at them now!

Does anyone have a video or gif of Lambert and Mourinho fight?

article-2399171-1B6668A7000005DC-317_634

The best I can do for ya bro

Yeah, I honestly cant understand all the fuss about us winning a tight and difficult game even with a bad performance and luck...It is like people didnt follow us when Mourinho was in charge.

On top of that, they are the same people who complain we dont get those typical unfair United-like wins. Then, look at them now!

that is because they are gooners in disguise :Goober:

Got there in the end. Got the points. Jose made the right subs. Lukaku proved he is the best striker we have. We got a bit lucky but the points are ours. Improvement needs to be made, but we got the result.

Lukaku wasn't on for long but he looked lively and dangerous so he is my motm.

motm? really?

He was okay, that was about it, I wouldn't say he was great.

It's evident we need a new striker, Lukaku is not ready to be a starter, Ba is a squad player and Torres is far too inconsistent.

Don't complain about the media, let them underrate us.

Beginning of last season we where on fire and as soon as all the reports where saying Chelsea where in for the title we just completely bottled it. That came around our usual bad November.

I wasn't that happy when I seen that all the bets where on us and we where favorites for the title. However if it keeps going this way and the media are going to slate our performances for just about anything, that's a bonus. Get the light shining on City, they are the real threats, let the pressure be on them.

motm? really?

He was okay, that was about it, I wouldn't say he was great.

It's evident we need a new striker, Lukaku is not ready to be a starter, Ba is a squad player and Torres is far too inconsistent.

I agree with what you said apart from the highlighted bit, to be inconsistent you need to have a good game every now and agian.

Was at the game, before I get started on my post-match reaction will point out that Nathan Ake was casually strolling into Fulham Broadway station but not that much people seemed to take notice from him. Well he had his entourage so maybe people decided to back off ;)

Anyway my comments about the match. Pleasing to get the 2-1 win as it is another 3 points but tbh that was probably the worst Chelsea match I have been to in my lifetime. Was really a poor match, some of the players were below usual standards. Atmosphere was poor and was in all a scruffy game. What I am surprised at is the amount of critics for Brana. I thought he had a solid game. Funnily enough he was the first person I voted as my MOTM before I read the comments and a lot of people seem to have chosen him as well. He was rock solid, dealt with Agbonlahor in most duels and when against Benteke done very well as well plus scored the winner and gave 100%.

Cahill had a solid game as well. Him and Terry but I will compliment Cahill more because people thought he was going to be a complete liability today against Benteke and although he scored I feel our defence done well against him. Cahill's tackle in the first half was world class as well. I was really impressed with him today. Mata had a poor game but he will come good. Maybe just not match sharp yet. Oscar had another good game and impressed me.

Now with Lukaku I have always supported the cause that right now he should be our no.1 striker but I think people are overreacting to today's game about his performance and why he proved he is better than all our other strikers. Not that I disagree with this notion but when coming on from the bench it is easier to bring more into the game compared to when starting from the beginning. When you start from the beginning like Ba did this game, they can be easily isolated. When coming on from the bench you are more fresher than other players and can be easier to make an impact. Ba was bad today but I will not completely blame him because the whole team was awful. I would like Lukaku to start next match my self but as I was saying he may find himself in a similar situation, he might not however it is difficult playing as the lone striker. I feel if Ba came on from the bench he may have caused more problems that is why I think people should just wait a bit for comparing someone who has started a game compared to someone who is more fresh coming on from the bench. Saying that I hope Lukaku does get a start against United and hopefully can prove a point that he is capable of being a starter here.

I still feel Cole needs to offer more as a fullback. I look at most top teams in the PL and Europe and their fullbacks are very good attacking and defensive wise. Cole seems to have lost all his attacking impetus and that is a shame because I feel our fullbacks should offer more sometimes going forward to add more of a threat. He never seemed to get out of his area in the match but did good defensive wise but I do feel the lack of attacking threat from our FB might prove a hindrance sometimes.

I also agree with Mourinho leaving MVG out from the starting 11 for now. He impressed in pre-season but as people know, pre-season is completely different to the real thing. He is still very young and made a big step up and to come to Chelsea at the age of 20 is a big move and he will need time. He looked very nervous last night and seemed to kick the ball anywhere without actually taking time and looking to find a teammate with a pass. I don't expect to see him in the starting line up against United as well but I think it is best for him if he slowly plays his way into the Chelsea team. I have a feeling Jose might start Mikel for that game, who knows?

I will admit as a Chelsea fan that I have not been totally impressed with out performances so far and looks like we need to work on a lot of areas but the most important thing is that we have won both our games and that is what counts and is good momentum for the United match.

Is it just me but I didn't think Ivanovic on Benteke was a red at all. He was focused on winning the ball and just barged into Benteke and his forearm caught Benteke. It's not like he cocked it back and then struck him (which Benteke did last year to Azpi).

JT handball was arguable, I can see those being given but I can also understand why it wasn't, it did look like he was fouled hence the arm was raised but when you say it's a physical game and contact goes then possibly it wasn't a foul on JT.

I also feel that people are massively overrating Lukaku's performance. We were countering while he was on since Villa were actually trying to go for it and left space for Lukaku. He's not going to get that room if he's starting.