Eden Hazard

the wes

You answered your own question. Mata isn't as fast and can't take on opponents like Hazard. He also doesn't have great stamina, so making him defend like this only affects his game in attack.

Anyway i am happy Mourinho said this, because TOPTB was saying on friday- everyone needs to defend etc etc.

Mourinho showed he can allow that freedom to some players, he just doesn't want to do it for Mata and i'm fine with that.

Now just sell the Spaniard in January, i hate seeing his face on the bench.

Then I guess I couldn't express myself... I meant that as Mata's game is slower and he slows down play, why defending affects his attacking abilities? If he's deeper in the field, he'll carry the ball slowly, and will try to see the best play. If he has freedom, he'll have to wait other players to run because he - himself - doesn't run, so it's almost like if he's the second to last man in our side of the pitch, waiting for others to recover possession for us rather than himself, he'll receive the ball and either of two things will happen 1) he'll pass it to the striker, if it's a good alternative; 2) he'll wait for the team to move forward again, by either holding the ball, or slowly moving to the attacking half. Hazard with the same freedom would most likely run and dribble, leading the rest of our team to run as well, just like he did a few times yesterday. When we have possession is when Mata is the most dangerous and whether he helped recover or not that possession either by going deep when opposition has the ball or pressing high in their own half, I don't see how this affects his ability to receive the ball and do his thing.

Hazard on the other hand, if he's too deep, then he has an entire team ahead of him to dribble, run by and take on. That's why giving freedom to Hazard makes sense in my head, and giving freedom to Mata - like we did for two seasons - doesn't. We end up exposed exactly for those reasons, he's slow, he favors possession football, and in waiting others to recover possession he overloads Lampard who isn't defensively good for himself, let alone to make up for Mata.

The only way I see for us to have Mata as the guy with freedom, is if we have two Oscars, one on each side of him to make up for him without exposing Lampard's deficiencies defending. To have 2 Oscars we sacrifice Hazard from the team, as while Eden improved significantly his defending stats, he's nowhere near Oscar. So the question remains, who should we sacrifice Hazard or Mata because clearly we can't keep both of them free from defending. The other day I spent a long time thinking of a way to make this team work again with Mata in a way that having Mata doesn't compromise even further our weak pivot and doesn't detract Hazard's performances.

Just so we're clear, I don't think the problem is Mata, but how he fits in a team that have a few problems in the midfield as it is.

Is it just me or has his off the ball movement really improved a lot ?

and he also seems to be making a lot more runs in behind the defence.

Exactly. If he only has ronaldo's off the ball movement he'll be a fantastic player. Ronaldo's movement was the reason portugal created so many chances against sweden.

I said some days ago that hazard needs to attack the box more and it seems he's working on that movement. :D

Surprised at that Mourinho statement because Hazard tracked back his usual amount I thought last night. Was down by his own corner flag when Demel 'ghosted' past him. :carlo:

Either way it's clear Mourinho wants to make him into a new Ronaldo which is why he's stuck with him this season. With Oscar and Rami putting in such massive shifts it frees him up a little, but he still has to do his fair share of pressuring and tracking back.

He is our magic man ,Jose has identified this is a player with very special qualities and we need to build our team around him and get the ball to him,he will make things happen.

Exactly, every big team needs a magic man. Barça has Messi, Madrid have Ronaldo, Chelsea have Hazard. Only difference, our magic man has a few rough edges around him, and some will probably never be smoothened out, but he's all the more fun to watch for it!

Very impressed with him yesterday, was hoping for a good performance from him as hes been quite average for a player with his talent recently but that was much much better. His link up with Eto'o is getting better and better and hes starting to get into the spaces Eto'o leaves when he drifts out to the left wing to get shots off etc. Hopefully he'll get a few goals in the next few weeks.

Even with lampard's second goal, hazard made a superb off the ball movement to run for the cross but the defender blocked his shot and lampard scored the rebound. If hazard doesnt make that darting run into the box, we dont score. Thats what i want from him, Ronaldo scores so many goals because of his movement, always runs behind the defender for a cross or pass. If hazard gets this movement, he'll be twice the player he is now.

Exactly, every big team needs a magic man. Barça has Messi, Madrid have Ronaldo, Chelsea have Hazard. Only difference, our magic man has a few rough edges around him, and some will probably never be smoothened out, but he's all the more fun to watch for it!

Did you ever think about the age difference that might have to do with this :shifty: ????!

Messi = 26

Ronaldo = 28

Hazard = 22

Did you ever think about the age difference that might have to do with this :shifty: ????!

Messi = 26

Ronaldo = 28

Hazard = 22

Yes, of course, Messi and Ronaldo are only stars since this season :-)

With all due respect, but that was kind of a dumb remark.

Yes, of course, Messi and Ronaldo are only stars since this season :-)

With all due respect, but that was kind of a dumb remark.

Well, stats wise they were not near superstar level at Hazards age. I once posted all the stats and made a big elaborate comparison (Messi was close though - even at that age). But i can't be fucked to do it again so one of the mongrels on here just decides not to read it and thinks his opinion is far superior. Booyah.

Ronaldo at the age of 22: 42 goals in 49 matches for Manchester United

Messi at the age of 22: 47 goals in 53 matches for FC Barcelona

It's unrealistic to think that Hazard will ever (or anyone for that matter) atteign that level, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy watching him try :)

Well, stats wise they were not near superstar level at Hazards age. I once posted all the stats and made a big elaborate comparison (Messi was close though - even at that age). But i can't be fucked to do it again so one of the mongrels on here just decides not to read it and thinks his opinion is far superior. Booyah.

Haha WTF? stats are easy to consult man, 42 goals in 49 matches for Ronaldo and 47 in 53 for Messi is not superstar enough for you?

Ouch

Haha WTF? stats are easy to consult man, 42 goals in 49 matches for Ronaldo and 47 in 53 for Messi is not superstar enough for you?

Ouch

Check the year before when he was actually 22 (feb 1985). Also, check the years before. He only exploded for real (superstar wise) in his last season. Year 2005-2006 he only managed 8 goals , 8 assists. Hazard did just as good, stats wise in Lille (21 goals at 20 years old vs 22 from a 22 year old Ronaldo). Wiki will have to do , your rudeness makes me lazy.

As I said, Messi was already nearing superstardom at that age, but NOT the year before. He was Hazard-like at 20-21.
So OUCH - contextualize your stats a bit. Also, don't be so arrogant. It is uncalled for.