Eden Hazard

the wes

Now that's the Eden I know and love. Anyone who wants to shower me with stats about the chances he created for us today be my guest because he was just the best player in the first half imo. I was doing the post-match report for Chelsea Brazil while watching it and every time I had to report an attack I mentioned him.

If he carries it on, he will end the season as the player with more chances created in EPL - deservedly and truly to his actual contributions in the match.

I'm just heartbroken he didn't score. He deserved it.

5 key passes according to whoscored

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720184/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014-West-Ham-Chelsea

"We organised the team in a way where Hazard didn't need to defend, he was protected behind him so he just had to get the ball, turn and go."

:yes:

The point i was trying to make about Mata yesterday. Some players need to have the freedom to focus more in attack, especially when we're not playing against a top team.

"We organised the team in a way where Hazard didn't need to defend, he was protected behind him so he just had to get the ball, turn and go."

So is Mourinho, in other words, saying that he has been organizing his team in a way that the attacking players are having constantly to defend which in turn restricting their attacking abilities?

So is Mourinho, in other words, saying that he has been organizing his team in a way that the attacking players are having constantly to defend which in turn restricting their attacking abilities?

no, he's saying the obvious... one of the AM should have freedom to roam. Hazard is the obvious choice for having more freedom as he's the fastest AM we have now - except if André is also playing - so he's the guy who'll be our focal point in counter-attacks to link-up with our striker. It's more about letting Hazard available to receive the first ball in the counter, just like in Oscar's goal, rather than stop restricting his attacking abilities. Stamina aside, marking your opponent doesn't take away your ability to attack. Oscar, Willian and Mata, giving their style should be able to mark and still start a counter or give some splitting pass, but they aren't the guys doing the runs (Oscar does them sometimes, Mata can't because he's beyond slow), dribbling or taking on opponents. I'd say defensive responsibilities don't take away the attacking abilities of players such as Oscar, Mata and Willian. Although it should take away André's it doesn't either because he's a Energizer Bunny and has nearly as much stamina as Ramires. Hazard on the other hand seems to tire himself faster when he retreats back too much. Mourinho had decided that months ago... Hazard is the guy he's making his bets on and he's the one I'd bet too, even if I'm much more impatient than Mourinho, reason why he's a manager and I'm not.

:yes:

The point i was trying to make about Mata yesterday. Some players need to have the freedom to focus more in attack, especially when we're not playing against a top team.

I can see how it interferes in Hazard's game for the reasons I just mentioned (he runs, dribbles, takes on opponents). Mata is a completely different player, that prefers possession, have the time to decide what to do with the ball and do the unpredictable, genial, splitting pass. What does that have to do with him going deeper if more often than not he slows down our attack (by assessing his options, although he's quite the fast thinker), by holding possession and walking with the ball rather than running? No sarcasm here or trying to be smartypants, I'm interested to know (and learn) what that could be.

I guess so.. anyways we have to let atleast 1 player be more "free".. Oscar is not the one because he's great at defending and does it naturally. The defensive responsibilities seem to hurt Hazard the most.

Very good decision this. Hazard was a lot more active and came into the box a lot more. Team stood perfectly, everybody seemed to be in their best position. My hopes for the title are rising again :-)

I can see how it interferes in Hazard's game for the reasons I just mentioned (he runs, dribbles, takes on opponents). Mata is a completely different player, that prefers possession, have the time to decide what to do with the ball and do the unpredictable, genial, splitting pass. What does that have to do with him going deeper if more often than not he slows down our attack (by assessing his options, although he's quite the fast thinker), by holding possession and walking with the ball rather than running? No sarcasm here or trying to be smartypants, I'm interested to know (and learn) what that could be.

You answered your own question. Mata isn't as fast and can't take on opponents like Hazard. He also doesn't have great stamina, so making him defend like this only affects his game in attack.

Anyway i am happy Mourinho said this, because TOPTB was saying on friday- everyone needs to defend etc etc.

Mourinho showed he can allow that freedom to some players, he just doesn't want to do it for Mata and i'm fine with that.

Now just sell the Spaniard in January, i hate seeing his face on the bench.