Hulk

thejolta

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are initially the 'big 3', as we have 'the big 4'

now the premier league has 6-7 teams that could challenge for the title. upon that teams like norwich, swansea are making the whole of mid-table progress while the relegation candidates have shown that even they can beat the big boys. u just dont see that throughout all the teams in portugal and that's why i feel u cant judge strikers just on stats from the portuguese league

Most of the players who have come to us from the Portuguese league in recent years have succeeded at Chelsea and on the other hand Torres who had been banging goals in the Premier League for many years prior to his move has done fuck all so I fail to see your point. Of course he probably wouldn't be able to keep up with his stats at Porto but very few people on Earth could...

Torres was cuckoo before joining chelsea tbf

now the premier league has 6-7 teams that could challenge for the title. upon that teams like norwich, swansea are making the whole of mid-table progress while the relegation candidates have shown that even they can beat the big boys. u just dont see that throughout all the teams in portugal and that's why i feel u cant judge strikers just on stats from the portuguese league

Another brilliant point. Just like when the big two Spanish clubs come to visit, teams outside Porto, Sporting CP, Benfica and Braga roll over and accept that they're going to lose 4-0 and don't even bother making a fight of it. With that into account, I say except in extreme cases, the general rule of thumb for any attacking statistic from the Portuguese league is a discount of 30-40% to give us a more realistic amount of rough knowledge from which we deduce our expectations of a player.

No. This season there was 2 teams that could challenge, and right now I think besides Manchester clubs, only Chelsea can challenger for big trophies next 2 or 3 seasons. It was a improvement, because in last 7 or 8 years it was only 2 teams (Chelsea or Arsenal and then Chelsea or Manchester), and in some seasons it was a one horse race.

Liverpool never really challenged for the trophy in past years, even in 2008/2009 season only a fool would believe they could really win it, and after 2004/2005 season Arsenal never challeged for it.

I dont know how you came with 7 clubs, because Newcastle, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool just can't callenger for the trophy.

Another brilliant point. Just like when the big two Spanish clubs come to visit, teams outside Porto, Sporting CP, Benfica and Braga roll over and accept that they're going to lose 4-0 and don't even bother making a fight of it. With that into account, I say except in extreme cases, the general rule of thumb for any attacking statistic from the Portuguese league is a discount of 30-40% to give us a more realistic amount of rough knowledge from which we deduce our expectations of a player.

No team enter's the pitch with the mentality that 'we are going to lose', and don't produce 100 percent in that manner. There is just a difference in quality between the style of football and players .

Take note that he is very good in Europe too

He is kind of player, suited perfectly for PL. I dont think he would have any problems getting goals and assists in prem. For him, this wont be much challange because of attributes he has dont realy matter where you play.

He will be still same strong and fast and he will have still impossible long shots even he comes to prem.

yes. fair enough :yes:

i was merely expressing my concern that people are thinking that great stats in the portuguese league translates to great performances for us

No. This season there was 2 teams that could challenge, and right now I think besides Manchester clubs, only Chelsea can challenger for big trophies next 2 or 3 seasons. It was a improvement, because in last 7 or 8 years it was only 2 teams (Chelsea or Arsenal and then Chelsea or Manchester), and in some seasons it was a one horse race.

Liverpool never really challenged for the trophy in past years, even in 2008/2009 season only a fool would believe they could really win it, and after 2004/2005 season Arsenal never challeged for it.

I dont know how you came with 7 clubs, because Newcastle, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool just can't callenger for the trophy.

Newcastle, Spurs and Liverpool won't challenge for the title but I reckon with a bit more investment Arsenal will next year. We need to get some deals done early though so we can be seen as major challengers rather than fade away like we did this year. City and United will probably be the top two again next season anyway but the league changes every year so you never know really....

make it 5 then. 5 top quality teams though. Arsenal were better than us this season. not by much and they did get lucky on a few occasions but they were better. so u cant say that they wont challenge. they may add 2-3 smart buys like podolski etc and challenge for the league. whereas spurs were challenging for the league and then fell apart later on. they too have a great chance of building on that. And then there is us. newcastle may only be a hope but u never know who may emerge. if they continue in this vein next season (and this is absolutely crucial), they may challenge for the title in 1-2 seasons itself. i agree its unlikely but they did score 65 points this season and proved that it was no fluke

i agree liverpool are nowhere near though :D

Arsenal were better than us this season. not by much and they did get lucky on a few occasions but they were better. so u cant say they may add 2-3 smart buys like podolski etc and challenge for the league. whereas spurs were challenging for the league and then fell apart later on. they too have a great chance of building on that and then there is us

i agree liverpool are nowhere near though :D

Spurs will never win the title with A'rry manager.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You