Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

On 18 October 2015 at 0:06 AM, Special Juan said:

Azpilcueta. Brilliant in the media, passionate on the pitch and an absolute tremendous footballer.

Azpilicueta lacks leadership qualities. Though a great defender but he lacks the quality to make others work, raise their spirits etc. Zouma is just too young . For me it should be Cahill

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, cfcs most wanted said:

Azpilicueta lacks leadership qualities. Though a great defender but he lacks the quality to make others work, raise their spirits etc. Zouma is just too young . For me it should be Cahill

Cahill shoudn't be starting next season.

Danny Murphy makes prediction about next Chelsea captain

http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2016/02/danny-murphy-makes-prediction-about-next-chelsea-captain/?

Danny Murphy questions whether Branislav Ivanovic would be the right choice to become next Chelsea captain

10 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

40 votes for Cesc. Are people blind or just naive that he can succesfully lead us as captain? 

Don't think it's outrageous at all. You often see him displaying leadership qualities in the pitch. Clapping on teammates and encouraging them. Telling players where to be in certain situations. Since José left he's been leading with his play as well. Ideally you want your captain to be the heartbeat of the team in the middle of the park which he is.

If JT does indeed leave I wouldn't be against Cesc as captain at all. If Ivanovic is the choice then he's 100% nailed on to start every match which we cannot afford to have. Cesc is really the only alternative. 

7 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Don't think it's outrageous at all. You often see him displaying leadership qualities in the pitch. Clapping on teammates and encouraging them. Telling players where to be in certain situations. Since José left he's been leading with his play as well. Ideally you want your captain to be the heartbeat of the team in the middle of the park which he is.

If JT does indeed leave I wouldn't be against Cesc as captain at all. If Ivanovic is the choice then he's 100% nailed on to start every match which we cannot afford to have. Cesc is really the only alternative. 

Yeah thats more due to fact that we dont have any other good leaders as alternatives not that Cesc is actualy a good leader. Which is quite sad realy after seeing we had Terry, Lamps, Ballack, Cech at same time. 

Just because Cesc can talk on pitch and organize should that make him leader? To be leader you need to put club before yourself. Sacrifice yourself. Have history with club. 

Every time when we are  losing and then I see Cesc just wank around the pitch like he couldnt give two fucks says enough that he is not a leader and even less a captain. Not that others are more suitable either but Cesc is no captain to start with. Would rather see Cahill or Azpi right now.

9 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Yeah thats more due to fact that we dont have any other good leaders as alternatives not that Cesc is actualy a good leader. Which is quite sad realy after seeing we had Terry, Lamps, Ballack, Cech at same time. 

Just because Cesc can talk on pitch and organize should that make him leader? To be leader you need to put club before yourself. Sacrifice yourself. Have history with club. 

Every time when we are  losing and then I see Cesc just wank around the pitch like he couldnt give two fucks says enough that he is not a leader and even less a captain. Not that others are more suitable either but Cesc is no captain to start with. Would rather see Cahill or Azpi right now.

I guess I just don't think it's a huge deal. Are we better or worse as a team if Cesc is the captain? Don't think so. Are better or worse if Ivanovic is next season? Well, yes, because that means he'd still be starting every match. Same with Cahill. If he's playing every match next season we'll be hamstringing ourselves. No to him as well for me.

Azpi doesn't strike me as captain material at all.

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I guess I just don't think it's a huge deal. Are we better or worse as a team if Cesc is the captain? Don't think so. Are better or worse if Ivanovic is next season? Well, yes, because that means he'd still be starting every match. Same with Cahill. If he's playing every match next season we'll be hamstringing ourselves. No to him as well for me.

Azpi doesn't strike me as captain material at all.

True but I dont see Cesc to be here for longer time. He is not dynamic enough for either CM or CAM. 

• 6 months later...

So with two defenders recruited it looks a tad more likely that Iva and JT could both be on the bench at some point, was just wondering who would be considered as a captain by Conte then. 

Fabregas obviously isn't a starter for him, Cahill isn't assured to be a starter either when Zouma gets back. 

