Fernando Torres

Stats like that are pointless, IE Ivanovic scored more goals in half a hour (against Spartak) than Rooney did in 8 months or Ivanovic scored more goals in his first hour against Liverpool than Gerrard ever has against Chelsea.

Haha relax, relax, just a bit of fun stating it. I know in context it's a different story :P

El Nino has been reborn today! Now let's hope Malouda and Kalou get a little concussion too :P

If Kalou gets concussion its useless, cuz the dude will need to start all over from the time he joined chelsea. SO thats another 6 years so that he can get to the level he is right now. Sometimes there are no solutions to some problems.

If Kalou gets concussion its useless, cuz the dude will need to start all over from the time he joined chelsea. SO thats another 6 years so that he can get to the level he is right now. Sometimes there are no solutions to some problems.

I know it was a joke but the principle is correct. Both can be criticized for their performances of the last 7 months. The difference is the talent level. Torres' talent is in the realms of being world class. Hopefully, he'll swiftly return to those heights. Kalou, I think, can probably have a very nice and long career being a solid professional footballer (and earn enough for a lifetime) but no one will accuse him of being world class.

Pat Nevin on Torres...

The most important thing for me was Fernando Torres and his performance. Now allow me just a little smugness here, I have defended Fernando to the hilt continually since he joined Chelsea, particularly on this page but also on TV and radio in the UK. While others said he was washed up, or whatever, I felt he was actually playing very well because his aptitude was perfect but more important his movement was still world-class.

I particularly remember one night before he scored his first goal when it felt like the entire press room was writing him off as a player and I argued my case alone for what seemed hours. Well even a total football novice could see that Fernando Torres was the best player on the park at the weekend and he was so while generally being marked and kicked by three hefty Stoke defenders at a time. His hold-up play was superb, his quick feet and strength were back to the best I have ever witnessed from him and for me he was unlucky not to score even though he was so heavily outnumbered. That will come.

Whether or not he becomes a Chelsea legend in time is still open to debate, but what in my mind is no longer a discussion is that he is washed up. Give him the right team, a bit of creation behind him and he will score huge number of goals each season. I just hope it is for us.

From Giles Smith's blog:

Fernando Torres looked a little bashful about picking up television's Man of the Match award last Sunday, and doubtless he prefers to collect sponsor's champagne bottles in the wake of doubles and hat-tricks, thus enabling himself to measure them out in things which he is paid to produce.

Look on the bright side, though: it's a mark of how exceptional he was in that match, and exactly how much he put in. Strikers rarely get Man of the Match in games in which they didn't score. And it's even more unusual for them to get Man of the Match in 0-0 draws. (It's more likely to go to a goalkeeper or a defender in those circumstances - or even, if the game has really been a bad one, to the bloke who led the teams out in a padded suit.) Asked, on 'Match of the Day 2', who would score more goals this season, Torres or Wayne Rooney, Dion Dublin was enthused enough by what he had just seen to pick Torres, who didn't score on Sunday, over Rooney, who did.

Even after a barren afternoon there was ample evidence to support the rather exciting view that, whoever else joins between now and the end of August, a fully fit, happily settled and (above all) properly supplied Torres will turn out to be our best new signing of the summer.

http://www.chelseafc...2423937,00.html

Excellent writing from Pat Nevin as usual. I do enjoy reading his views on the website.

I like Pat for a few reasons:

1. Legend

2. Torres supporter when so many others were bashing him

3. Chelsea homer but still willing to criticize yet not be an ass about it

4. Sticks up for Chelsea when the other media, ie ex scouse, are ranting and raving

The best part was the relegation lines that were already being used. One game in. Ridiculous media.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/West-Brom-Chelsea-news-Roy-Hodgson-fears-former-Liverpool-colleague-Fernando-Torres-ahead-of-weekend-meeting-article787013.html

Hodgson dreading reunion with revitalised Torres

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson has backed Chelsea's £50million striker Fernando Torres to finally live up to his price tag this season - but hopes he does not show what he is capable of when the teams meet this weekend.

