Roman Abramovich Thread

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

Boehly sounds the closest to FSG's style of running a club.

I like in several videos Boehly has talked about getting the best people in place and let them run the day to day operations and his team does everything they can to improve the team and facilities. These interviews were related to the Dodgers and Lakers so it was not him trying to say the right thing to acquire Chelsea.

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

We may need to start identifying some players at an earlier stage moving forward if transfer budgets won't be potentially as high or flexible as they may have been previously

The transfer budget can be smaller and, effectively, larger at the same time. Just cut out the enormous waste of the Roman era. Spend less get more. If the incoming regime can't do better in the transfer market for CFC than has been done in the past 20 years then we are selling to the wrong people.  

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If we were to bring in a technical director though they have to work with Tuchel and not against him. For all the benefits that some of these people can bring there can also be power struggles, blaming for bad signings, etc when things go wrong.

I used to laugh when people held up Ferguson and Wenger as examples that clubs did not need Directors of Football because both of those men were perfect examples of exactly the opposite. I don't know what their actual job titles were but, in reality, each was the director of football in their club. They had the final say in all football matters barring, I suppose, the budget, and even that would have been influenced by them. I make this point because I feel that TT can become that person for CFC and I would not like to see someone parachuted in who then blocks TT's natural development into the rule.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

6 hours ago, mkh said:

I hope Chelsea gets one of Campos, Edwards, Mitchell or with outsider Ramon Planes because of little English skills.

I also hope that Marina and Cech can keep their roles.

McLachlan and Crew Out

Ramón Planes, close to returning to Getafe

https://www.estadiodeportivo.com/noticias-futbol/getafe/2022/04/06/ramon-planes-cerca-volver-getafe/389672.html

35 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

The transfer budget can be smaller and, effectively, larger at the same time. Just cut out the enormous waste of the Roman era. Spend less get more. If the incoming regime can't do better in the transfer market for CFC than has been done in the past 20 years then we are selling to the wrong people.  

Completely agree. One only has to look at what our perceived strike rate is for, say the top 20 most expensive players in the Roman era vs the rest. Maybe sometimes you get players like an Azpi or an Ivanovic who are bought in for much less money and hype and as a result they can sit out the side a little longer and develop and adapt, but we've generally done pretty decent business when we've been "finding value" in our buys, and such shocking business more often than not on big money signings it's puzzling why we'd go back to that well time after time.

44 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I used to laugh when people held up Ferguson and Wenger as examples that clubs did not need Directors of Football because both of those men were perfect examples of exactly the opposite. I don't know what their actual job titles were but, in reality, each was the director of football in their club. They had the final say in all football matters barring, I suppose, the budget, and even that would have been influenced by them. I make this point because I feel that TT can become that person for CFC and I would not like to see someone parachuted in who then blocks TT's natural development into the rule.

It's a difficult one and I feel the club needs to find a balance. I agree with you on Fergie and Wenger but look at the trouble both clubs have had since then to replace them. I think there still needs to be some accountability with a manager if things aren't going well or signings are poor. I would love Tuchel to be that manager that breaks the short term mould at the club and stays here another 3, 4, 5 years building on what he has done so far. But Tuchel's track record in the transfer market across his clubs is hardly something for him to crow about (although again we come back to what influence he had at these clubs with regards to recruitment - especially at PSG and here with Lukaku), so we do have to still be careful with giving someone that much power and carte blance within the club.

Ultimately I think it boils down to the job spec of the director of football. If they are someone who heads up the scouting department, and can bring in new ideas (the moneyball idea that seems to have served Liverpool pretty well as an example) is definitely a positive. As has just been mentioned above, our recruitment hasn't exactly been efficient and that's based on bigger budgets. Can our scouting department and someone like Scott McLachlan operate under stricter budgets or possibly identifying a different profile of transfer prospects?

However, I still feel the director of football shouldn't be headed above the manager, and in many situations they can be given far too much power. What we need is someone able to shake up and sort out our scouting and recruitment but work alongside Tuchel. Tuchel should always get the final say on, and be in full agreement with who comes in and out of the club. I don't want someone sat above him making decisions on who is brought into and moved out of the club. There has to be a balance - it's a fine balance, but it's one the club should strive towards.

