Benat

Joker10

Aware that Benat’s contract ends in June 2014 both City and Chelsea are reportedly interested in sealing a cut-price transfer, however the verdiblancos boss told reporters in Seville on Thursday the Spanish international playmaker would not be sold unless a club triggered his release clause.

“Benat’s clause is €20 million and he will only leave for €20 million,” Mel said. “To sell him for anything less would be a disaster. The club must defend its position and Benat knows that. To be able to go the market and find a replacement, the only number is €20 million. He has one more year left on his contract and he can fulfill that.”

Benat’s fellow midfielder Canas has just six months left on his deal. According to reports in the UK media the former Betis youth product, 25, has reportedly already agreed terms with Swansea, who are willing to offer around €500,000 to push through a deal during the current transfer window.

Mel admitted that contract negotiations with Canas had ended, but said he was certain the player would not leave until the summer.

“I am 100% sure that he will not stay here after June 30,” he said. “Knowing his commitment to the club and his teammates, he will give 100% while he is here. (On Friday at Real Zaragoza), he will play.”

The present focus at Betis, who sit fifth in the Primera Division, was on strengthening the squad to help their push for European qualification, Mel said.

“To fight for the top positions, you need to be reinforcing the squad,” he said. “We have a month to go, and options to reinforce the squad in some positions which can be improved. The club must know there is a risk the squad cannot compete over these five very important months.”

His side went into the winter break hurting after a 1-2 home loss to Real Mallorca, making a win at Zaragoza in Friday’s first game back extra important, Mel said.

“The only thing of use to us in a win,” he said. “It is an important game as it is the next one. It is the first of the year and we went away with a bad taste in our mouths. We hope that does not happen again. Points can fly away, they do not come back, and we always have to fight to get them.”

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=1287602&cc=5901

Could be another fine piece of business.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I've seen him he's been great. Fantastic playmaker.

However, I don't think he's what we need anymore. He is what we need if we for some reason intent on sticking with Torres, but otherwise, it'd make more sense to go for a more robust midfielder in my opinion.

The starter of the thread didn't want to write his last name did he? :D

However, I don't think he's what we need anymore. He is what we need if we for some reason intent on sticking with Torres, but otherwise, it'd make more sense to go for a more robust midfielder in my opinion.

I don't know much about Benat, but Torres can't get a much better service than he gets right now with the likes of Mata, Oscar and Hazard behind him.

If we want a deep lying playmaker finally in our chelsea team, an important piece of possesion football, for a cheap price then benat is the man.

But we unfortunately have too many light weights in our team, so I'm not too into this. If he was as tough as alonso, I would get him in a heart beat.

Hmm. I still think we could do with a proper deep lying playmaker in the squad, we don't have one whatsoever, regardless if Torres goes or stays. We have no real initiator in the pivot. Unless of course you see Luiz in the pivot permanently, which I don't.

If we want a deep lying playmaker finally in our chelsea team, an important piece of possesion football, for a cheap price then benat is the man.

But we unfortunately have too many light weights in our team, so I'm not too into this. If he was as tough as alonso, I would get him in a heart beat.

I agree with this completely. I think Benat would be a smart buy price-wise that would offer us the deep playmaking we could really use. But he's only 5'8" (1.75m) or so, which is kinda small considering the size of the rest of our team. I suppose we could play him most of the time, and then swap him for Luiz or Lamps against more physical sides. Benat, Lampard, Luiz, and Ramires would give us a ton of different strategic options.

His height leads into the next question though: if he's too small, who, aside from Fellaini, is big enough, good enough, cheap enough, and available instead?

Hmm. I still think we could do with a proper deep lying playmaker in the squad, we don't have one whatsoever, regardless if Torres goes or stays. We have no real initiator in the pivot. Unless of course you see Luiz in the pivot permanently, which I don't.

Well, then I'd like to see us having a go on Moutinho who would be more expensive though.

I've only seen him play once for Spain in a friendly against some crappy team. He was awesome in the game.

I came here to post the exact same thing. I think I saw Nacho Monreal for the first time in the same game(s), and thought to myself, "these are some names"

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You