Daniel Sturridge

the wes

Whereas I find it baffling that because he's played less than 200mins as a lone striker, that deems hims 'good enough' to be starting up front for us. He's unproven and a club like Chelsea isn't exactly known for being a proving ground for young players.

Agreed. I never said he was good enough, just that he was never given a chance which is even more baffling since our only other choice has been the biggest flop in football history.

Agreed. I never said he was good enough, just that he was never given a chance which is even more baffling since our only other choice has been the biggest flop in football history.

Up until now, he's had Anelka, Drogba and Torres to contend with. Proven strikers who on their day, can be world class. Understandable that he hasn't got a clear run of games when we have players like these at their disposal, at a club that demands results. We all know that the club would rather buy a superstar than test a young player with potential, I don't know why we're so surprised that Sturridge is leaving.

This season, Torres has been better (although his goal tally somewhat masks his performance levels), and i've repeatedly said that he will be the no.1 striker at the club this season, like it or not, because of the investment the club has made, but also of his known capabilities. Say what you want about him, he's still a better lone striker than Sturridge. At any other top club, Sturridge would be 3rd or even 4th choice striker, unfortunately for him, his injuries and contract situation have limited him this season, not his fault, i'll concede. It happens in football.

I don't think his back-to-goal play is any good at all, really. That's essential for someone who wants to be a lone striker. That's something he shares with Walcott and it's led to me wondering whether getting Walcott would do us any good after all since the latter wants to play upfront too. Ideally, Sturridge would link up well with a battering ram alongside him, like Davies (Bolton) or Carroll. There's no one like that at Liverpool and I can't see Rodgers playing him alongside or in place of Suarez so out wide is where he will remain.

he has done nothing out wide at Chelsea to prove that he deserves to be a lone striker.

------

Despite being our second top scorer last season?

Sturridge never said he wasn't happy playing on the wing, it's something people have made up and gradually grown on to. If you want to look at the original quote:

Moaning playing for chelsea on the wing,

-------

When talking about his form and the way he has been playing in recent weeks, Sturridge is quoted to have said:

"That's the position I will always pick myself, centre-forward.

But whatever position the manager picks me in I'm happy and right now, for the team, I'm in the wide position.

"I will always give 100 per cent and work as hard as I can to get the success we all want."

If you remember, at the time, 2010, Anelka and Drogba were rubbish. Sturridge was impressing in the very limited outings he got - many Chelsea fans were asking for him to be starting. Even at this point he was playing some reserve football when he was clearly too good for this, scoring 5 goals in one game, and there's a video of him scoring 3 goals in a training match - but he never got a chance.

He was well within his rights to ask why he wasn't getting more chances, which probably led to his loan to Bolton, where he promptly did better than anything Torres or Anelka had shown at CFC that season. I'm sure Lukaku probably did the same when he was playing reserves and the CF's were not doing well - he even came out to the media and was pretty malicious about that.

People are being far to naive to think this move is simply about whether Sturridge starts at CF or not. Far too trivial to say that. If he was so demanding about CF - why is he going to a club where he's starting on the wing? Why did he play and was happy playing wing for AVB? All part of this alias people have created for him.

Up until now, he's had Anelka, Drogba and Torres to contend with. Proven strikers who on their day, can be world class. Understandable that he hasn't got a clear run of games when we have players like these at their disposal, at a club that demands results. We all know that the club would rather buy a superstar than test a young player with potential, I don't know why we're so surprised that Sturridge is leaving.

This season, Torres has been better (although his goal tally somewhat masks his performance levels), and i've repeatedly said that he will be the no.1 striker at the club this season, like it or not, because of the investment the club has made, but also of his known capabilities. Say what you want about him, he's still a better lone striker than Sturridge. At any other top club, Sturridge would be 3rd or even 4th choice striker, unfortunately for him, his injuries and contract situation have limited him this season, not his fault, i'll concede. It happens in football.

I was talking about this season. If you are saying that Torres has been better than Danny this season, I wholeheartedly disagree. If you're saying that Torres has been better than he was last season, then that is irrelevant because Danny was still miles ahead of him.

It's one thing to want results, completely another to only play big names even when you have better players who will get you better results on the bench.

I was talking about this season. If you are saying that Torres has been better than Danny this season, I wholeheartedly disagree. If you're saying that Torres has been better than he was last season, then that is irrelevant because Danny was still miles ahead of him.

No, I meant that Torres has been better than he was last season. I don't see it as being irrelevant, because he's still a better all-round lone striker than Sturridge in my eyes. That doesn't mean he's good enough either, because he's not.

It's one thing to want results, completely another to only play big names even when you have better players who will get you better results on the bench.

