Benat

Joker10

Thats wrong. the Spanish league is all about pressure and mobility. The fact the game there isnt about running from box to box for 90 mins doesnt say mobility isnt important. But i agree about anything else you wrote. When does Cabaye come back from his injury btw?

Spanish teams play a slower game, keep the playing field short and let the ball do the work, not all teams but most, meaning players have to cover shorter distances and don't have to run/sprint as much compared to the PL, which of course is far less tiring. And with a more hectic schedule, there's less time to recover (Chelsea v QPR). And that's what I meant with that part.

I don't know when he'll be back but I think soon.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We definitely need a deep-lying midfielder and Benat seems like he'd be a good choice. My real concern though is then what happens with Oscar? I understand the Oscar transfer only if Chelsea were going to make him into their deep-lying midfielder and there was indication from Oscar that this was indeed going to be the case. He's going to have a difficult time getting regular starts up front with Hazard and Mata ahead of him so my preference would be to start giving Oscar more games in the pivot to see what he can do there and if he doesn't work, we can get a replacement in the summer. (It's not like it's Benat or nobody. There are a number of central midfielders who will be available.)

We definitely need a deep-lying midfielder and Benat seems like he'd be a good choice. My real concern though is then what happens with Oscar? I understand the Oscar transfer only if Chelsea were going to make him into their deep-lying midfielder and there was indication from Oscar that this was indeed going to be the case. He's going to have a difficult time getting regular starts up front with Hazard and Mata ahead of him so my preference would be to start giving Oscar more games in the pivot to see what he can do there and if he doesn't work, we can get a replacement in the summer. (It's not like it's Benat or nobody. There are a number of central midfielders who will be available.)

I think the intention the Chelsea board always had was to gradually move Oscar to a deeper position (deep-lying playmaker role). I still don't agree with Oscar not being ready, he's more than ready to play there. I think the problem is not Oscar but the formation. 4-3-3 is much more balanced and suits the style of play we're trying to play much better than 4-2-3-1. I think it would accomodate Oscar much better as well.

Assuming we were to buy Benat, then we could have a midfield trio of Mikel, Benat and Oscar, which could work very well with Oscar in a slightly more advanced role than Benat. The only question is how Hazard and Mata would work on the wings. They could still push inside like they naturally do anyway and the full-backs could provide with. It's essentially what Di Matteo was trying to do but playing 4-2-3-1 instead, which left us vulnerable to counter attacks.

I think the intention the Chelsea board always had was to gradually move Oscar to a deeper position (deep-lying playmaker role). I still don't agree with Oscar not being ready, he's more than ready to play there. I think the problem is not Oscar but the formation. 4-3-3 is much more balanced and suits the style of play we're trying to play much better than 4-2-3-1. I think it would accomodate Oscar much better as well.

Assuming we were to buy Benat, then we could have a midfield trio of Mikel, Benat and Oscar, which could work very well with Oscar in a slightly more advanced role than Benat. The only question is how Hazard and Mata would work on the wings. They could still push inside like they naturally do anyway and the full-backs could provide with. It's essentially what Di Matteo was trying to do but playing 4-2-3-1 instead, which left us vulnerable to counter attacks.

I think formations tend to be too much of a fad (there's always an "in" formation) and managers should use the one that is best for your squad rather than trying to copy one that fits another team. That said, The 4-3-3 would solve problems for some players (it would also be better for Ramires IMO) but would be worse for Hazard and Mata who are our two best offensive players which is why I don't see it happening. I don't know if anyone really plays with a narrow 4-3-3 these days because it leaves your wings so exposed. You clog the centre of the pitch, but your width has to come from your fullbacks with really no cover. If a cross by a fullback isn't successful or if they give away possession, the opposition winger can run, unmolested, the length of the pitch. Offensively, there are problems as well because it would (once again) mean that Hazard, Mata, and Oscar would be playing in very much the same area of the pitch.

