Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

At Genk in his last season he was in the form of his career back then playing CM in a 4-4-2 if I remember correctly. He was pulling outstanding performances. The notion that it's a fantasy that KDB can play in CM isn't a fantasy. He's done it before, and he's done it well.

yeah, but how much does it count? I mean to be a CM in Belgian league is one thing, to be it on Premier League is something completely different, don't you think? Ramires was a DM - not only a CM or a B2B, but a DM player in Brazil and he couldn't handle the physicality in EPL in his first season, which is one of the things that led him to struggle a lot and he ended up evolving into a B2B player. Being a CM or a DM in a league like EPL requires you to really excel in the position in lighter leagues.

Our problem in the pivot is partially balanced by Oscar moving deeper as often as he does. Every time he does it, it feels like we're playing 4-3-3 instead of 4-2-3-1, so he makes up for Ramires horrible passing and Mikel's lack of vision - strengthening the pivot without playing there.

I want to see Kev playing, I'm one of the people who wants it more, but I'd love for it to be in the wing. As you're providing now info I didn't have and adding what TorontoChelsea and Stingray said previously, I guess that we could do some testing replacing Lamps maybe, but he would have to tackle, intercept, run and press more than Ramires. If the preferable partnership is Mikel or Ramires + Lamps, I'd replace him for Lamps, but right now we would need to have a first class partnership to displace Mikel/Ramires. They're much better than any combo involving Lamps because of the solid defending and midfield occupation and domination. As I said the letdown is their passing and vision, but for as long as Oscar drops to help, it's worked around with.

KDB showed much promises during the pre-season games. Suddenly, he is not playing, as promised.

One may ask, why ? Perhaps, Jose´s new project has a lot to do with it ?

I assume, KDB will be playing against bombastic Swindon. After all, even Mata has to prove himself to Jose all over again.

Although he would probably do good as a CM, it's just not a good idea to waste his marvelous crosses from the wing. He's been so crucial with them for the NT this last year, he kind of took everyone by surprise. A year ago he was a decent substitute, now he's practically one of the first names on the teamsheet together with Courtois, Kompany and Witsel.

If that's the case, i have no worry about him. This is only the beginning of the season.

I am confident he will get at least 10-15 starts and about as much appearances off the bench and that is if (hopefully) Oscar manages to stay fit all season. Kevin is quality, and you don't fear for players that have quality because eventually it will show.

At Genk in his last season he was in the form of his career back then playing CM in a 4-4-2 if I remember correctly. He was pulling outstanding performances. The notion that it's a fantasy that KDB can play in CM isn't a fantasy. He's done it before, and he's done it well.

Except you don't remember correctly. I don't have positional data in his season, but I can look at his 4 CL games and in every single one, he played on the left hand side as an attacking midfielder/winger. Not one single game in the centre. I doubt that was done only for the CL either. If you can find data that shows him playing central midfield that year, I'd love to see it. I do believe he played some central midfield the year before but

1) That was 3 years ago in the Belgian league.

2) His best play has come as an attacking midfielder. It's where he was productive for Bremen, it's where he plays for Belgium. It's where he's played for Chelsea. The reason he's at Chelsea is his play at attacking midfield, not what he did at central midfield on a few occasions a few years back.

3) He is an awful defensive player who had a passing percentage of under 80% last season. That simply does not translate into a good central midfield player. His best attributes are setting up scoring chances and crossing which would be wasted in the centre anyway.

As I said, De Bruyne as a central midfielder is a fantasy by people who want to force a starting XI with the players they want in the lineup. .

Except you don't remember correctly. I don't have positional data in his season, but I can look at his 4 CL games and in every single one, he played on the left hand side as an attacking midfielder/winger. Not one single game in the centre. I doubt that was done only for the CL either. If you can find data that shows him playing central midfield that year, I'd love to see it. I do believe he played some central midfield the year before but

1) That was 3 years ago in the Belgian league.

