Chelsea 0-0 Man City

Jase

Man of the Match  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Think @seb is right - we normally disagree, but cannot fault his logic here...

We have a really bad attacking shape - all our players converge, narrowing the game and playing through the middle - we also look very STATIC - we need more shape and player runs off the ball, to pull defenders around and open up space.

I think we are REALLY easy to defend against at the moment, we need to improve this, but as RB has only had 3 sessions, he focused on Defence - which was great, if he can bring the same organisation to our attacking play, then we really are in a good place...

I also hope he expirements with the formation a bit - (4-2-3-1) doesn't always appear to work properly with the players we currently have... he could try 442/352 etc - obviously when Sturridge is fit again...

Torres + Trio are guilty of dropping too deep, Torres should be on the shoulder of the last defender at ALL times - this normally forces the opposition to play 2 defenders next to Torres -which then automatically opens up space and stops those defenders joining in the attacking play.

Torres / or the Striker - really is the KEY piece on the pitch - get a good striker with great movement and they open up space all over the attacking third....

What do you mean by 'defence' ? The 4 defenders or the collective process to defend ? He worked on the collective process by asking Mata/Hazard to adopt better positioning, be closer to their full backs (what I highlighted in my article, see the MHS section).

Cole, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic and Luiz had a decent game but that's mostly due to them not being overexposed

4-4-2, 4-3-3 are relying on us signing squad players in January. Torres is in Drogba's situation in 2010/2011: out of form but still forced to play every game upfront in 4-3-3, not even speaking about 4-4-2. We have to sign a central midfielder and a striker in cover, I don't like asking that as if we were sitting in a Café but we really need those two more options.

Torres drops because he hardly touches the ball. We can blame a striker to do so when he gets sufficient service and doesn't act as the focal point for his team. That's symptomatic of a sitation when the striker feels he can't have the ball by staying upfront. Sometimes he doesn't makes the right call, but people are really making a meal of it considering that I think Macazar's lack of availability is the main issue

The 3 line is somewhere between Mikel/Ramires and Torres when the defenders/midfielders have the ball, sometimes they're hidden behind defenders, sometimes they're rooted. Torres already fixes defenders, that's easier to bash him for his poor form than noticing that he's man marked since he came at Chelsea at the start of attacking sequences (wasn't always at Liverpool). Until a certain extent, that contributes to leave some space for the players behind. Who're guilty most of the time not to use that space properly.

When Torres is the central focal point, we don't use flanks to overlap, attackers prefer funnel their attacks through the middle of the field. And when Torres runs down the flank, no one cuts at the penalty spot from the other side

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean by 'defence' ? The 4 defenders or the collective process to defend ? He worked on the collective process by asking Mata/Hazard to adopt better positioning, be closer to their full backs (what I highlighted in my article, see the MHS section).

Cole, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic and Luiz had a decent game but that's mostly due to them not being overexposed

4-4-2, 4-3-3 are relying on us signing squad players in January. Torres is in Drogba's situation in 2010/2011: out of form but still forced to play every game upfront in 4-3-3, not even speaking about 4-4-2. We have to sign a central midfielder and a striker in cover, I don't like asking that as if we were sitting in a Café but we really need those two more options.

Torres drops because he hardly touches the ball. We can blame a striker to do so when he gets sufficient service and doesn't act as the focal point for his team. That's symptomatic of a sitation when the striker feels he can't have the ball by staying upfront. Sometimes he doesn't makes the right call, but people are really making a meal of it considering that I think Macazar's lack of availability is the main issue

The 3 line is somewhere between Mikel/Ramires and Torres when the defenders/midfielders have the ball, sometimes they're hidden behind defenders, sometimes they're rooted. Torres already fixes defenders, that's easier to bash him for his poor form than noticing that he's man marked since he came at Chelsea at the start of attacking sequences (wasn't always at Liverpool). Until a certain extent, that contributes to leave some space for the players behind. Who're guilty most of the time not to use that space properly.

When Torres is the central focal point, we don't use flanks to overlap, attackers prefer funnel their attacks through the middle of the field. And when Torres runs down the flank, no one cuts at the penalty spot from the other side

For me 'defence' means the 'collective' effort of the team - as referenced by the shape and personnel...

I know we suffered by dropping the players deeper - but I'm confident once the players understand how to defend properly, they can move as a fluid unit, transitioning from defence to attack. I hate to say it but Man Utd are probably the best at this in the league at present, and over the past few seasons... They always manage to attack as a fluid unit, and have people hitting front post, rear post and edge of box (a la Lampard for us)...

I agree that our 3 midfielders don't get into the box when Torres runs the channels - it's really frustrating to watch. That's why I'd like to see Marin given a game - I think he could really do a job getting behind the full back of the opposition... Hazard did this at the start, but has regressed somewhat - maybe a lack of confidence?

hmm - would you purchase players, or just take it on the chin? Considering we have some good players out on Loan? That if were not loaned could do a job? (Essien/Josh/KDB)

Definitely agree on the Striker...

