Sunderland v Chelsea

Jase

Think I would be happy as long as United don't win but the best possible result for us is probably a draw. Will be 8 points behind United and 5 behind City. Closer to second then as opposed to City winning and then staying 7 clear of us.

Having said that, right now think I'm more worried what are the teams below us are gonna do. West Brom and Spurs are on level points with us while the likes of Everton and Arsenal are not too far behind. Forget the title race at the moment, we need the points mainly to stay in the Top 3/4 and pull clear of the others.

We play Sunderland(A), Soton(H), Villa(H) in our next 3 fixtures.

Spurs play Everton(A), Swansea(H), Stoke(H)

West Brom play Arsenal(A), West Ham(H),Norwich(H)

Everton play Spurs(H), Stoke(A), West ham(A).

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We play Sunderland(A), Soton(H), Villa(H) in our next 3 fixtures.

Spurs play Everton(A), Swansea(H), Stoke(H)

West Brom play Arsenal(A), West Ham(H),Norwich(H)

Everton play Spurs(H), Stoke(A), West ham(A).

Our home game against Southampton has been postponed due to our involvement in the CWC.

On paper, we have games coming up that we should win and so should the other teams but given the unpredictability of the results these days, we could easily drop points in those games as well. Remember, what happened against Villa at the Bridge last season? After the game, we have Norwich and Everton both away during the Christmas period. Norwich are in good form now(unbeaten in 8 - W4 D4) and Goodison is generally bad place for us where we never seem to win.

Our home game against Southampton has been postponed due to our involvement in the CWC.

On paper, we have games coming up that we should win and so should the other teams but given the unpredictability of the results these days, we could easily drop points in those games as well. Remember, what happened against Villa at the Bridge last season? After the game, we have Norwich and Everton both away during the Christmas period. Norwich are in good form now(unbeaten in 8 - W4 D4) and Goodison is generally bad place for us where we never seem to win.

. Even Villa, Norwich etc seem to be tough games now

. Even Villa, Norwich etc seem to be tough games now

Precisely my point earlier. Let's just focus on getting the 3 points and staying in the Top 3 for now, ignoring what happen with the 2 Manchester clubs above us. If we can do that, then we'll see where we are come next January or February and re-evaluate our targets/priorities then. Do not want what happened last season in the league to happen again.

Well, i was just thinking about the Manchester derby. What would suit us more(Considering we win first). A city win and we will be 7 points behind the leaders. A Utd win and we will be 4 points behind 2nd place. What could be more tempting in the long run?

I'll be hoping for a Man City win.

I honestly think the league is beyond us and that we should focus just on a top four finish. In that case, we then need to look at who we want to win the league and that for me is all about who will be in charge next season.

If CIty don't win the league, Mancini is probably gone. That increases competition for either Pep or Jose. If United win the league, Fergie coud very well retire 'on top'. That's another hat in the ring for a top coach.

If City do win the league then Mancini should stick around (for one more go at the CL) and Fergie will hopefully want to try and win the league at least one more time. That is the best situation for us.

Plus lets not forget that United fans are twats. :wank2:

Here's my lineup:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=ty2g

<iframe width="350" height="448" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://lineupbuilder.com/lineup/?p=11&a=1&t=Chelsea%20lineup%20v%20Sunderland%208/12/12%2015%3A00%20GMT&c=1733eb&1=GK_Cech__388_175&2=DL_Cole__303_61&3=DC_Cahill__327_131&4=DCR_Luiz__327_215&5=DR_Ivanovic__303_287&6=MCL_Oscar__223_137&7=MCR_Mikel__223_215&8=AL_Marin__158_78&9=AC_Mata__153_175&10=AR_Moses__158_273&11=FC_Torres__77_175&output=embed"></iframe>

Marin should get a start before the CWC as we might need him there and he'll be essential later so he needs match practice. We need Iva and Cole so they defend well down the flanks as its their own threat and I pick Azpi over Iva because Gardener and Larsson r no good in set pieces so we need a lot of ppl who will pounce on the loose balls.

I'm going for Oscar because if we want to be a very good attacking side then Oscar in our future will be a DM due to his passing vision. He plays a similar role for Brazil and his work rate's gr8 so against a defensive team like Sunderland it will be good and Sunderland r bound to defend deep against us and we need an extra creative player to break them down.

