Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa

Jase

Man of the Match  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Is it just me but I didn't think Ivanovic on Benteke was a red at all. He was focused on winning the ball and just barged into Benteke and his forearm caught Benteke. It's not like he cocked it back and then struck him (which Benteke did last year to Azpi).

JT handball was arguable, I can see those being given but I can also understand why it wasn't, it did look like he was fouled hence the arm was raised but when you say it's a physical game and contact goes then possibly it wasn't a foul on JT.

I also feel that people are massively overrating Lukaku's performance. We were countering while he was on since Villa were actually trying to go for it and left space for Lukaku. He's not going to get that room if he's starting.

Fully agree regarding Lukaku, he is a good player with a great future but just simply isn't ready to lead the line at a club with design's on winning the title and judging by the fact were after a new forward, Jose seems to agree.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10258568/Chelsea-ride-their-luck-as-spluttering-start-to-season-continues-under-Jose-Mourinho-after-defeat-of-Aston-Villa.html

'Chelsea ride their luck as spluttering start to season continues under Jose Mourinho after defeat of Aston Villa'

I know we were somewhat fortunate to beat Villa but deary me, that headline from Telegraph is awful.

Spluttering start? Continues?! WTF!!!

The media have probably been waiting for this moment to get on our backs. When United used to win games like this under Fergie, it's because they are the champions, have the know how etc. When we or others win like this, it's because we got lucky! Never condemn United but also target other clubs! :rant: :rant: :rant:

They can keep their headline for all I care.

I prefer spluttering starts to the season, rather than spluttering ends.

Didn't watch the game cause it is like 2 or 3 am here. I have a nice sleep on matchday in midweek like never before, the only reason because of Jose. When I woke up and I saw the scoreline 2-1, I smiled. That's what matters, really. Surprised so many negative comments here, must be a bad performance from our lads, but it doesn't matter I think, we got the job done. United next.

My thoughts:

Ugly game where we lacked a coherent attack for the most part. Villa clogged the middle, especially around their 18, yet our attacking band were seemingly stacked on top of each other in this area far too much. Spacing fellas, spacing. Terry and Cahill look appreciably better than last season, though JT seemed culpable for Villa's goal. I think much of the praise for Rom's performance I've seen on here is rooted in the fact that he looked much better today than Ba, which wasn't very difficult see as Demba spent large chunks of his time on the pitch offside. Buy a damn good striker. Ya basta! Rom isn't ready yet, Nando is done, and Ba might be.

Rami was my MOTM though. I don't want to put the malocchio on this facet of his game, but his passing appears to be vastly improved. He may have finally done away with won of his biggest weaknesses. Additionally, he constantly harried the opponent, won back possession, and broke up attacks. His work rate, as per usual, was exceptional. He's the type of player we need for these type of matches where we are trying grind out a result.

You know something is wrong when Weimann , Benteke and Agbonlahor are looking more dangerous than Hazard,Oscar and Mata.

Reminds you, their morale is on a highest level after the Arsenal game and also their fitness level must be better than ours.

I also agree with Mourinho leaving MVG out from the starting 11 for now. He impressed in pre-season but as people know, pre-season is completely different to the real thing. He is still very young and made a big step up and to come to Chelsea at the age of 20 is a big move and he will need time. He looked very nervous last night and seemed to kick the ball anywhere without actually taking time and looking to find a teammate with a pass. I don't expect to see him in the starting line up against United as well but I think it is best for him if he slowly plays his way into the Chelsea team. I have a feeling Jose might start Mikel for that game, who knows?

For the record Van Ginkel attempted 5 passes and was 80% on his deliveries.... he had one he couldn't bring down and turned it over. Lets not start jumping to conclusions on a player who had 9mins of work.

Fully agree regarding Lukaku, he is a good player with a great future but just simply isn't ready to lead the line at a club with design's on winning the title and judging by the fact were after a new forward, Jose seems to agree.

I'm sorry, but you can't say something like this until Lukaku starts a match. He deserves a shot after the preseason he had.

Lamps was tragic, so was Ba. Yes, Cech made some good saves, but those voting him for MOTM, seriously? He got beaten at the near post again. It seems to be common place for him now, its actually frustrating me.

Ramires and Hazard were bosses, winning the ball back and keeping it, and Lukaku looked brilliant for me. I'd go with him, and Torres coming off the bench later in the game for the MAN U game. Lukaku is young, fired up, and chases everything. Plus MAN U won't be expecting it or be familiar with his play so much. We'll also be able to play our counter attacking game due to more than likely not having 70% possession this time around.

A lot of people will rag on Ivanovic's play, but I completely support him for his tactics. Benteke was doing the same thing all night, and somehow it was our players getting penalized in the air. I couldn't be more glad when he got that yellow and got smacked by the high boot. Needs to go whine somewhere else, and don't want him on our team like some are hoping for. We already got all the good Belgians, and a better striker in Lukaku.

3 points in the bag, let's move on!

This is the difference between last year, and now. If we played bad last season, we would lose or draw. If we'd mess up just the slightest bit, we'd lose points. Now we've got a competent manager, so I'd take this 'playing inadequately but still getting the 3 points" any day, compared to losing a 2-0 lead to Reading or Southampton.

3 points in the bag, let's move on!

This is the difference between last year, and now. If we played bad last season, we would lose or draw. If we'd mess up just the slightest bit, we'd lose points. Now we've got a competent manager, so I'd take this 'playing inadequately but still getting the 3 points" any day, compared to losing a 2-0 lead to Reading or Southampton.

Now , we have more players that could change the game , the last season ,benayoun, marin is so different..

For the record Van Ginkel attempted 5 passes and was 80% on his deliveries.... he had one he couldn't bring down and turned it over. Lets not start jumping to conclusions on a player who had 9mins of work.

Well, Lampard may have been poor but you have stated he "offered nothing". He made a great delivery for the second goal. I am not looking at his MVG completion level. I watched him play and IMO he looked very nervous. Like I said he is young and it is hard to make a step up but there was two times he had the ball and just cleared it to the opposition. If he had a bit more confidence and composure you wold have picked out a pass to a team mate. Personally I was surprised with that change near the end anyway. I think he should have brought Mikel on simply because he would of provide a lot more protection, kept possession but it seems part of the reason Mourinho brought him on is to give him game time like he promised him. I found it an odd sub for Mourinho to make. A lot of people may not agree but that is my honest opinion.

Personally, I thought MVG would have started 1 of the 2 games however he did not. I have a feeling that Lampard might be dropped for United but I would expect to see Mikel or Essien come in his place, not MVG because I think Mourinho will want to control the midfield with power.

José is bringing him slowly, as he should. I see the search for a striker more as a result of the failing of Ba and Torrid.