Oscar

themightyblue

I think him and Hazard can form an excellent duo.

Since the match against Shaktar where the only threat were coming when they were working together (in a poor organisation), I always thought with a pre-season and good organisation, they could form a very lethal duo.

lol, how many #9 have defensive responsibilities? Ronaldo is actually pretty helpful defensively. If we want our #10 to split his attention 50/50 then we might as well play 433. Just like I don't want my striker being too busy to score, I don't want my #10 being focused on playing defense. Mata controlled the game like crazy when he came on.

I'm not comparing mata's vision to oscar. Mata is a master in that area.

What I'm saying is that if you play football, you will understand that putting your energy doing defensive work can make your attacking capabilities reduce.

And now in football even attackers are required to put in some defensive work, manzuckic replacing gomez because of this was a perfect example.

Brazil won't be able to defeat spain if BOTH the striker and AM decide to forget defensive duties and relax when their not in possesion.

I remember a lot of people complaining how mancity bullied us through th middle and it was looking like a 3 vs 2 midfield. Well most times against bigger teams with good midfield,( juve, mancity) a very hard working person in the center might prevent us from conceding more goals.

Why must we criticise players. Oscar did not look fit enough for me but almost had 2 goals mata had a better understanding with the players because he played No. 10 last season hence better possession. Let's not forget mourinho doesn't exactly play possession football so i still think oscar is being prepared as the no. 10 when we want to be direct which suits mourinho's style and mata the no. 10 when we want a more possession based game. Its good to have such great players capable of playing no. 10 I like both very much.

Actually in modern football, no 9 has defensive responsibility. He need to be able to pressure opp cb or drop off depending on the instruction.

Btw Ronaldo is atrocious defensively, all team that face Real, always attack his side.

There is a time when having a no 10 that is good defensively is important. Playing against Juventus is a very good example. Oscar was brilliant last year in term of "shutting down" Pirlo. I really doubt mata can do the job as good as oscar.

Thats because thats where the space is, Ronaldo's so far up and doesn't come back so there is a massive gap between himself and Marcelo/Coentrao which forces the number 10 player (Ozil, who has atrocious defensive work rate too) or a central midfielder (Modric/Alonso) to come across and cover the fullback which ends up in more spaces for the opposition to expose.

Thats what happened with our pivot at times too, ultimately Hazard or Mata wouldn't come back, means Lampard/Mikel/whoever had to come out to the player exposing spaces and leaving a 2 v 1 in midfield.

Why must we criticise players. Oscar did not look fit enough for me but almost had 2 goals mata had a better understanding with the players because he played No. 10 last season hence better possession. Let's not forget mourinho doesn't exactly play possession football so i still think oscar is being prepared as the no. 10 when we want to be direct which suits mourinho's style and mata the no. 10 when we want a more possession based game. Its good to have such great players capable of playing no. 10 I like both very much.

Exactly what I'm thinking ..

Actually in modern football, no 9 has defensive responsibility. He need to be able to pressure opp cb or drop off depending on the instruction.

Btw Ronaldo is atrocious defensively, all team that face Real, always attack his side.

There is a time when having a no 10 that is good defensively is important. Playing against Juventus is a very good example. Oscar was brilliant last year in term of "shutting down" Pirlo. I really doubt mata can do the job as good as oscar.

but your ignoring the main duty of a #10.

Ive made the same point in another thread ,, STOP bashing our players ,,, IF they arent good enough its Jose's job to get rid of them ,,

UNTIL he does BACK them

Well, as obvious as it is by my avatar, i really like Oscar, but i always tought that he had the problem of disapearing in the middle of games... I follow him since by his times of São Paulo, at the moment i believed that he had that trouble for being a player that just came out of the youth squad, that here in Brazil the majority that goes to the principal team always tends to take little part of the plays on the matches, or by trying too hard to play "okay" rather than for the win or by little technique. But time passed, he matured and anybody could see that he had the personality and the talent to be a monster with key passes and decisive killer goals... But even then, he would still disapear a lot in his games, letting big gaps on midfield. Also he weren't one of those that would press the defense all the time, so i don't think that the lack of stamina is what transform him into a ghost.

To me, after observing him and the brazilian football... He is just a result of a crise of "Maestros" (the number 10 key player, in the last years we had just Oscar, Coutinho, Ganso and... I don't know, Jadson?) that is happening in Brazil. We've had been giving priority to strong, skillfull fast players rather than the little technical passers that conduct, think and builds the game. For this lack the brazilians teams ends up playing with weak or out of position players, where i do think that the second case happens with Oscar. The only times that i saw him dominating and participating a lot in the matches were with the Brazil from Mano Menezes where he had the liberty to drop deep and lead the team from behind. It was amazing in some of those matches where he would turn the ball around and came up from behind.

People say that he can't play as the deep lying playmaker for the lack of defensive power, other problem that i think that happens because of our wrong youth management for putting him in the wrong position and not showing him how to defend. Now It is said that if you want your own brazilian ofensive fullback you have to do like what was done with Wallace, Rafael and Fabio. You have to buy them while theyre young to teach them how to defend... And i think that we might have lost our chance with Oscar. Thanks God Mourinho is here and he can still work things up with him(really young), but i don't think that he is the true number 10 playmaker like Mata. Well, who knows, he may end up adapting himself to lead the play, but for now there is nothing but support that we can do, so lets just pray and hope for good football. =]

Sorry for the wall of text.

Tremendous player, he will be one of the best in 4 years time I know he will.

Just wondering where Mourinho will play him, I think he will start playing him and De Bruyne deeper rather than on the wings.

Mata maybe the best in terms of attack, but Oscar isn't as limited as Mata, Oscar can run games and always make himself available and much less vulnerable, he pretty much has everything in his locker.

Mata what? Limited? Are you sure? ^^