Thus I'm really considering Hazard as a good choice, he is obviously Belgium captain at the moment so he's getting more and more responsibility on his shoulders, at the moment he also looks to be more serious and focused than ever, think it would really benefit him to show him his true value and importance to the team, he could easily gain huge additional confidence in such case. 

5 minutes ago, Adnane said:

So with two defenders recruited it looks a tad more likely that Iva and JT could both be on the bench at some point, was just wondering who would be considered as a captain by Conte then. 

Fabregas obviously isn't a starter for him, Cahill isn't assured to be a starter either when Zouma gets back. 

Thus I'm really considering Hazard as a good choice, he is obviously Belgium captain at the moment so he's getting more and more responsibility on his shoulders, at the moment he also looks to be more serious and focused than ever, think it would really benefit him to show him his true value and importance to the team, he could easily gain huge additional confidence in such case. 

Hazard is obviously a great player but he just doesn't have leader's attributes that captain needs to have.

Hazard no way. Like he said  "I'm not a natural leader, but I learn". That's maybe okay in national team but i don't want see Eden as Captain at Chelsea.
Switch from Terry to Hazard, that's really hurt in term of leadership. In beligum it's the same, switch from Kompany to Hazard is a big gap to lead a team.

And if Eden made an incredible season, no doubt it will be his last with us.

it's not a big secret he would like to join Madrid, but want finish "like a boss". Next season will be probably (and unfortunately) the best moment for him to leave.

I think Azpi is a good choice, a mature player, who works  hard for the team and could finish his carrer at Chelsea.

On 23 February 2016 at 4:15 PM, BlueLyon said:

40 votes for Cesc. Are people blind or just naive that he can succesfully lead us as captain? 

In my opinion, and as far as I can judge from interviews and other public interactions, Cesc is the classiest individual in our squad. He has integrity, bravery, discretion and intelligence. These don't necessarily add up to a leader, but they are great ingredients all the same.

The big problem of course is that it's hard to see Cesc winning a place in the team. In fact it's easier to see him leaving during the next 12 months than it is to imagine him being installed as captain. If our votes mattered at all, Cesc would have mine but he isn't going to get the job.

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

In my opinion, and as far as I can judge from interviews and other public interactions, Cesc is the classiest individual in our squad. He has integrity, bravery, discretion and intelligence. These don't necessarily add up to a leader, but they are great ingredients all the same.

The big problem of course is that it's hard to see Cesc winning a place in the team. In fact it's easier to see him leaving during the next 12 months than it is to imagine him being installed as captain. If our votes mattered at all, Cesc would have mine but he isn't going to get the job.

He is not a leader. Simple as that. When we were playing PSG, all was there to see. Completely invisible. Even Ivanovic shown more desire, passion, drive, leadership than Cesc. And to me, it all starts with that. I dont care how he looks and acts in interviews, I really dont. All that matters is on the pitch. And I dont see him as someone who the whole team would follow. Starting with his play style, how quickly he loses the ball which makes him undependable. And then his mentality. In big games, I have not seen him boss the game. And that is what captains do. Rooney is not captain material either, but he is ''legend''. I dont want Cesc to be one for same reasons, because when the shit gets real, he is one of those that you simply cant depend to lead the line, motivate others.

I guess afrer all these years of JT, my expectations are too high, he was best possible captain there is, but I would not give Cesc captain band. Just my thoughts. This will be bold, but if I got guarantee that Ivanovic will remain starter for next few years (not that I want that, but if that happened), I would give band to him sooner than to Cesc. Why? Obviously not because of his skill, because he is one of the liabilities out there. But he has confidence, he has drive and passion. In all these years he was with us he was almost never injured and gave absolutely 110% in games. You cant take away his mistakes, but for someone like him, he is still a damn great character to have when you play decisive games. Cesc on other hand has all the technical skill in the world, yet all that goes away when he gets pressed. How can you trust such man, if he doesnt have belief in himself.

Bottom line, Cesc is professional. Clear as day, since he went from Arsenal to Chelsea. To be true captain and leader, it takes something more. He was their captain and yet made the move. IMO that is not the right character, professional or not, you just cant depend on such person.

The real sad thing however, is that we dont have an out and out player in our team to tick all marks. Not a single one.