I know Torres gets abused - and often it's me - but think he really needs to play on the shoulder of the last defender - he's too easy to play against when coming deep - he should always be the spearhead, with (like you say) the midfield trio attempting to get past him - for an easy ball, and then he should burst into the box for the return... I just don't get that sense of urgency from him?

Hopefully we can have a mini-revolution Tomorrow night and really string our Defence+Attack play together... will be interesting to see what RB can do on our overall shape when transitioning from Defence to Attack...

Think @seb is right - we normally disagree, but cannot fault his logic here...

We have a really bad attacking shape - all our players converge, narrowing the game and playing through the middle - we also look very STATIC - we need more shape and player runs off the ball, to pull defenders around and open up space.

I think we are REALLY easy to defend against at the moment, we need to improve this, but as RB has only had 3 sessions, he focused on Defence - which was great, if he can bring the same organisation to our attacking play, then we really are in a good place...

I also hope he expirements with the formation a bit - (4-2-3-1) doesn't always appear to work properly with the players we currently have... he could try 442/352 etc - obviously when Sturridge is fit again...

Torres + Trio are guilty of dropping too deep, Torres should be on the shoulder of the last defender at ALL times - this normally forces the opposition to play 2 defenders next to Torres -which then automatically opens up space and stops those defenders joining in the attacking play.

Torres / or the Striker - really is the KEY piece on the pitch - get a good striker with great movement and they open up space all over the attacking third....

(I MISSED THE LAST 40 MINS :( )

Regarding your comments I agree. We need a good striker and currently Torres had some impressive signs v Man C yet really wasn't impressive physically. He should have been cleverer if he knew he couldn't beat Kompany/Nastasic physically he should have went to the full backs and looked to get the ball lobbed to them there and from then look to play the ball in to the City's penalty area.

Every team has a successful striker a guy who does well. Long was amazing against us we were guilty of giving him too much space in the middle but he was clever he drifted wide at the right moments something Torres was good at in his Anfield days. If we want to play such a system than we definitely need Falcao. He's just like a bomb waiting to explode he picks his moments perfectly. One moment you've got him next moment he's goalside.

We have to make goalside runs as earlier in the season whenever we got the ball we were throwing men forward. Ivanovic was making his wild runs. Mata, Hazard and Oscar were rampaging all over the defences. Torres wasn't too bad v Arsenal and Spurs. These goalside runs were Juve's key to beating us too in that embarrassing night in Turin.

Benitez though did the right thing as he didn't have much time and not leaking a goal was essential.

We were a bit unlucky about the fact that Kompany came back just in time and we didn't have Lampard or Terry.

It was important to bring back defensive stability because with the quality front 3 we possess we will definitely manage to make ourselves an attacking threat. Also defensive slip ups could result in goals. So after that performance hopefully not much to worry about as in terms of attack I believe we can pull ourselves back up.

Didn't manage to watch the game so I've just seen the replay. This has been going through my head while watching it.

1. Really hope Benitez finds the right balance between defence and attack asap. Like tomorrow.

2. City players easily outmuscled our players in a 50-50 context. City are like the Chelsea of old. Remember how we used to bully and outmuscle other teams and had the steel and power. Certain Essien was like their Yaya Toure. Now all we seem to have are short, lightweight players who sometimes can't win the ball and just fall.

3. If we have to play with these short technical players how can we do it with the pivot we currently have? We need technically sound players in the pivot who can keep possesion under pressure and pick out the right passes. We don't nee both, the energy of Ramires and slow and short passing from Mikel in the pivot . The problem with Mikel is that he has very little long, diagonal forward passing ability. Ramirez is not famous for his passing abilities either. Our pivot can't find front three with quick one touch passes or defense splitting passes and that slows down our attack. We can't get at teams while they are out of shape. Until we get a better quality passer or two in the pivot we might be ,not so likeable, old Chelsea who take a year to get to the opposition's 18 yard box, despite our maestros

On the other side, how easily Man City, (Shaktar, Juventus etc.) were able to get close to our 18 yard box like whenever they wanted to.

Better pivot is as vital as new striker in January, if we want good results against stronger teams, and if we don't hope for wins like against Spurs and Arsenal where their players were scoring for us.

Striker and quality CM pretty please.

City players easily outmuscled our players in a 50-50 context. City are like the Chelsea of old. Remember how we used to bully and outmuscle other teams and had the steel and power. Certain Essien was like their Yaya Toure. Now all we seem to have are short, lightweight players who sometimes can't win the ball and just fall.

Well that'e when you get when you aim to play like Barcelona ( :mouthclosed: ) Remember when we had Ballack and Essien in midfield? We owned midfield back then.

Well that'e when you get when you aim to play like Barcelona ( :mouthclosed: ) Remember when we had Ballack and Essien in midfield? We owned midfield back then.

Well i personally don't believe that, i don't think we want to play like Barcelona. The media goes with the narrative "Roman wants to play like Barcelona" because it is simplistic and sensational.

Do we aim to play attacking football and take the initiatives in games? i believe so, but Barcelona is not the only model and i personally reserve the idea that is almost impossible to duplicate their style if our aim continues to be short term.

