Luke Shaw

Joker10

The question should be: why doesn't the club/coach trust them to do a job at LB?

Shaw looks like a good player...but is he really worth 25+ million? (In my opinion, no)

totally agree. why was not bertrand give a real chance inspite of the fact that in his 3 performances for us this season, he was better than any thing cole had given us until that time. plus then the experiment with azpi.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People banging on about PVA. There is a reason he has spent last 2-3 seasons on loan. I bet my mortgage he is gone in the summer. Won't play for Chelsea again imo. I'd be surprised Bertrand does too. I mean a right footed right back is favoured over a natural left back? That for me is the sign of someone on our "unwanted" list. It's like people said "Don't buy Salah, use Baker" 90% of those people will have never seen Baker play properly and said it based on the fact he made the bench v Derby.

Piazon, dutch league poor quality, people wanting him in the squad expecting him to be dynamite. Needs a loan in a good league first, Prem, Italy, Spain.

i love the fact our youngsters are having good loans, but don't let it cloud your judgement and don't get your hopes up for them to be in our first team/squad next year, it wont happen. A lot of loans are actually cheap methods to get players in shop windows and entertain bids. Chalobah may be the exception

Shaw is worth the money being asked, he is already one of the best left backs in the league and he is only 20 years old.

Bretand aint good enough for me and PVA he is decent but i think shaw is at his level already.

We need to sign this guy up.

He's 18 pal :P

would say wait till summer, since Coentro is meant to be going to Man United on loan surely mean they wouldn't go for Shaw also? If we go for him in the summer, it allows us to lose more deadweight and cash in some more with transfers to add to the budget we already have and still have the FFP in mind.

Van nistelrooy, Suarez, Van Persie, Arjen Robben, van der sar, Jan vertonghen, Alex (ex blue) amongst host of others didn't seem to struggle that much with the transition. The automatic dismissal of eredivisie talent or players doing well in that league is getting old.

For every van Nistelrooy there is a Kezman, and for every van Persie there is an Alfonso Alves.... we could play this game all day.

For every van Nistelrooy there is a Kezman, and for every van Persie there is an Alfonso Alves.... we could play this game all day.

Where's the link between Van Persie and Afonso Alves?

They were at completely different stages of development..

Van Persie was signed as a 21 year old and developed by Arsenal...Afonso signed for Boro after one great season in the dutch league.

Van nistelrooy, Suarez, Van Persie, Arjen Robben, van der sar, Jan vertonghen, Alex (ex blue) amongst host of others didn't seem to struggle that much with the transition. The automatic dismissal of eredivisie talent or players doing well in that league is getting old.

The Eredivisie is not as strong as it used to be. RVN was signed by United ages ago when it was still a pretty respectable league, likewise with Van Der Sar.

RVP and Robben did okay in the league but were signed because of their huge potential more than their performances.

Vertonghen (who is overrated) and Alex (who was part of a very strong PSV side that consistently qualified for knockout stages in the CL) are the only recent defenders who have made a good transition to the PL.

I don't think it's viable to use someone's success in the Eredivisie to prove that one is better than someone who has been playing well consistently in the PL. Of course there are talents there as showcased with the likes of Suarez and Strootman in more recent years but it's the exception rather than the norm.

It should speak volumes that Piazon is one of the best players there right now.

I'm not saying PVA is bad, offensively the guy is brilliant but we've always known that. What he hasn't really been tested on however is his defensive game - something I'm still skeptical about as he hasn't really shown great improvements there (it's hard to do that when you're in the Eredivisie to begin with).

The way people constantly denounce players like PVA, Bertrand and Thorgan Hazard on here yet habitually back the likes of McEachran and Chalobah baffles me.

PVA is quality. He's quite clearly an offensive juggernaut and miles better than Shaw on that end as well as blessed with exceptional athleticism and pace. His defending is inconsistent but the same could be said of Marcelo and Ashley Cole before Mourinho. Real clubs at least attempt to develop and groom their youth.

Shaw is good but he's getting overrated on here because of his childhood team. I think Bertrand is the better defender.

If Mourinho was so good at helping Cole and Marcelo develop, how come he has not even bothered to try with Bertrand and loaned him out? Why did he let PVA stay in Vitesse? Why does he now instead play a RB at LB?

It is obvious for anyone to see that Mourinho is not happy with how the LB looks today and will surely want to do something about in it the summer. Shaw is a very good alternative.

If you at the age of 17/18 can hold a regular starting spot (in a defensive position, even better) in a mid-table PL team and still receive praise I think it is a very good sign of things to come. What Shaw needs now is a world-class coach that can pin-point the areas in which he needs to develop and help him through it.

So the ratio of success to failure is around 1:1 then. thats good enough for me and the risk is certainly not great enough to favour Shaw over PVA.. . .the risk will have to be considerably higher for the snubbing of eredivisie talents to be justified,

And if you really want to play that game for every Wayne Rooney, there's a Francis Jeffers and for every Steve Mcmanaman there's a Jermaine pennant.

The Eredivisie is not as strong as it used to be. RVN was signed by United ages ago when it was still a pretty respectable league, likewise with Van Der Sar.

RVP and Robben did okay in the league but were signed because of their huge potential more than their performances.

Vertonghen (who is overrated) and Alex (who was part of a very strong PSV side that consistently qualified for knockout stages in the CL) are the only recent defenders who have made a good transition to the PL.

I don't think it's viable to use someone's success in the Eredivisie to prove that one is better than someone who has been playing well consistently in the PL. Of course there are talents there as showcased with the likes of Suarez and Strootman in more recent years but it's the exception rather than the norm.

It should speak volumes that Piazon is one of the best players there right now.

I'm not saying PVA is bad, offensively the guy is brilliant but we've always known that. What he hasn't really been tested on however is his defensive game - something I'm still skeptical about as he hasn't really shown great improvements there (it's hard to do that when you're in the Eredivisie to begin with).

Which is my point all along. why can't PVA be the exception as well? Besides his obvious talent, he's shown tons of improvement in his game and is regarded as arguably the best defender in that league. Some people are just unnecessarily closed minded and think football is that black and white.

So the ratio of success to failure is around 1:1 then. thats good enough for me and the risk is certainly not great enough to favour Shaw over PVA.. . .the risk will have to be considerably higher for the snubbing of eredivisie talents to be justified,

And if you really want to play that game for every Wayne Rooney, there's a Francis Jeffers and for every Steve Mcmanaman there's a Jermaine pennant.

There were reports that Van Aanholt was about to be sold to Twente last summer so I'm not entirely sure how realistic it is that he'll return to us any time soon. Let's put him into context as well - he's older than Eden Hazard, Oscar and Lukaku yet he only has one international cap to his name and is plying his trade in the Dutch league.

Luke Shaw is 5 years younger, will almost certainly get an England cap this year, is a regular in a Premier League side who are doing well and is on the radar of every big club in this league.

If Van Aanholt wasn't a Chelsea player then he wouldn't even be in the discussion.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You