Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£17m and no KdB involved is actually a great deal in my opinion. Hope it means De Bruyne will be recalled and not sold to Dortmund. Can't see him going on another loan so there are only these two options left.

Sure it's a lot of money but that's simply what the market is like these days, even average players go for over 10m all the time and to get a young player who's already very good with potential to be even better you just have to pay a lot. When a player is already world class at such an early age, he will go for double the amount Schürrle will cost, unless there are exceptional circumstances like a release clause negotiated when the player wasn't yet as good or if his contract is about to expire. Now tell me, which players tick those boxes this summer?

Those moaning we should have gone for the likes of Di Maria, Sanchez etc. should think about the big picture. Those guys come with a much bigger reputation and would be much more likely to demand a guaranteed place in the starting lineup as well as costing a good £10m more and having double the wages Schürrle will get. For the good of squad harmony, it's better to buy a player who's ego isn't yet as big as some Real Madrid or Barcelona first team regular's is because we already have amazing players at the club and new signings for the AM positions are needed for depth more than anything. If they're already good and capable of being maybe even world class someday, why not take a chance?

In Mourinho I trust, he seems to fancy this deal and so do I.

'Meh' pretty much sums up my feelings on this transfer.

£17m is a good price as far as I can see. Don't forget of the 'Chelsea tax' we usually pay on every single transfer and the fact that Germans rarely leave the Bundesliga, unless it's for serious money.

He's not Hazard or Mata level of quality, but I do think he's ahead of Moses. Price seems right. Don't forget, this is the same day that City paid £22m for a 28yr old Brazilian whose played the majority of his career in the Ukrainian League...I think we're OK tbh.

Those moaning we should have gone for the likes of Di Maria, Sanchez etc. should think about the big picture. Those guys come with a much bigger reputation and would be much more likely to demand a guaranteed place in the starting lineup as well as costing a good £10m more and having double the wages Schürrle will get. For the good of squad harmony, it's better to buy a player who's ego isn't yet as big as some Real Madrid or Barcelona first team regular's is because we already have amazing players at the club and new signings for the AM positions are needed for depth more than anything. If they're already good and capable of being maybe even world class someday, why not take a chance?

Disagree. The point with people wanting the likes of Di Maria, Sanchez etc is because we want our RW position problem to be solved (first and foremost). At the moment, we have no top class player to fill that position and by getting a proper RW, it will make the team much more balance by playing the right players in the right position and not trying to fill square pegs in round holes. Schurrle's main position is on the LW. We already got Hazard there and he won't be dropped for a player with lesser quality than him. Not denying Schurrle will add depth to the team, even though I'm not 100% convinced by him, but buying someone like Di Maria, Sanchez etc, a top quality RW and solving that area would be much better first.

'Meh' pretty much sums up my feelings on this transfer.

£17m is a good price as far as I can see. Don't forget of the 'Chelsea tax' we usually pay on every single transfer and the fact that Germans rarely leave the Bundesliga, unless it's for serious money.

He's not Hazard or Mata level of quality, but I do think he's ahead of Moses. Price seems right. Don't forget, this is the same day that City paid £22m for a 28yr old Brazilian whose played the majority of his career in the Ukrainian League...I think we're OK tbh.

they paid over 30m i heard

Strength in depth is key to being successful in the PL

If we line up with -

Oscar - Mata - Hazard

we then could potentially have Schurrle, KdB and Moses on the bench to come on and change the game and that looks really promising.

17M not so bad, thought it was 22M-24M before. Not so bad considering Moses was 12M with one year left on his contract. We do need a player like him and Moses, who can work wonders against lower level teams just willing to sit deep, so instances like that you want direct players instead of playing a heavy possession game through the middle.

I'm glad KDB isn't involved but I still want confirmation that he will return to us, just don't understand why we are so desperate to send him out on loan. If he does go on loan then he'll be sold most certainly because it seems like we're just trying to hike up his price if he goes on loan, because it's obviously not to get him ready for Chelsea because he already is.

I head a £34m 'deal' with a £22 transfer fee + £12m 5yr contract!

That's not true, no way he's earning only £45k a week at Manchester City when he already had a good contract at Shakhtar. £22m and a contract worth £100k a week (roughly £25m for the whole contract length) is what most sources agree on for Fernandinho.

Hype of Chelsea wanting to sign the guy even if Bayer were being dicks and also willing to sacrifice KDB for the fella

But if new reports are to be believed we haven't sacrificed KDB for him. We will see. If arsenal or someone bought him then I think Schurrle would have been about 12 mil most people would say that it was a pretty good signing. As we are Chelsea we have to overpay a bit, so 17 million pounds is fairly reasonable imo. He's not gonna be a hazard. But it doesn't mean he cannot be very useful.

Strength in depth is key to being successful in the PL

If we line up with -

Oscar - Mata - Hazard

we the could potential have Schurrle, KdB and Moses on the bench to come no and change the game and that looks really promising.

I was thinking the same thing too many times this season when we put out the starting XI looked good but when you looked at options on the bench you saw we had no game changers