Demba Ba

KonohasOrangeFlash

Actually that's partly the case. You know Torres has (or has had) the potential that Ba (with all due respect) will never have. You praise Ba for his the way he moves off the ball and the great runs he makes occasionally, but they are not that often as you make it look like. Torres has had his good games too with his fair share of contribution to our EL victory.

So what if Torres has showed the potential or that world class before? We have been waiting 2 1/2 years for him to even get anywhere it and hardly saw anything of it! Said previously, Ba was never a world class player yes but he was effective in what he does and he didn't suddenly just become a bad player after joining us. Under Mourinho next season, he would fit in nicely as the 2nd/3rd choice ST especially when he's not yet a 'finished' striker like someone.

As for praising Ba's movement, I only pointed out what I saw from him in the games he played. Didn't even try to pretend and make it like it's out of this world. Can't be helped if people can't see it, choose to ignore it etc.

I just don't think that showing some good movement excuses his poor finishing, that's why I said that match wasn't the best example of good general play.

:doh: Since when I was making excuses for Ba's poor finishing with his good movement?! All I did was comparing the aspects of play (the goals aside) that I see from Ba and Torres and stating the former's one is better!

Except you're saying "for example" and using pretty much all his good games. Over the course of the Premier League season, he has 2 goals and 0 assists in 14 games with us. That's awful. Yes, his movement, at times, was better than Torres, but Torres was better at drawing away defenders wide (which also opens up space), at crossing the ball, at playing through balls, etc...

Yes, those were his better games but let's not make it as if all his other games were horribly bad. And no doubt his goal return wasn't great but had he buried those many chances he got, we would all be speaking of Ba differently right now...

I have been one of Torres harshest critics on here and still am convinced that he's not good enough for Chelsea, but he was actually overall better than Ba was with us last season.

Not exactly fair to judge and compare two players' season like that when one had a full season while the other only had 5 months with us.

The thing is that with Torres staying we'll either have to keep Ba as a possible 3rd striker or sell him and go for some proven striker as Jose can't risk his chances with the Spaniard.It would be very simple if we sold Torres but since that is not a serious option we must adjust.Lukaku will not be given the title of a second striker as there will be 3 top players for that sole position.Depending on whom we bring this summer and by all the striker's performances,the role will be decided.Lukaku could well be our main striker also if he does well or also in worst case be 3rd.

1. 1st choice - Lukaku. Sky-high potential here. Considerable strength, but also surprising pace and acceleration. Dominant in the air, and effective at hold-up. Relatively good finisher, good goal instincts, and clearly incredibly confident. Deserves his chance after 17 goals in a mid-table team such as West Brom where, let us not forget, he was heavily rotated. His minutes-to-goals ratio was phenomenal; I think in the league only van Persie was more frequently putting the ball in the net.
  2. 2nd/3rd choice - Demba Ba. Experienced, with little chance of further progression at his age. However, like Lukaku, he is very strong, but he is less direct that Lukaku. He is better at holding the ball up and a slightly better finisher. Also, very good in the air. A perfect option to throw in with 20 minutes left against tiring defenders. He has barely any pace, but he will enable us to further utilise the long-ball.
  3. 2nd/3rd choice - Fernando Torres. An altogether different player to both. Prefers to run on to through-balls than trying to hold it up/turn players. Generally an excellent finisher. Brilliant against low-profile teams.

The fact is, we have three brilliantly different players here. Lukaku has so much room to grow, it really is exciting! Torres and Ba can get the job done. The truth of the matter is Chelsea is a team that barely utilises a striker. Even under Mourinho in 2004-2007, we relied on our midfield to score goals. The same will be true next season - I guarantee that Schurrle, Hazard, Mata, Oscar, and Lampard supply us 60-70 goals between them. You look at our defenders, there is the potential to 10-15 goals there, and the same outlay from our other attacking midfielders (KdB, Moses, etc.) gives us 100 goals, give or take. Then, Ba, Lukaku and Torres can reasonably add, what, 30-45 between the three of them?

Obviously this is only a crude measure, but it shows that probably 60-70% of our goals come from elsewhere. Our style of play almost bypasses our forwards. There is a reason why the likes of Ba and Torres - players who were previously completely dominant before joining us - are average at best, now. Even when Drogba had his two 30+ goals seasons, and the likes of Anelka and Kalou were ably offering 15-20 themselves, they were still only contributing about a quarter of our goals - maybe a third, at a push. That ratio is far lower than teams such as United, for instance. Since Mourinho first came, the centre-forward has been a foil for our other attacking players. That's why your Lampards and your Matas have been so productive.

So, I ask this - do we really need to spend £30-45 million on someone who is barely going to contribute more than our current strikers presently do?

1. 1st choice - Lukaku. Sky-high potential here. Considerable strength, but also surprising pace and acceleration. Dominant in the air, and effective at hold-up. Relatively good finisher, good goal instincts, and clearly incredibly confident. Deserves his chance after 17 goals in a mid-table team such as West Brom where, let us not forget, he was heavily rotated. His minutes-to-goals ratio was phenomenal; I think in the league only van Persie was more frequently putting the ball in the net.
  2. 2nd/3rd choice - Demba Ba. Experienced, with little chance of further progression at his age. However, like Lukaku, he is very strong, but he is less direct that Lukaku. He is better at holding the ball up and a slightly better finisher. Also, very good in the air. A perfect option to throw in with 20 minutes left against tiring defenders. He has barely any pace, but he will enable us to further utilise the long-ball.
  3. 2nd/3rd choice - Fernando Torres. An altogether different player to both. Prefers to run on to through-balls than trying to hold it up/turn players. Generally an excellent finisher. Brilliant against low-profile teams.

