The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Sorry to say, but all German teams are poor bar Bayern Munich when it comes down to European competitions. All German sides have been humiliated by English sides this week. Not to mention, in all those games except the Munich game, it wasn't even close.

I don't understand why UEFA still allow 4 German sides in the Champions League. Schalke and Leverkusen are atrocious. Leverkusen got thumped 5-0 by the worst United team in decades at home.

It's something called UEFA coefficient. And currently 3 german sides are on top of their groups, so I'm really not sure what are you talking about.

It's something called UEFA coefficient. And currently 3 german sides are on top of their groups, so I'm really not sure what are you talking about.

Yes I don't understand why the UEFA coefficient is so high for Germany. Like I said before, all German clubs have always been disappointing except Munich. Yes Dortmund had a freak season few years back when they reached finals, similar to Leverkusen's freak season in 2002. You watch Leverkusen & Dortmund will get thrashed once they hit second round, Dortmund have had a super easy group this season. Leverkusen lost yesterday to Monaco at HOME. Schalke can't even beat Maribor at home. Leverkusen lost 5-0 to the worst Man Utd team in decades at HOME, Schalke got beat 9-2 last year on agg.,Barca 7-1 Leverkusen, the list goes on. The quality gap in the German League is massive, that's the problem.

This season, I expect Leverkusen to be thrashed 6-0 on agg if they finished 2nd in group. Schalke won't even finish in 3rd place. Dortmund will either crash out in R16 or Quarters at best.

Bayern aside, though, KDB has probably been the best player in the Bundes Liga this season, though.He's definitely the star of that Wolfsburg team.

The 3 or 4 times i've seen him play for Wolfsburg since he signed he's look woeful. Overhitting passes seems to be his forte. Maybe my small sample size is unfair on him, but just saying what i've seen.

Sorry to say, but all German teams are poor bar Bayern Munich when it comes down to European competitions. All German sides have been humiliated by English sides this week. Not to mention, in all those games except the Munich game, it wasn't even close.

I don't understand why UEFA still allow 4 German sides in the Champions League. Schalke and Leverkusen are atrocious. Leverkusen got thumped 5-0 by the worst United team in decades at home.

Yes I don't understand why the UEFA coefficient is so high for Germany. Like I said before, all German clubs have always been disappointing except Munich. Yes Dortmund had a freak season few years back when they reached finals, similar to Leverkusen's freak season in 2002. You watch Leverkusen & Dortmund will get thrashed once they hit second round, Dortmund have had a super easy group this season. Leverkusen lost yesterday to Monaco at HOME. Schalke can't even beat Maribor at home. Leverkusen lost 5-0 to the worst Man Utd team in decades at HOME, Schalke got beat 9-2 last year on agg.,Barca 7-1 Leverkusen, the list goes on. The quality gap in the German League is massive, that's the problem.

This season, I expect Leverkusen to be thrashed 6-0 on agg if they finished 2nd in group. Schalke won't even finish in 3rd place. Dortmund will either crash out in R16 or Quarters at best.

Why Germany have 4 Champions League spots? Well, when you consider the countries directly below them in the coefficient rankings are Italy, Portugal, France, Russia, Ukraine etc, then it's no surprise that there are 4 Bundesliga clubs (or at least 3 if one gets knocked out in qualifiers) contesting in the Champions League every season. Moreover, the fact that Bayern reached 3 of the last 4 finals helped their coefficients and Dortmund also aided that by reaching the final two seasons ago and the quarter finals last campaign.

The coefficient rankings also take the Europa League results of clubs into account and as long as the German teams keep picking up the wins (here and there apart from Bayern and Dortmund, who are bound to do it more consistently) and clubs from Italy, Portugal, France etc keep on failing miserably, Germany will remain having 4 Champions League spots for a long time.

The 3 or 4 times i've seen him play for Wolfsburg since he signed he's look woeful. Overhitting passes seems to be his forte. Maybe my small sample size is unfair on him, but just saying what i've seen.

Don't know where he's at now, but if I'm not mistake, before the last international break, KDB had the second most assists in all of Europe behind only Cesc.

Comparing English and German clubs in last 4 seasons of Champions league both won it once, German side had 2 more finalists, English side just one. In semifinals German side was 5 times, English side just 3, in Quarter finals German side 6 times, English side 6 times... and so on... you'll see that they're even better than English clubs. So I could ask the same thing.

Why the UEFA coefficient is so high for England?

Also Schalke was in semifinal in 2010/11 season. This season they played 1-1 on Stamford Bridge.

Also, in the last 3 years there were only two clubs from England and Germany in quarterfinals. (Chelsea, Manu, Bayern, Dortmund)

If you look in last 4 years you can add Spurs and Schalke.

If you look in last 5 years you can add Arsenal. (last 5 seasons matters for UEFA coefficient)

They get smashed sometimes, but that you can say even for Barca, Real or Bayern. Reading your post someone would say that Premier League is way above Bundesliga, and the fact is that difference between is just cca 2,5 points in coefficient. And in next 2 seasons they could even reach Premier League.

In fact, Premier League has that 2,5 points more because English clubs were better in Europa League in last 5 seasons.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Bundesliga, I enjoy watching Premier League, but the quality gap is not even close as you want it to show.

Comparing English and German clubs in last 4 seasons of Champions league both won it once, German side had 2 more finalists, English side just one. In semifinals German side was 5 times, English side just 3, in Quarter finals German side 6 times, English side 6 times... and so on... you'll see that they're even better than English clubs. So I could ask the same thing.

Why the UEFA coefficient is so high for England?

Also Schalke was in semifinal in 2010/11 season. This season they played 1-1 on Stamford Bridge.