For those superstitious type just to note that according to reports Boehly was at last nights game and has now been to oversee the home games against Arsenal and Madrid, the two biggest clusterfuck defensive performances I've seen for a long time.

Pagliuca has been to one game per reports which was the 6-0 win against Southampton.

I think if Boehly goes to West Ham too he wants to pray we actually win a game under his watchful eye, otherwise murmurs of a curse might start to escalate!

9 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

BREAKING NEWS: Sir Lewis Hamilton and Serena Williams join Sir Martin Broughton's bid to buy Chelsea from Roman Abramovich, 'pledging £10m each', as the £2.5bn bidding war nears its conclusion

This would worry me as it makes you wonder just how many people are involved in a bid like this if you've got such minority investors. The club might as well be floated on the stock exchange instead.

I would assume there's probably a bit more to it than just their money to have high profile sports people involved but so far the Broughton bid has been the least transparent (whilst it's universally accepted Harris and Blitzer are significantly involved, no one has been honest enough to confirm it). There has been talk that it's well funded but unlike the other 2 it's yet to really see where that funding on a bigger scale is coming from.

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

This would worry me as it makes you wonder just how many people are involved in a bid like this if you've got such minority investors. The club might as well be floated on the stock exchange instead.

I would assume there's probably a bit more to it than just their money to have high profile sports people involved but so far the Broughton bid has been the least transparent (whilst it's universally accepted Harris and Blitzer are significantly involved, no one has been honest enough to confirm it). There has been talk that it's well funded but unlike the other 2 it's yet to really see where that funding on a bigger scale is coming from.

LeBron James owns a tiny minority stake of Liverpool through FSG, who have around 30 partners overall. The likes of Hamilton or Williams being included in Broughton's consortium is just like that, doesn't mean anything really.

Would imagine all of the remaining bidders have at least a couple dozen people involved with varying degrees of involvement. What matters most is who owns the controlling stake and who they put in place to take care of the club's major decisions.

On 21/04/2022 at 09:59, Superblue_1986 said:

For those superstitious type just to note that according to reports Boehly was at last nights game and has now been to oversee the home games against Arsenal and Madrid, the two biggest clusterfuck defensive performances I've seen for a long time.

Pagliuca has been to one game per reports which was the 6-0 win against Southampton.

I think if Boehly goes to West Ham too he wants to pray we actually win a game under his watchful eye, otherwise murmurs of a curse might start to escalate!

Nothing to do with these coincidences but I'm ok with both of these bids.

Curious that it's wall to wall Americans in the running to buy the club.

27 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Nothing to do with these coincidences but I'm ok with both of these bids.

Curious that it's wall to wall Americans in the running to buy the club.

My gut feeling for preference (and to be fair we're only given a limited sample of information regarding the bids) would be Boehly, then Pagliuca, then Broughton.

With regards to how valuable we appear to be for Americans - I can remember reading something early on in the process to suggest that the American line is that Chelsea at the price we are is a steal and with longer term in mind, could easily be 2 or 3x the price in another 10-15 years time. Boehly himself in an interview a few years ago mentioned football clubs aren't investments to return 30% each year but they're a stable asset to hold so I think he carries the same idea that if he can continue to grow the club and keep it challenging for trophies and amongst the top clubs in Europe then the club's value will grow in time.

7 hours ago, milka said:

Co-founders of Clearlake Capital Group, Behdad Eghbali and José E. Feliciano 

Founded in 2006, Clearlake Capital Group, L.P. is an investment firm operating integrated businesses across private equity, credit and other related strategies.  With a sector-focused approach, the firm seeks to partner with experienced management teams by providing patient, long term capital to dynamic businesses that can benefit from Clearlake’s operational improvement approach, O.P.S.® The firm’s core target sectors are technology, industrials, and consumer. Clearlake currently has over $72 billion (£56 billion) of assets under management, and its senior investment principals have led or co-led over 300 investments. The firm is headquartered in Santa Monica, CA with affiliates in Dallas, TX, London, UK and Dublin, Ireland.

cofounders-of-clearlake-capital-group-behdad-eghbali-and-jos-e-are-picture-id1197620922?s=2048x2048