Barcelona vs Chelsea

termninja

Feeling downright nervous about this one. Didn't even feel that way before the first leg. We're still the underdogs going into this and it's gonna be a mammoth task taking on Barcelona at the Camp Nou and also with the referee expected to favor Barcelona. That aside though, we're possibly only 90 minutes away from another Champions League Final!

Aaaahhhhhh!! Can we just skip to Tuesday night already?! Win or lose, just want to get this over it. Such agony to just even wait for the match to come, let alone to find out the outcome of the tie tomorrow night!!

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UEFAlona morale will be at a all time low after two losses, they will also be tired after an intense Classico.

Intense Clasico? They have looked lethargic from the start and it was as if they couldn't be bothered with it and was just conserving their energy for this game. Wouldn't be surprised if they start a high tempo and come out all guns blazing at us tomorrow.

All hail Monsieur Wenger.. :worship:

http://www.guardian....a-arsene-wenger

"The Barcelona that we have seen last Wednesday [in the first leg at Stamford Bridge, where Chelsea won 1-0] is not the Barcelona of last year," Wenger said. "It is far from impossible to qualify [at Camp Nou] because Chelsea go in an even better position than we did last season – 1‑0 is a fantastic result."

Wenger will always be haunted by Arsenal's demise in last season's Champions League. Two-one up against Barcelona after a famous last‑16 first leg, they equalised for 1-1 on the night through a Sergio Busquets own-goal. Yet Robin van Persie was controversially dismissed in the 59th minute and Barcelona got the goals they needed, although the substitute Nicklas Bendtner fluffed a glorious late chance to send Arsenal through.

"Barcelona will have 70% of the ball but is it not worth trying to score a goal?" Wenger said. "That would, mentally, be a massive blow to Barcelona because I have seen last year when we scored … it was a lucky goal but I could see suddenly that they became very nervous."

Wenger also noted fitness issues. Roberto Di Matteo, Chelsea's interim coach, made eight changes to his starting lineup at the Emirates but his Barcelona counterpart Pep Guardiola had rather less room for manoeuvre in el clásico, permitting himself only two alterations against Real Madrid. Barcelona legs might be heavier on Tuesday night.

"At the moment [Lionel] Messi looks a bit tired, although he is still dangerous," Wenger said. "Chelsea managed to block a few shots from him on Wednesday night but usually he has such a short back‑lift it is difficult to do that. That means he is not as sharp as he was before and, if they defend like they did the other night, Chelsea have a chance."

Deep down it would annoy Wenger if Chelsea were to advance on the back of a cagey approach. He grumbled about how they had come to "lock up the game" at Saturday lunchtime and is a notorious aesthete, yet he accepts that results in the biggest matches are the priority.

"Inter Milan beat Barcelona that way [in the 2010 semi-final] and nobody took any credit away from Inter Milan," said Wenger, who now feels that to secure a Premier League third-place finish Arsenal require two wins from the final three games. "You know, if Chelsea played like that the whole season it would be more difficult to understand but in a European Cup game, against Barcelona, you understand that. You want them to qualify."

P.S. Sorry for the triple post by the way. :)

I don't understand the Wenger hate. For someone who understandably dislikes Chelsea as a long-serving manager of a rival club, he usually gives a fair account of how things happens.

I know the mans not perfect with regards to "I did not see it" et al, but he's still a decent bloke, considering the circumstances. Chapeau, Monsieur.

Would love a win or a goalless draw for this game, but wouldn't be pissed off in the slightest if we come off second best, a bit gutted yes, but not pissed.

They've done well to get this far. Can't wait for they boys to make history.

Fate is sealed ;

UEFA have appointed Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir. The deputy chairman of UEFA's Referees Committee is Senes Erzik, also from Turkey.Erzik has strong links to UNICEF, for whom he worked as a project manager.As you know,UNICEF has partnered Barcelona since 2006...

Fate is sealed ;

UEFA have appointed Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir. The deputy chairman of UEFA's Referees Committee is Senes Erzik, also from Turkey.Erzik has strong links to UNICEF, for whom he worked as a project manager.As you know,UNICEF has partnered Barcelona since 2006...

and this

60_1589thyhaber10.jpg

God help UEFA if we don't get a fair ref...

Let's not judge the referee before the game. He'll be under huge pressure and maybe some decisions will go in our way. I'm sure he will have in mind what happened in 2009.

I hope the boys watched El Clasico, because I simply enjoyed watching Barca being so powerless. They had tested Casillas just 3 times (!!!) and in the same time they showed how vulnerable they are to set-pieces and counters.

Puyol had no chance against Cristiano, but I fear the return of Pique, in my opinion one of the best defenders nowadays. (always reminds me of Luiz, don't know why)

Other concern are the yellow cards, which seem like granted.

Fate is sealed ;

Cuneyt Cakir refereed our 4-1 win against Spartak Moscow in 2010. Seemed alright then.

I don't care what other teams think of our chances of progressing.I don't care how we play tomorrow,don't care if we have lower than 10percent possession or have only 2 shots in total.All I want is a win or a draw and I am damn confident that we can.

Cuneyt Cakir refereed our 4-1 win against Spartak Moscow in 2010. Seemed alright then.

He's either a throw away ref because of the first leg -or he could be one of the new breed coming through that are good.

ie he has shown no fear in controlling sides with cautions and dismissals. A fact which both Chelsea and Barcelona know would mean they have players who would miss out on the final.

If he is the former the 'ey' will for ever be removed from his name