At times like this, you do miss the sides of Mourinho when he was here. Unfortunately, Roman wants us to the tiki-taka style of football.

Well i personally don't believe that, i don't think we want to play like Barcelona. The media goes with the narrative "Roman wants to play like Barcelona" because it is simplistic and sensational.

Do we aim to play attacking football and take the initiatives in games? i believe so, but Barcelona is not the only model and i personally reserve the idea that is almost impossible to duplicate their style if our aim continues to be short term.

I don't really know what Roman wants. He wants an attacking style that is our own with a manager who has to implement this style almost immediately with the players Roman decided to buy and don't really fit together. Very few teams play consistently attacking football in one particular style. The teams that are able to do this (Barca, Dortmund) have long-term managers, and strong youth systems that produce players who have played together for years.. You can't have the consistent attacking style and also be the team that buys all its players and fires its managers at the drop of the hat.

Despite many of the negative reflections of Torres's performance, I actually think that it was one of his better games. He showed a lot of hunger. Straight after the kick off he sprinted forward to get into a position. He contested headers the whole game, battling with Kompany which isn't an easy thing to do. All game he was chasing the ball down and trying to create chances. I'm not a torres fan boy, but when a player shows the hunger like he did i have to give them some credit. I mean, he was isolated most of the game and whenever he managed to get the ball he was pretty much facing their whole back line. I'm not saying he was technically good, in fact his touch and decision making is still truly awful, but at least he showed some hunger which is probably due to the Benitez factor.

I think our problem was in the midfield. We were seriously out muscled, particularly in the first half. We really need a solid passer playing deep so we can move forward with pace. Mikel, while strong and good defensively, can't pass for shit, same goes for ramires. Playing short balls to our maestro's in our own half meant that Kompany, Toure etc were able to clean up with ease. Our midfield really needs a Modric or Alonso type player to control the play from deep. Romeu? Perhaps.. I think Benitez will know this and look to sort it out A.S.A.P.

Honestly, if Man City were on their game they probably would have put 2 or 3 up on us in the first half alone. Luckily they were terrible but we won't always be so fortunate.

He needs to stop pulling players shirts in the box though.

All defenders do this, people are just bringing it up because the analysis team couldn't really find their usual "lets criticise Luiz" stuff so they brought up that incident like Luiz is the only one that does it.

All defenders do this, people are just bringing it up because the analysis team couldn't really find their usual "lets criticise Luiz" stuff so they brought up that incident like Luiz is the only one that does it.

Shit happened with Terry at Barcelona. From the same pundits who praised Vidic from being the best defender in the world

Not even an opinion on that, that's part of the game, that's not fucking ballet dance

I don't really know what Roman wants. He wants an attacking style that is our own with a manager who has to implement this style almost immediately with the players Roman decided to buy and don't really fit together. Very few teams play consistently attacking football in one particular style. The teams that are able to do this (Barca, Dortmund) have long-term managers, and strong youth systems that produce players who have played together for years.. You can't have the consistent attacking style and also be the team that buys all its players and fires its managers at the drop of the hat.

Carlo had got the right balance of attack and defense in 09-10...never really replicated since

Carlo had got the right balance of attack and defense in 09-10...never really replicated since

Maybe that will be time to recall that Malouda wasn't actually that bad, not just attacking but defending, pressing and using the space wisely. And ever since.

Someone spoke about MU's organization, I think that was Muzchap. I really do rate players such as Valencia (and even Young, he's annoying as fuck when he dives but he's aware tactically and defends quite well) that prove to be genuine attacking threat while being versatile in terms of system played, animation chosen. They'll never let their full back down.

Benitez got nail on the head, he doesn't expect Mata/Hazard to defend like Cole/Azpi but just help them whilst focusing on attacks. I don't hold Benitez into my heart but I'm forced to admit that everything he said so far about tactics, organization is wise and fully shares my view on those aspects.

Maybe that will be time to recall that Malouda wasn't actually that bad, not just attacking but defending, pressing and using the space wisely. And ever since.

Someone spoke about MU's organization, I think that was Muzchap. I really do rate players such as Valencia (and even Young, he's annoying as fuck when he dives but he's aware tactically and defends quite well) that prove to be genuine attacking threat while being versatile in terms of system played, animation chosen. They'll never let their full back down.

Benitez got nail on the head, he doesn't expect Mata/Hazard to defend like Cole/Azpi but just help them whilst focusing on attacks. I don't hold Benitez into my heart but I'm forced to admit that everything he said so far about tactics, organization is wise and fully shares my view on those aspects.

100% Agree.

I don't mind Valencia, hate Young...

But Fergie has this Midas touch with balancing and shape, or his coaches and assistants do.

I agree on RB - don't love the guy, but he has spoken sense and I can see why Lpool fans rate him.

I also think people saying he destroyed Lpool is unfair, it was a boardroom imploding that caused that - luckily we don't have that situation so hoping he can succeed!!! :)

Roll on tomorrow ;)