Hodgson worked with Torres during his ill-fated six-month stint in charge of Liverpool and, although the Spain marksman has struggled over the last year or so, the Baggies boss has no doubt he will come good.

"I am very glad for him that he appears to be showing some of his old form," Hodgson said ahead of Saturday evening's Barclays Premier League game at Stamford Bridge.

"Torres, in the form he is capable of showing, is capable of causing a lot of problems for my defence.

"But I am particularly pleased for him. I enjoyed my time working with him. It was not a good time for him. But these things happen at football clubs.

"I do not know what he would say, but so far as I am concerned I have a lot of time for him and a lot of respect for him.

"If he is now getting back to his top form for Chelsea, as I knew he would, then I am very pleased for him.

"He is a good fellow. A serious professional. I was unlucky that I caught him, and a few other players, on the back of a World Cup, and in his case an unsuccessful World Cup.

"Under me, he had serious injury problems. His wife was having a baby at the time as well, which was an important point in his life.

"If you take that very short period we worked together, there were things going on in his life which had little to do with football and which I could not control.

"I never doubted him as a person or as a player. It was bold of Chelsea to pay a big transfer fee for him when the consensus was that he wasn't at his best.

"But I always believed that it was a move which would pay dividends because he is a top-quality player - and I fear that I will see that at close hand on Saturday!"

He quipped: "I only hope that he takes pity on me and has a bad game out of sympathy with our plight!"

Really, Roy, your crap attempt to turn him into a slow moving target man wasn't really the best way to utilize Torres.

On the other hand, I'm very surprised by how Hodgson has been nothing but complimentary of Torres since leaving Liverpool. There were so many rumors of a rift between the two of them. Maximum respect to Hodgson as a gentleman even if I disagreed with his football at Liverpool.

I think it speaks to the professionalism of both Hodgson and Torres that Hodgson speaks well of Torres even after his abrupt departure. I think Torres even said positive things about Roy after he left Liverpool. Basically it wasn't all his (Roy's) fault.

I think Torres became a target man because Carragher was the man in charge at Liverpool and his idea of playing out the back was launching it at will. The media talk about the Chelsea dressing room. They ignore the influence of Carragher in the dressing room and on the pitch.

I think it speaks to the professionalism of both Hodgson and Torres that Hodgson speaks well of Torres even after his abrupt departure. I think Torres even said positive things about Roy after he left Liverpool. Basically it wasn't all his (Roy's) fault.

I think Torres became a target man because Carragher was the man in charge at Liverpool and his idea of playing out the back was launching it at will. The media talk about the Chelsea dressing room. They ignore the influence of Carragher in the dressing room and on the pitch.

Torres was very diplomatic by saying Hodgson was a great man but perhaps his footballing philosophy did not gel with Liverpool. Privately, I'm pretty sure Torres hated that brand of football. There's a funny story told by Balague about Hodgson's practices and Torres' reaction to them.

I hope LFC keeps starting Carragher for the next 5 years.

I loved when Carragher launched one of his infamous long balls toward Torres last season. Torres didn't make the run Carragher wanted, Carragher started yelling at Torres, Torres turned around and put his finger to his lips and shushed him. Thought Carragher was going to lose it. What a piece of work Carragher is.

dislike all Scumpool players ,,BUT Jamie deserves his legend status there, 100% effort and a genuine love of his club ...Poor misguided fool

I'm sorry but he's basically good for one career-ending tackle per week nowadays. I can't fathom why the FA allows him to get away with it.

I loved when Carragher launched one of his infamous long balls toward Torres last season. Torres didn't make the run Carragher wanted, Carragher started yelling at Torres, Torres turned around and put his finger to his lips and shushed him. Thought Carragher was going to lose it. What a piece of work Carragher is.

any video of that?