My point was that Sturridge hasn't done anything to show that he would get results up front on his own rather than Torres. Playing out wide is a whole different game to playing up front alone. As Ray Wilkins said, his goalscoring is good, but his all-round game isn't there yet. And if it comes from him, I trust his opinion more so than anyone on here.

Just because he's scored from the wing, doesn't mean he'd be an instant success up front either, meaning that we would have to give him time to adapt and learn his trade, which i've already said we're not the type of club to do. This season would've been his chance (more than likely), but as I said, injuries/contract situations have prevented that.

I've gotten to the point that i'm repeating myself here :lol:

Well lets be honest, if this guy was half as dedicated to training etc as he thinks he is talented he'd be good.. but hes not. He thought "Oh Drogba and Anelka? Yeah sure I'm on there level because I've scored in a few FA cups games against Ipswich or whoever" wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. The thing that Wilkins said about Henry is very true, he played out wide left but then eventually became a center forward. If only Sturridge wasn't as fucking stubborn to only play through the middle, which he obviously is, then maybe he'd have a chance of working himself into that CF role. Maybe not here because well I don't think hes all that, well not what he thinks he is anyway.

Hes complained about wanting to play upfront as a CF at least 5 or 6 times. If he isn't complaining why does he keep repeating it? Its pretty obvious by the time he tried to get a clause into his Liverpool contract that he will be guaranteed games as a CF into it, that this was the case with his interviews. Disguised whining about wanting to play as a CF especially when all he'd done his whole club career is what play 70 times and score 20 goals .... I mean come on..

He was good on the wing under AVB but he must of been averaging at least 5 shots a game haha, he was probably our most regular shooter. When he fucked Clichy up vs City though, that was good.

I'm probably talking shit as I'm extremely tired and had about 20 energy drinks by now probably going to fall asleep on my keyboard within the next 12 minutes.

Apparently Wilkins said on Sky Sports yesterday how Sturridge had an attitude about playing wide and only wanted to play centrally. If he had that attitude behind the scenes then good riddance. In all honesty there are people going on far too greater lengths to defend Sturridge here, in his time at Chelsea he had 5/6 months of proper footballl where he did well. The club clearly don't want to keep him and they see more than us. I'm sure we're not going to regret letting Sturridge go and from what Wilkins apparently said, i'd much rather have players like Moses etc

Apparently Wilkins said on Sky Sports yesterday how Sturridge had an attitude about playing wide and only wanted to play centrally. If he had that attitude behind the scenes then good riddance. In all honesty there are people going on far too greater lengths to defend Sturridge here, in his time at Chelsea he had 5/6 months of proper footballl where he did well. The club clearly don't want to keep him and they see more than us. I'm sure we're not going to regret letting Sturridge go and from what Wilkins apparently said, i'd much rather have players like Moses etc

The club clearly want to keep FSW and Fernando Torres, I don't toll the "club" line - our board is a joke and this thread will be bumped a lot once he is getting regular minutes at Liverpool. I find it hilarious how he has not been given chances, and now people act like he has. He played regular first team football for the first time at CFC under AVB and was one of our best players a long with Mata and Ramires during that time. Below are the facts about his playing time in the club - if you feel that 500 minutes per season is enough time for a young player to develop you're having a laugh - despite that he has been constantly putting the ball in the back of the net.

2012/13: 320 minutes - 160 minutes per goal

2011/12: 3061 minutes - 235 minutes per goal

2010/11: 535 minutes - 133 minutes per goal

2009/10: 612 minutes - 122 minutes per goal

When he gets managerial backing like his time at Bolton he outscored the combined tally of Torres/Drogba/Anelka, he returned possibly thinking that would be enough for our new manager to give him a chance but instead Drogba and Torres who were failing in all sorts of ways in the League that season were picked ahead of him and when AVB was sacked Sturridge was relegated to the bench. Torres in half a season right now has played half the time Sturridge has played in total in four seasons while at CFC.

He played at Bolton at a higher degree than Torres has managed in two years at the club, it's obviously a board decision to keep Torres as a back up to whatever striker we bring in or try and fail horribly to play 2 up top.

In any case I don't see why some of you say "fuck" Sturridge(not aimed at you themightyblue), he is clearly been pushed out of the club and best of luck to him establishing himself as a 20 goals a season striker - something I feel he could do with ease.

this thread will be bumped a lot once he is getting regular minutes at Liverpool.

Inevitable, i remember when people were bumping the Borini thread -_-

as a 20 goals a season striker - something I feel he could do with ease.

Ease? i made a point months ago (which Konohas repeated recently) about him being overrated, and sometimes you only strengthen this. He's been decent for Chelsea in general, nothing more. Saying he can score 20 a season with "ease" is funny, not a lot of players in the PL actually get to that number.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts slagging us off in the press the moment he arrives at the bin dippers

I expect this, a lot of people do this to endear themselves to their new fans.