Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

Not sure why so many people are agaisnt this transfer. I really doubt Chelsea will let KDB go the other way.

You can clearly see how short our squad was this season. Luckily our trio stayed mostly injury free this season or we would of been in trouble. He's quick, versatile, has a good shot on him and has a great work rate. For 20 million or under he will add a lot to our squad.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question, have you ever seen Andre Schürrle play? This is a player who will give everything he's got for the team both in defence and attack, his work rate is immense. Can you say the same about Sturridge? Sure, both are indeed quite selfish and talented players but that's where the comparisons end. Their decision making will improve in time and if we're to assume both do become less selfish when they mature, I for one would still take Schürrle ahead of Sturridge any day for his work rate alone because he still benefits the team even when he's not at his best attacking-wise.

Like I said in my previous post, there are other options too and they could be pursued if Leverkusen won't sell for €15-20m but I trust whoever the board and management want to buy. In the last couple of years aside from Torres and and maybe Marin (whose signing was still justfied in my opinion like I said in my previous post) there haven't been many flop signings, have there? This is a player who the scouting team have been looking at since his days at FSV Mainz so surely they know what they're investing their money in.

I've seen Schurrle in about 20 games this season..and he's inconsistent. He does great in one game, then goes missing for 2 games..then comes back with a decent performance.

I haven't seen Schurrle benefit the team when he's not at his best...he seems just as selfish as Sturridge.

Schurrle just doesn't seem to have that special ability which is the difference between a top-class player and a good squad player.

Anyway I hope Schurrle proves me wrong...but I don't see it happening.

Sturridge wanted to play up front as the striker only. But schurrle is more versatile, he can play across the front three and in the striker position too. Schurrle is defensively better than sturridge too and will gladly accept to play out wide or up front or behind striker.

Don't underestimate the fact that schurrle is a German international regular while sturridge is part time for england.

Sturridge wanted to play up front as the striker only. But schurrle is more versatile, he can play across the front three and in the striker position too. Schurrle is defensively better than sturridge too and will gladly accept to play out wide or up front or behind striker.

Don't underestimate the fact that schurrle is a German international regular while sturridge is part time for england.

That has more to do with the English selectors than anything seeing as he deserves a spot on the team quite easily.

He is not more versatile. For all the shit Sturridge got playing on the wing, he was quite successful, still scoring goals, creating mismatches, and using his speed and technical ability to help the team out. People act like his time out wide was shambles but he was in fact the talk of the forum at one time and rising up the list of most peoples favorites while playing wide.

ive seen schuurle play the ball across for tap ins for his team mates instead of going for goal himself so i wouldnt say he is that selfish. he takes quite allot of long range efforts but they are pretty effective and we've had lampard doing that for ages anyway. sometimes im frustrated when some players like mata seem reluctant to shoot and are too selfless so i think schurrle will help balance it out.

That has more to do with the English selectors than anything seeing as he deserves a spot on the team quite easily.

He is not more versatile. For all the shit Sturridge got playing on the wing, he was quite successful, still scoring goals, creating mismatches, and using his speed and technical ability to help the team out. People act like his time out wide was shambles but he was in fact the talk of the forum at one time and rising up the list of most peoples favorites while playing wide.

Its not just the English selectors, germany has one of the best teams in europe and he's still called up playing alongside reus, gotze and ozil.

I didn't say sturridge was not good here, I said he wasn't happy playing out wide. He wanted striker role alone and its never good if your players are not happy. But schurrle would be more than happy to play at any position for a big club like ours.

I'm sure u must have been frustrated sometimes when it seems like we are trying to walk the ball into the net instead of having some genuine threat from outside the box. With schurrle here, he'll help lampard in that.:D

If Schurrle was so bad & selfish, then why is he playing for the German national team ?

Personally, I can not say much about him because I have not seen him playing much.

However, something is telling me he could be a very fine acquisition.

If Schurrle was so bad & selfish, then why is he playing for the German national team ?

Personally, I can not say much about him because I have not seen him playing much.

Why are none of the big clubs chasing him? Why are we paying such a 'low' fee for a young German international, compared to say Gotze or what Reus might go for? Doesn't that set off alarm bells?

For me Schürrle is the right-footed Robben. Great pace and a great shot but sometimes way too selfish. Wouldnt mind him as a backup though.

Why are none of the big clubs chasing him? Why are we paying such a 'low' fee for a young German international, compared to say Gotze or what Reus might go for? Doesn't that set off alarm bells?

Why weren't they in for Azpi? Or De Bruyne? Or Courtois? This is just how football goes sometimes. Other teams have other priorities and see different things in different players. Clearly the people at this club see something in this guy and it's not something impulsive or recent.

Why weren't they in for Azpi? Or De Bruyne? Or Courtois? This is just how football goes sometimes. Other teams have other priorities and see different things in different players. Clearly the people at this club see something in this guy and it's not something impulsive or recent.

Ah but the rumoured price is upwards of 20 million, isn't it? De Bruyne and Courtois were purchased for relatively low fees. All I'm questioning is whether we're really getting a player worthy of such a valuation.

Ah but the rumoured price is upwards of 20 million, isn't it? De Bruyne and Courtois were purchased for relatively low fees. All I'm questioning is whether we're really getting a player worthy of such a valuation.

the price is around 20-23 million euros. i think thats a normal price for someone like schürrle. his release clause will be 14 million next years, so its clear, that they want 4-5 million more than this.

de bruyne and courtois were unknown and playing in the belgien league. schürrle is an international player for germany and plays in the Bundesliga. massive difference.

Come on now. Should we question how much any player cost ?

Some are too much, some are not.

At Chelsea money is not something, we should be worried about.

Obviously, the club sees something in Schurrle. Otherwise, they would not chase after him for almost a year.

Personally, I am happy to see any player bought by the club.

After all, the club can not win much with depleted bench.

The more players on the bench, the better the team. Roman wants to win & win big. Therefore, Jose is coming & players are being bought.

I don't think anyone expected Courtois to develop so rapidly in the past 2 seasons.

De Bruyne was chased by a few lower-end Italian clubs...but they didn't meet Genk's price from what I remember.

As for Azpi, brilliant signing by the scouting department. He'd have to be one of the best value for money purchases of recent times.

But yea, I get your point...we made it a priority to sign talented youngsters with high potential...hopefully the investment pays off!

Apparently there is interest from Dortmund for him

marin was in the 2010 world squad for germany. being called for a national side does not mean he is a great player.

marin was in the 2010 world squad for germany. being called for a national side does not mean he is a great player.

and was woeful and never played again. and germany had less quality to choose from then