Also, in the last 3 years there were only two clubs from England and Germany in quarterfinals. (Chelsea, Manu, Bayern, Dortmund)

If you look in last 4 years you can add Spurs and Schalke.

If you look in last 5 years you can add Arsenal. (last 5 seasons matters for UEFA coefficient)

They get smashed sometimes, but that you can say even for Barca, Real or Bayern. Reading your post someone would say that Premier League is way above Bundesliga, and the fact is that difference between is just cca 2,5 points in coefficient. And in next 2 seasons they could even reach Premier League.

In fact, Premier League has that 2,5 points more because English clubs were better in Europa League in last 5 seasons.

Edit: Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Bundesliga, I enjoy watching Premier League, but the quality gap is not even close as you want it to show.

It doesn't matter what team reached Semis and what not, but if you look at the history of the Champions League, only 2 German clubs have won it, one being obviously Munich and the other is Dortmund 1997.

That Schalke semi final doesn't mean much when they get thrashed in the semis 6-1 on agg. That 1-1 at the Bridge was a freak result.

Just look at it this way, Wolfsburg are currently ranked 2nd in their league and Everton are ranked 9th in the English League. The team that are currently 9th beat a team that is 2nd in another league in both home & AWAY, what does that tell you about the quality of the German sides?

I remember reading Match magazine in 2004 and they once dedicated two pages to the coach Roman bought for us, all luxury..mod cons etc.

That article is only judging the outside of the coaches, i.e.. the paint work.

It doesn't matter what team reached Semis and what not, but if you look at the history of the Champions League, only 2 German clubs have won it, one being obviously Munich and the other is Dortmund 1997.

That Schalke semi final doesn't mean much when they get thrashed in the semis 6-1 on agg. That 1-1 at the Bridge was a freak result.

Just look at it this way, Wolfsburg are currently ranked 2nd in their league and Everton are ranked 9th in the English League. The team that are currently 9th beat a team that is 2nd in another league in both home & AWAY, what does that tell you about the quality of the German sides?

And if I look at the history of the Champions League, only 3 English clubs have won it, thats just one more. (Until Chelsea it was also 2)

I watched the game against Wolfsburg yesterday and Wolfsburg was way better team on the pitch. and that are just 2 games, that doesn't mean nothing.

I could say the same when Dortmund won 2-0 against Arsenal.

You keep talking about what matters and what doesn't and about some 'freak' results. I gave you arguments and valid informations.

I saw nothing of that in your posts.

And if I look at the history of the Champions League, only 3 English clubs have won it, thats just one more. (Until Chelsea it was also 2)

I watched the game against Wolfsburg yesterday and Wolfsburg was way better team on the pitch. and that are just 2 games, that doesn't mean nothing.

I could say the same when Dortmund won 2-0 against Arsenal.

You keep talking about what matters and what doesn't and about some 'freak' results. I gave you arguments and valid informations.

I saw nothing of that in your posts.

I was talking about it in the entire history, even including the European Cup. Man Utd, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Chelsea, Aston Villa all have won the European/Champions league. That is 5 teams. Only Dortmund & Munich have won for Germany.

Also on the point of Wolfsburg,I feel that people get the wrong idea when it comes down to attacking football and teams creating chances but not taking them. The better team on the pitch is simply the one with more goals, end of. You don't have to play attacking football to be known as a good team. Just look how we won the UCL in 2012. Everton that game were very clinical and took all their chances, they deserved the win.

The problem with Bundesliga, their overall coefficient is misleading. It doesn't take into account what Leverkusen and Schalke (3rd and 4th teams) position in the UCL. These teams are always crashing out of the UCL losing by 5+ goals by better teams. The whole UEFA coefficient thing for Germany is always going up because of ONE team's performance, which is Bayern Munich and this is enabling lesser able Europa League quality sides like Schalke, Leverkusen to compete.

I was talking about it in the entire history, even including the European Cup. Man Utd, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Chelsea, Aston Villa all have won the European/Champions league. That is 5 teams. Only Dortmund & Munich have won for Germany.

Also on the point of Wolfsburg,I feel that people get the wrong idea when it comes down to attacking football and teams creating chances but not taking them. The better team on the pitch is simply the one with more goals, end of. You don't have to play attacking football to be known as a good team. Just look how we won the UCL in 2012. Everton that game were very clinical and took all their chances, they deserved the win.

The problem with Bundesliga, their overall coefficient is misleading. It doesn't take into account what Leverkusen and Schalke (3rd and 4th teams) position in the UCL. These teams are always crashing out of the UCL losing by 5+ goals by better teams. The whole UEFA coefficient thing for Germany is always going up because of ONE team's performance, which is Bayern Munich and this is enabling lesser able Europa League quality sides like Schalke, Leverkusen to compete.

Then you've forgot Hamburg (HSV) who won it in 1983.

There is no point in continuing this argument. I'll just qoute you again when we see how many clubs from Germany and England advanced to knockout stages, and later to quarter finals.

p.s. I agree with you that Premier League has more quality, but the gap between is not that big, especially not in the last few years...

Then you've forgot Hamburg (HSV) who won it in 1983.

There is no point in continuing this argument. I'll just qoute you again when we see how many clubs from Germany and England advanced to knockout stages, and later to quarter finals.

p.s. I agree with you that Premier League has more quality, but the gap between is not that big, especially not in the last few years...

OK then, that's 3 German sides, still less than other leagues. Fair enough, you can quote all you want in the future stages of the UCL this season.

When it comes down to German and English sides advancing to knockout stages, I think it'd be the same. Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea for England, don't see City going through. Leverkusen, Dortmund, Munich advancing for Germany. We'll see where Arsenal and Liverpool get up to. I can assure you, Leverkusen will crash out 2nd round and Dortmund may make Quarters at most. Munich on the other hand will crash out in the Semis.