Fernando Torres

Sooner or later, we will have to come tot he reality that Torres won't return to his pre-knee injuries form.

..We can only hope we will see some form of goal threat appear.

The problem is, The Chelsea Board are not willing to accept this fact considering his hefty transfer value. . . if he was cheaply acquired, I can assure you, he would have been offloaded to some club in Kuala Lumpur by now. AVB will still be expected to play him and get the best out of the £50m investment to the detriment of other more deserving options on the bench. Next time we should evaluate carefully and exercise better judgment before we splash £50m on a player that hasn't shown any form to command 1/2 of his transfer fee 10 months prior.

The problem is, The Chelsea Board are not willing to accept this fact considering his hefty transfer value. . . if he was cheaply acquired, I can assure you, he would have been offloaded to some club in Kuala Lumpur by now. AVB will still be expected to play him and get the best out of the £50m investment to the detriment of other more deserving options. Next time we should evaluate carefully and exercise better judgment before we splash £50m on a player that hasn't shown any form to command 1/2 of his transfer fee 10 months prior.

Indeed.

The only silver lining here is, with Drogba sidelined indefinitely, Sturridge has a real chance to shine as a centre-forward. Should Villas-Boas be willing to take the gamble.

What if United fans wrote Rooney off when he went on a 8 month barren spell?

Swear if Torres turns his season around and ends up one of our best players there be some serious naming and shaming going on.

First off.

Rooney hasn't had any major surgeries in the last 18months that would have impacted his form or abilities. Secondly, Rooney had already been on sensational form before he went through that dip, so there was enough evidence to suggest he'd return to that.

The comparison between Rooney and Torres' form is thin. In fact, it's non-existent. They aren't comparable. Their situations are completely different.

First off.

Rooney hasn't had any major surgeries in the last 18months that would have impacted his form or abilities. Secondly, Rooney had already been on sensational form before he went through that dip, so there was enough evidence to suggest he'd return to that.

The comparison between Rooney and Torres' form is thin. In fact, it's non-existent. They aren't comparable. Their situations are completely different.

and what was needed to get Rooney back to his best? a overhead kick in the Manc derby, say Torres has a goal at the SOL that goes in off his backside then one minute later scores a screamer goes to the thearte of shit the week after scores the winner then we suddenly have a different and more confident proposition.

There's a thin line and it will only take one moment potentially to kick Fernando off.

Guest justin_3d

First off.

What about Berbatov?

United payed a lot for him, took him a long time to get used to the team and today, is warming the bench while some young hot shot has taken his place.....

and what was needed to get Rooney back to his best? a overhead kick in the Manc derby, say Torres has a goal at the SOL that goes in off his backside then one minute later scores a screamer goes to the thearte of shit the week after scores the winner then we suddenly have a different and more confident proposition.

There's a thin line and it will only take one moment potentially to kick Fernando off.

Agreed. I'm not saying he's finished as a striker and a goal threat. Because he's not. All I'm saying is, is that he won't be returning to that same Torres that made him the most feared striker in the world.

What about Berbatov?

United payed a lot for him, took him a long time to get used to the team and today, is warming the bench while some young hot shot has taken his place.....

Indeed. We may see the same with the rise of Sturridge, and if Sturridge will give us more goals then I don't care if £50million sits on the bench.

Hindsight being 20/20, Torres should have been introduced in much more mild manner. Starting against and losing to Liverpool as his first game really seems to have set the jinx in. Mancini did the right thing by subbing Aguero in an easy game against Swansea and AVB did the right thing today by doing the same for Mata.

It has indeed been very frustrating. I can only imagine how he feels. At this point what is there to do but to give him some time with Mata and potentially Modric or some other new midfielder. Hopefully he will come around. I dread to think of the alternative.

Is it possible for AVB to invite Marco Van Basten to come in and have a chat with Torres? He just seems to be very out of sorts in and around goal and I don't think it's about the much discussed loss of pace.

Feel tremendously sorry for Torres but sport is a fast-moving and unforgiving environment, particularly with today’s media saturation, which allows self-deluding idiots like Joey Barton to be lionised for their exploits on twitter, and is full of lazy journalism where opinion counts for more than actual analysis. When he was at Liverpool he often seemed to be on the periphery of games but always scored, while at Chelsea he rarely looks like scoring and it’s painful to watch for anyone that remembers him at his best. It’s important that Chelsea don’t let this campaign be dominated by his struggles. Fortunately (unlike Carlo), AVB doesn’t seem the kind of manager who is willing to use a player as a buffer to mask his own shortcomings. In many ways these are exciting times, with the arrival of Mata and the emergence of young players with great potential . People have got to hold onto that and maybe, with the temporary absence of Drogba and a more creative force in the team, Torres' contribution will start to justify the fee that still seems to be such a weight on his shoulders.

We don't need any more proof that the Torres-Drogba experiment doesn't work. Whether in a more conventional 4-4-2 or as a diamond midfield. And it's apparent why. The squad is so attuned to Drogba's strengths that even when both of them are on the pitch together the rest of them play as they would if Drogba was the lone striker. Now that Mata has arrived and another technical forward player likely to arrive (whether that is a winger or someone like Modric) we will see a shift towards a more inventive, quick passing game that is suited to our new acquisitions.

Agreed, we now know it must be either/or.

Guest justin_3d

Agreed. I'm not saying he's finished as a striker and a goal threat. Because he's not. All I'm saying is, is that he won't be returning to that same Torres that made him the most feared striker in the world.

Indeed. We may see the same with the rise of Sturridge, and if Sturridge will give us more goals then I don't care if £50million sits on the bench.

The thing i will say is what i been saying over and over again. Attitude!

Torres attitude is like Berbatov. They are great player, but they are like whatever attitude....

While Sturridge and Hernandez have a totally different attitude. And this attitude helps them a bit.

Whether we like to admit it or not, Torres has become a major liability to the club.

Yep. For two reasons. First off, since we bought him he was quite poor most of the time. The second reason is that even he seems to have a decent form (against Stoke and WBA), he is useless because nobody give hil the ball.

TBH right now Sturridge deserves to play as the CF more than either Torres or Drogba. It's just not working for Torres and Drogba has been atrocious and doesn't give a fuck anymore.

You took the words right off of my mouth. We should by a f*ucking right winger and play Danni as a CF. We can't waste him on the wing while our other CF are so poor.