David Luiz

the wes

The same title race when we were 12 points off the top when David Luiz arrived and he single handedly got us back in the race?

We weren't winning it that season even if we won at Old Trafford, the damage was done in December. Also both JT and Luiz were at fault, Luiz for playing Hernandez offside, Terry on, but of course if forgot, Luiz is the only defender to ever make mistakes.

Oh and just to add, he personally has a superior record against Man.Utd in head to head's. He has also never been on the losing side against Arsenal or Spurs.

not even going to try to argue with such coments dude.

not even going to try to argue with such coments dude.

As i said to BM i probably worded it wrong when i said single handedly, but you can't say he didn't stand out like a star in that stagnant squad.

What is this discussion even about? We have two really promising, established and well-performing young CBs. What are you guys argueing about?

And I dont get what people have against Luiz. You may not like the way he plays, but that is the way he plays, we knew that, and we like that. Else we wouldnt have bought him.

I really like him and I believe he has the chance to become a future captain.

Absolutely. He is an incredibly talent footballer, and possibly the best all-round player in our squad, particularly on a technical level. On a mental level, which is the most-important part of football, he isn't all there. He has occasional brain-farts. Let's face it, we all do, and our whole squad will make mistakes. I firmly believe, that as a coach myself, I know no player will ever wittingly cross that white line with the intention of making a mistake. HOWEVER, should it happen to one of my players a number of times, I take them out of my team. Mourinho has done the same, and I personally think fairly. Cahill was brilliant yesterday. Luiz knows he will have to improve to get back into the team, now.

Great post, and I mostly agree.

On the importance of mental level, that's really debatable and perhaps cultural as well. I can affirm that In Brazil technique is considered *the most* important aspect, but mentality is indeed considered important especially on the highest stage (International etc).

This is a discussion that probably deserves its own thread, but I reckon however strong mentally a player may be, he has no business playing at the highest level if his technique doesn't follow closely behind. I for one find it far more likely Luiz improving decisions, positioning, and concentration than Cahill improving his technique, pace, and agility. Defenders tend to improve on the mental side of the game as they age. Experience does give them a better reading of the game over time.

great read - apologize for double-posting but completely different subject

Leboeuf frankly on David Luiz....

'Sometimes he scares me a little when I see him being very easy and taking too many risks, but he`s the same kind of player I was.

'Maybe I was less crazy than he is, but he`s a fantastic player, he likes to go forward, and I can`t reject a player like that because that`s the philosophy I like.

'But at the same time, if you`re going to play him, you need to make sure people compensate, and one of the midfielders goes next to John Terry when he goes forward.

'It`s teamwork,
and David Luiz has to be careful than someone can take his place when he does things. I like David Luiz - he brought so much to the club and he`s a talented player.

'He has to work on the defensive aspects of his football, but a little bit of craziness doesn`t kill anybody, and it brings a bit of flavour to football.'

'It was a good idea to see him playing as a midfielder because he`s secure at the back with John Terry, Branislav Ivanovic or Gary Cahill behind him,'

the Frenchman added.

'It`s an option, but as you get older I think he`s going to go forward less, like I did, and he`s going to calm down, and so maybe his position really is at the back.

'Because of his technique, it`s good to have a player who can be calm and give a good pass to start a good attack.'

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=538012

I'm bit gutted he has been dropped, it was a simple mistake I like Gary but I prefer David. I hope he is not be shunned it was a wee mistake. We shall see...

You know, when someone is the worst player on the pitch especially because of being brainless that can happen. :)

okay, Mou, how about we start giving him the stability he needs, like being back in the team and all? I'm sure he'll start taking things much more seriously (although I don't think he didn't take them serious before, he just lost concentration at moments) and will pay much more attention to his surroundings after kissing the bench in two very important matches such as Schalke and City