MLS All-Stars Vs Chelsea

James

To put things into perspective...

When we won the league under Carlo, we didn't win a single game in pre-season.

Under AVB we won every game in pre-season.

That was in Carlo's second season actually, (however he did win his first game that pre-season)

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The results in pre season mean nothing. What has been most dissapointing for me is the lack on direction in our play. We have signed some quality wide and attacking players and we have failed to adapt our style of play at all yet, this is what pre season is for as much as fitness. We continue to be so laborious in our play, by the time it gets to one of our attacking players the opposition have too many numbers behind the ball for us to be really effective. So far we are looking in every game as if we are playing Barca or Bayern - get behind the ball and cautious play, not overcommiting.

We really need to step things up if we are to be ready for the start of the season.

The results in pre season mean nothing. What has been most dissapointing for me is the lack on direction in our play. We have signed some quality wide and attacking players and we have failed to adapt our style of play at all yet, this is what pre season is for as much as fitness. We continue to be so laborious in our play, by the time it gets to one of our attacking players the opposition have too many numbers behind the ball for us to be really effective. So far we are looking in every game as if we are playing Barca or Bayern - get behind the ball and cautious play, not overcommiting.

We really need to step things up if we are to be ready for the start of the season.

I've noticed that too, although it's still early stages. I believe our double pivot of Mikel and Lampard while mostly effective defensively, is slow offensively. They dwell on the ball for too long, probably old habits. I've noticed Lampard trying to change his style since AVB, release the ball quicker and more direct, but his head is faster than his feet.. his release is still slow and sometimes inaccurate. I don't think Mikel and Lamps are quick one-two passing material. Young Frank probably would have managed it, but time has caught up. His best times were in a 4-3-3 with Drogba upfront and no real emphasis on quick passing.

Same goes for our defenders actually, they dwell and overpass in their backline. Perhaps it's to provoke the opposition higher up, I don't know, but it kills the pace and intent.

what did you guys think of MLS All-Stars centre back Jay Demerit? He plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps and he's our captain. I'd love to hear what other Chelsea fans thought about him. He's the guy who prevented Lukaku from going 1 v 1 against the keeper with a sliding tackle.

what did you guys think of MLS All-Stars centre back Jay Demerit? He plays for the Vancouver Whitecaps and he's our captain. I'd love to hear what other Chelsea fans thought about him. He's the guy who prevented Lukaku from going 1 v 1 against the keeper with a sliding tackle.

The tackle was good but he should of let Romelu get a goal!!

i fear that we will head into the season with only the 4-2-3-1 system we have tried. would be a real shame if its the case because this team has the ability to play a much more attacking formation now. 4-2-3-1 is way too rigid