If they do try to push up the pitch they leave loads of space for the DMs. Allen and Arteta got over a 100 passes versus them so we need a guy like Oscar there. That's what I think.... Love to hear your response. :D

Here's my lineup:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=ty2g

<iframe width="350" height="448" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://lineupbuilder.com/lineup/?p=11&a=1&t=Chelsea%20lineup%20v%20Sunderland%208/12/12%2015%3A00%20GMT&c=1733eb&1=GK_Cech__388_175&2=DL_Cole__303_61&3=DC_Cahill__327_131&4=DCR_Luiz__327_215&5=DR_Ivanovic__303_287&6=MCL_Oscar__223_137&7=MCR_Mikel__223_215&8=AL_Marin__158_78&9=AC_Mata__153_175&10=AR_Moses__158_273&11=FC_Torres__77_175&output=embed"></iframe>

Marin should get a start before the CWC as we might need him there and he'll be essential later so he needs match practice. We need Iva and Cole so they defend well down the flanks as its their own threat and I pick Azpi over Iva because Gardener and Larsson r no good in set pieces so we need a lot of ppl who will pounce on the loose balls.

I'm going for Oscar because if we want to be a very good attacking side then Oscar in our future will be a DM due to his passing vision. He plays a similar role for Brazil and his work rate's gr8 so against a defensive team like Sunderland it will be good and Sunderland r bound to defend deep against us and we need an extra creative player to break them down.

If they do try to push up the pitch they leave loads of space for the DMs. Allen and Arteta got over a 100 passes versus them so we need a guy like Oscar there. That's what I think.... Love to hear your response. :D

Why doesn't my code work?????

Rafael Benitez will be hopeful of inspiring his Chelsea side to an important three points when we face Sunderland at the Stadium of Light, before we jet off to Japan for the FIFA World Club Cup.

John Terry, who hasn't featured since being stretchered off in the home draw against Liverpool, will remain in England in a bid to regain full fitness, but the manager is able to call on the services of another key player.

On squad news

Having been without Terry, Frank Lampard and Daniel Sturridge in recent weeks, Benitez is delighted to be able to welcome back one of the trio for tomorrow's game, and he hopes the other two will be back sooner rather than later.

'Terry will not fly to Japan because the doctor has warned of an inflammation and said that flying is not the best idea, so he will stay here and obviously miss the Sunderland game as well,' said Benitez.

'The first conversation I had with him, he was quite excited because it's a new competition and a great opportunity.

'But after we spoke with the doctor it was decided that he would stay here. He wanted to go, he wanted to help, but it's better that he stays here.

'He's training very hard with the physios, but the knee is a special case, we'll have to see what happens.'

On a more positive note, meanwhile, Benitez stated that Lampard will be part of the squad for tomorrow's game having not played since our away defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk in October.

'Lampard has been training today, he's in the squad for Sunderland and if everything is fine he will come to Japan,' explained Benitez. 'At least we have one important player back because we need character and experience.

'If you have to play him because something's wrong, he can make a difference. If you play him when everything is fine, he can also have an impact, so all of these players with quality and experience are welcome.

'He is a quality player; he scores goals, understands the game and is a good passer of the ball.'

Tomorrow's game comes too soon for Sturridge, but there is still a possibility he could fly out to Japan and join up with the rest of the squad.

'Sturridge has been training but it's too early for him, so he will not travel to Sunderland,' said the Spaniard. 'We will see if he can fly with us to Japan at a later date.'

On facing Sunderland

Tomorrow's game is a must-win given our recent league form, particularly if we are to stand any chance of applying pressure on the two Manchester clubs, who face each other on Sunday.

Our last victory in the league came against Tottenham Hotspur back in October, and Benitez is well aware of the need to put that right.

'We have to beat Sunderland, and if we can we'll be closer to at least one of the leaders,' he explained. 'My job is to concentrate on my team and if we can be closer sooner rather than later that would be good. We have a chance as long as we start winning games.

'The last game was very good, you can talk about the level of the other team but it was the Champions League and the level and intensity was fantastic. I watched it again and I was very pleased with the performance. Even at 75 minutes and 85 minutes we were still pushing.'

On John Mikel Obi's ban

Mikel begins a three-match domestic ban, which will see him miss tomorrow's game as well as the matches against Leeds United and Aston Villa.

Benitez, though, while disappointed to lose the Nigerian, is now eager to put the whole episode behind us.

'We were expecting something similar, he has accepted the charge and now we need to move forward,' said the Blues boss.

'It's a bit of a problem for us, but we were more or less aware that this could happen.'

http://www.chelseafc...one-in,-two-out