2) His best play has come as an attacking midfielder. It's where he was productive for Bremen, it's where he plays for Belgium. It's where he's played for Chelsea. The reason he's at Chelsea is his play at attacking midfield, not what he did at central midfield on a few occasions a few years back.

3) He is an awful defensive player who had a passing percentage of under 80% last season. That simply does not translate into a good central midfield player. His best attributes are setting up scoring chances and crossing which would be wasted in the centre anyway.

As I said, De Bruyne as a central midfielder is a fantasy by people who want to force a starting XI with the players they want in the lineup. .

I distinctly remember watching a Genk game when he was on loan there from us where he played at central midfield.

I think he can play at central midfield if needed, but I don't think we need to have this discussion because I believe Jose wants him to play the number ten role as Oscar's rotation option.

I distinctly remember watching a Genk game when he was on loan there from us where he played at central midfield.

I think he can play at central midfield if needed, but I don't think we need to have this discussion because I believe Jose wants him to play the number ten role as Oscar's rotation option.

Jose has clearly stated that Mata will be played on the wing henceforth, which probably means that Kevin will be Oscar's replacement when we need to rest and rotate him.

Jose said Mata would play RW prior to the Willian acquisition.

I don't think KDB is Oscar sub, more like Mata is Oscar's sub and Willian will eventually over RW.

Jose said Mata would play RW prior to the Willian acquisition.

I don't think KDB is Oscar sub, more like Mata is Oscar's sub and Willian will eventually over RW.

No he said it before and after the Fulham game on Saturday.

KDB showed much promises during the pre-season games. Suddenly, he is not playing, as promised.

One may ask, why ? Perhaps, Jose´s new project has a lot to do with it ?

I assume, KDB will be playing against bombastic Swindon. After all, even Mata has to prove himself to Jose all over again.

That's an unfair assumption. I take you back to Marin's first pre-season. He was being, rightly so too, praised by all of us because he really was performing well.. He was crossing well and also displaying a talent for dribbling past the full-backs. Then when it came to the actual season, he couldn't replicate that.

That's an unfair assumption. I take you back to Marin's first pre-season. He was being, rightly so too, praised by all of us because he really was performing well.. He was crossing well and also displaying a talent for dribbling past the full-backs. Then when it came to the actual season, he couldn't replicate that.

Personally, I am not much interested in Marin. More interested in KDB & his progress at Chelsea. Certainly, he was promised to play, but somehow he just sits around.

Personally, I am not much interested in Marin. More interested in KDB & his progress at Chelsea. Certainly, he was promised to play, but somehow he just sits around.

It's not about Marin himself though. It's the point that just because someone looks brilliant in pre-season it doesn't necessarily translate to replicating that form when it comes to the main season itself. KdB has shown that he can make that work for him though, but Mourinho's still undecided on his best XI so it's not the right time to suggest he doesn't fit with Jose's new project.

It's not about Marin himself though. It's the point that just because someone looks brilliant in pre-season it doesn't necessarily translate to replicating that form when it comes to the main season itself. KdB has shown that he can make that work for him though, but Mourinho's still undecided on his best XI so it's not the right time to suggest he doesn't fit with Jose's new project.

What do you propose to suggest, then ? KDB sits around. Jose is still undecided & when do you think he will be ready with his new project ?

he did start two matches and played a few minutes as a sub, which makes it quite the fair rotation. It's called rotation for a reason, it means he gets a few matches, not every match so I agree with you it's unfair not only for the reasons you mentioned, but also because of the chances he's been giving. And he'll probably start tomorrow as well.

I'm one of the people who thinks he deserves more chances, but it's totally unfair to assume he isn't giving any as some people are assuming. He may not be receiving enough, but he's receiving some and so far he's been rotating with André - not Mata or Oscar as also some pointed out - and André has been playing quite good. The thing is Kev has a much better finishing and although he isn't as fast or doesn't have such a nice work-rate, he's creative and has a better cross. So I'd say they're equivalent, only they offer different aspects to the game. But they have strengths that make up for their weaknesses when compared to each other.