The fact is, we have three brilliantly different players here. Lukaku has so much room to grow, it really is exciting! Torres and Ba can get the job done. The truth of the matter is Chelsea is a team that barely utilises a striker. Even under Mourinho in 2004-2007, we relied on our midfield to score goals. The same will be true next season - I guarantee that Schurrle, Hazard, Mata, Oscar, and Lampard supply us 60-70 goals between them. You look at our defenders, there is the potential to 10-15 goals there, and the same outlay from our other attacking midfielders (KdB, Moses, etc.) gives us 100 goals, give or take. Then, Ba, Lukaku and Torres can reasonably add, what, 30-45 between the three of them?

Obviously this is only a crude measure, but it shows that probably 60-70% of our goals come from elsewhere. Our style of play almost bypasses our forwards. There is a reason why the likes of Ba and Torres - players who were previously completely dominant before joining us - are average at best, now. Even when Drogba had his two 30+ goals seasons, and the likes of Anelka and Kalou were ably offering 15-20 themselves, they were still only contributing about a quarter of our goals - maybe a third, at a push. That ratio is far lower than teams such as United, for instance. Since Mourinho first came, the centre-forward has been a foil for our other attacking players. That's why your Lampards and your Matas have been so productive.

So, I ask this - do we really need to spend £30-45 million on someone who is barely going to contribute more than our current strikers presently do?

There is absolutely no need of spending 30m on a striker now as no one available is worth that anymore.Maybe it would be wiser to bring in someone like Zlatan or Klose,players of vast experience who'll be willing to stay for maximum season or two.Such a move wouldn't affect Lukaku's development either and would create a healthy competition amongst the three.

I have nothing against Ba and if the club feel that he should be sold then his replacement shouldn't be a Plan C striker like Soldado,Benteke etc.

^ I absolutely agree. The sad thing is, I can see the club shitting £25 million on someone like Mario Gomez, just for the sake of him "being available".

The 3 options we had earlier(Falcao,Cavani and Lewandowski) are not possible anymore.The options now available aren't worth their quoted transfer amount,it would be foolish of us to pay 20m+ just because we wish to have another striker.Perhaps it would be best to keep Ba and try again in the winter transfer window.

Lukaku is nowhere near dominant in the air (yet) and his hold-up play is still not that good. Ba is better on both those accounts. Lukaku plays like Torres. Lukaku/Torres with Ba is a good combo, so Ba should def stay as he is different than both whereas Lukaku and Torres have a very similar playing style, only difference is that Lukaku plays like a man. You don't get anything more or different from Torres instead of Lukaku except better vision, but I rather have a bigger goal threat (Lukaku) instead of that.

It's hard to judge how Lukaku does, but he def has the tools to become a reliable first choice striker this very year. However, it wouldn't be surprising if he struggles with inconsistency. That said, we're def much better in our striker department than last year, but good enough to win the league? Not sure. Hopefully I'm wrong, I can't put anything past a determined Lukaku.

^ I absolutely agree. The sad thing is, I can see the club shitting £25 million on someone like Mario Gomez, just for the sake of him "being available".

Gomez would be good for that price, ok he's not that much of a big game player but he knows how to put away the "lesser" sides, which is as important if not more (see United 08/09) than winning the big games if you want to win the title.

Win 17 out of 20 against the bottom half sides then you only need about 35 (give or take a few either way) more points against the top half teams.

Reports in Spain that Atletico Madrid want to sign him. They have £30m to spend in this window and don't want to spend more than £10m on any player meaning Gomez who was previously linked is out of the question, hence Ba's name popping up.

Fenerbahçe have made an enquiry about the availability of Demba Ba ahead of lining a £7M bid for the striker. [TurkishFootball] #CFC

If we are going to sell Ba, then I think we would very likely bring in another striker, somehow and from somewhere. No way Mourinho will go into the season with only 2 out and out striker in the team. He always has had at least 3 proper strikers in his previously managed team.

I think two of the reasons for why he wasn't "on form" with us is:

1. Torres kept getting playing time ahead of Ba, although we all know Floppes is not as good.

2. In Newcastle he was the main man, players would specificaly look for him when on the ball, but here we have Mata and Hazard and Oscar who love keeping the ball, dribbling, creating chances for each other.. so the system is also different + he gets less opportunities.

I don't think saying Ba "failed" at Chelsea is fair. He did a descent job and I'm sure he'll come of good this season.

Guy never failed, and I can't see him leaving this window, in fact I can't see us signing a striker this window given the calibre of what's left I. The market place.

Besides JM made it pretty clear that his second stint in charge would revolve around developing talent... don't expect to see the club spend big money on established world class players over the next 3-4 years.

I actually favor this approach, clubs done a fantastic job of buying potential, got the nucleus of a great team which can play together for +10 years. If that means we forgot silverware next year then so be it....