I think formations tend to be too much of a fad (there's always an "in" formation) and managers should use the one that is best for your squad rather than trying to copy one that fits another team.

I fully agree with this!

In a way, it made sense for Di Matteo to use 4-2-3-1 after us buying a bunch of attacking midfielders/wingers. What I will never be able to understand is the board leaving us so short on holding midfielders. Attacking midfielders and holding midfielders are obviously both very important in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but they left us with two true holding midfield players (I'm not counting Lampard, Ramires or Luiz as none of them are naturals in this position). It was questionable decision making by the board, to be honest.

That said, The 4-3-3 would solve problems for some players (it would also be better for Ramires IMO) but would be worse for Hazard and Mata who are our two best offensive players which is why I don't see it happening. I don't know if anyone really plays with a narrow 4-3-3 these days because it leaves your wings so exposed. You clog the centre of the pitch, but your width has to come from your fullbacks with really no cover. If a cross by a fullback isn't successful or if they give away possession, the opposition winger can run, unmolested, the length of the pitch. Offensively, there are problems as well because it would (once again) mean that Hazard, Mata, and Oscar would be playing in very much the same area of the pitch.

I still think 4-3-3 suits our players better and suits the system we're attempting to adapt more, but that's just my view on it. As you said, Ramires would obviously benefit from it. As would Oscar and Mikel. I think it makes much more sense to try and adapt Hazard and Mata on the wings than trying to turn the likes of Luiz, Lampard and Ramires into holding midfielders. Hazard has the speed of a winger to begin with, and while Mata may lack speed, his intelligence and off the ball movement makes up for this.

Under Mourinho, we played a 4-3-3 with Cole on the left wing and Robben on the right wing, more often than not. Both were instructed cut inside frequently which left us very narrow at times. I think Hazard and Mata could do this perfectly.

There's strengths and weaknesses in every formation, no matter which one you choose. And if we're going to persist with possession football and continue to buy technically gifted player then 4-3-3 is the best fit. And to be honest, I would like to see us make the switch for the above reasons, but also because I'm sick of the 'pivot'. I'm sick of everyone talking about it, mentioning it in every thread and all of the problems it seems to cause. Because of this 'pivot,' we've started turned central midfielders and centre-backs into holding midfielders.

Beñat Chelsea wants to replace Frank Lampard "Everything Beñat not sell for 20 million will be a disaster," said Mel few days ago endorsing the speech club. In reckoning Chelsea start.

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2013/01/07/primera/1357525422_633192.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Come on Chelsea lets get him.

Basically the same as above:

Chelsea are thought to have had an £8m bid rejected for Real Betis midfielder Benat. (AS via Daily Star)

I hope we bid enough to get him he is exactly what we need after the Ba transfer!

2 questions: How do you pronounce his name? Is he physical and defensively strong?

We could do with a Deep lying playmaker/Defensive miffielder HYBRID (Alonso) which I'm getting the impression Benat is not.

BEN YA

2 questions: How do you pronounce his name? Is he physical and defensively strong?

We could do with a Deep lying playmaker/Defensive miffielder HYBRID (Alonso) which I'm getting the impression Benat is not.

Today, there is no one similar to Alonso, but maybe Busquets. Either CMs are more offensive (Moutinho, Modric, Cabaye,...) or DMs (Mikel, Song,...). Busquets is closest to what Alonso is, but even he doesnt have such great long passing. Maybe Javi Martinez will evolve to Alonso, but he is very defensive now and doesnt have same ball control as Alonso. Another mention is DeRossi but he wont leave and is also older. I think Benat right now is very good choice. He isnt exactly Makelele or Alonso in defending, but he is much more tactical if you compare him to Moutinho, Modric,...he sticks in midfield and works there very well. For I say 18-20mio, he would be very good buy.

People who see him playing alot defined him for me as a midfielder who is similar to Alonso, in aspect of defensive work and playmaking abilities at the back. Sounds good to me.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You