Fernando Torres

We really need to buy a creative midfielder for this man.

Obviously not *exclusively* for him, but the service he gets is appalling.

Torres said to self: If nobody on this team wants to give me the ball, I'll go find somebody who will. A week later...Mata.

I kid but I think once he got wind of Mata he took the bull by the horns (no pun intended) and sold Chelsea to Mata. The service to Torres is an issue but every forward on this team should demand quality service and every player on this team should want to provide it to Torres, Drobga, Lukaku, Sturridge, Kalou, etc. It's a team game and if you can't get one player involved, especially your spearhead, something needs to be corrected. And it appears AVB is trying to do that not just for Torres but for the team.

I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately it's been well shown that the partnership doesn't work. Any surprise Torres, who was great against Stoke and pretty good against WBA, looked a bit flat today? I wish AVB had given him and Mata more time. Space is Torres' best friend and I think he would have been better in the last 20 minutes.

Just wanted to add that the above in no way absolves Torres from not being better today. He needs to sharpen up quick in the box.

Most frustrating thing about Torres and Drogba is on paper there partnership should be the most feared in the world.

They are both polar opposites in terms of their strenghts and are both world class forwards, on paper it should have got close to the Jimmy and Eidur partnership.

I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately it's been well shown that the partnership doesn't work. Any surprise Torres, who was great against Stoke and pretty good against WBA, looked a bit flat today? I wish AVB had given him and Mata more time. Space is Torres' best friend and I think he would have been better in the last 20 minutes.

Just wanted to add that the above in no way absolves Torres from not being better today. He needs to sharpen up quick in the box.

Yeah he looked flat today. It was not the eager and confident looking Torres we saw in the first 2 games. In the first half there was a situation where Lampard played a beautiful first time ball towards him and he was on the edge of the area one on one with a defender and he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. I guarantee you the Torres of earlier would have taken on the defender with a change of pace, made some room for himself and gotten a shot away, possibly scored.

Most frustrating thing about Torres and Drogba is on paper there partnership should be the most feared in the world.

They are both polar opposites in terms of their strenghts and are both world class forwards, on paper it should have got close to the Jimmy and Eidur partnership.

they don't even look as if they enjoy playing together

Yeah he looked flat today. It was not the eager and confident looking Torres we saw in the first 2 games. In the first half there was a situation where Lampard played a beautiful first time ball towards him and he was on the edge of the area one on one with a defender and he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights. I guarantee you the Torres of earlier would have taken on the defender with a change of pace, made some room for himself and gotten a shot away, possibly scored.

That's the play where he rightly should be criticized. Poor from him. I've have given him a 7.5 for Stoke, a 6.5 for WBA and a 5.5 for today. He wasn't good today but it highlights why the DD/FT partnership doesn't work.

Torres seems to be a jinxed player. He was fantastic at Atletico and in his first two years at Liverpool but, whatever his physical state at the moment, his confidence seems to have been completely eroded by the media shitstorm surrounding his move to Chelsea and I can't see things getting any better. The press are unlikely to let things go unless he scores braces and hattricks in every game and it looks like yet another barren season for him. Sad to see all that brilliance erased but he appears to have fallen out of love with football and the move to Chelsea just doesn't seem to have taken fire. Thank God for Mata who appears to be as resilient as he is dynamic.