Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

Chelsea's best game this season was when we played Hazard-Oscar-De Bruyne with a real striker. After that game, they haven't played together anymore. Real shame and not the right decision in my opinion.

Mourinho said after the Basel-game that they couldn't create a lot of opportunities. Well, if only you had someone on the bench with the perfect abilities for such a problem, don't you José.

I would play Kevin or Oscar in one of the pivot roles alongside Ramires in the next games.

We can't dominate or even compete in any midfield battle with Lampard leaving gaps everywhere.

If the problem is that we can't win the midfield and dominate teams, then the ideal solution is hardly to play an attacking midfielder deeper and give him more defensive duties than he is used to.

The good thing about KDB is he can play any role in midfield, and do it with great succes. He's just one of the most naturally gifted players you'll see in the game.

Still prefer him on one of the flanks though, considering his exceptional crossing. He can still come inside and play one of his famous through balls as well. Plenty of options with him, a lot more than any of the other Chelsea midfielders IMO.

If the problem is that we can't win the midfield and dominate teams, then the ideal solution is hardly to play an attacking midfielder deeper and give him more defensive duties than he is used to.

While that's true, I'd factored in the apparent reluctance Mourinho has to playing Mikel (who would be my first choice for the role with Ramires).

And I think we would dominate possession more against the smaller sides with a metronome player in there.

I would play Kevin or Oscar in one of the pivot roles alongside Ramires in the next games.

We can't dominate or even compete in any midfield battle with Lampard leaving gaps everywhere.

Absolutely. High time we put someone who can pass the ball well in that area of the field. Lampard lacks discipline, ramires' strong point is not passing and mikel/mvg are just "safe" passers.

Besides given our other DMs are bullied around by the likes of Toure, Barkely, Fernandinho, no harm in trying players who will at least contribute in other ways.

Absolutely. High time we put someone who can pass the ball well in that area of the field. Lampard lacks discipline, ramires' strong point is not passing and mikel/mvg are just "safe" passers.

All agreed. Just put in your best players and you'll be guaranteed to dominate play. This is what I would do:

Hazard - Schürrle

De Bruyne - Mata - Oscar - Willian

While that's true, I'd factored in the apparent reluctance Mourinho has to playing Mikel (who would be my first choice for the role with Ramires).

And I think we would dominate possession more against the smaller sides with a metronome player in there.

Don't know about Jose's "reluctance" to play Mikel, he's played more than KDB so far and if the past two games indicate anything is that maybe Jose is starting to realize that we need him, especially against teams with a decent midfield. For me Ramires-Mikel has to be our first choice pair for the pivot.

4) hs the potential to play in the CM as well.

Has he actually played there recently? I mean there's been a lot said about his ability to play there and fix all our problems in this position, but how many times does he actually play there?

Has he actually played there recently? I mean there's been a lot said about his ability to play there and fix all our problems in this position, but how many times does he actually play there?

Well, we played a ton of 4-3-3 this season. Even though Oscar is our #10, the formation usually turns from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3....

I'm not sure if he would do well in a 2 man pivot against pressing teams, however, epl teams cms aren't that good, so I suppose he could....

Yes. With Genk and Bremen - once with the nt.

Yes. With Genk and Bremen - once with the nt.

Not really with Bremen. He played as CM in a 4-3-3 but in reality, he played right behind the striker in a role which would be the #10 in our system and nothing like the central midfield of a 4-2-3-1. Maybe he played CM at Genk, but I don't think in his last year there, he did (I think he played mostly on the wing). The idea of moving De Bruyne to the pivot has always seemed like a fantasy than reality. De Bruyne's game is simply not suited for that position (bad defensively, too low percentage passer). His game is naturally suited for an attacking midfielder.

@mediator. In the Real Madrid match, have a look at De Bruyne's average position. His average position was further forward than any player except Lukaku. (Even further than Torres' position when he came on.) That's not central midfield.

Not really with Bremen. He played as CM in a 4-3-3 but in reality, he played right behind the striker in a role which would be the #10 in our system and nothing like the central midfield of a 4-2-3-1. Maybe he played CM at Genk, but I don't think in his last year there, he did (I think he played mostly on the wing). The idea of moving De Bruyne to the pivot has always seemed like a fantasy than reality. De Bruyne's game is simply not suited for that position (bad defensively, too low percentage passer). His game is naturally suited for an attacking midfielder.

@mediator. In the Real Madrid match, have a look at De Bruyne's average position. His average position was further forward than any player except Lukaku. (Even further than Torres' position when he came on.) That's not central midfield.

thanks for the insight. I've been wanting to read something concrete about his experience as a CM for a while and as I more often than not see the game the same way as you do - even when we disagree about something - I'll take your word on that.