Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

I've watched enough of Kevin to see that his defensive work rate is 10 times that of Lampard. He always tracks back, and despite not putting in fancy sliding tackles, he knows where to position himself and how to defend.Just watch him when he plays as a CM for Bremen, he probably wins the ball back more than any of their midfielders.

I'm not saying he will walk into the DP, but with proper instructions and some time he can be excellent there imo.

That's funny. I've also watched him play at Bremen and I don't see what you see. The stats suggest something completely different as well. His work-rate is 10 times that of Lamps?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/48/

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/73084/

I agree, but there's no harm in giving it a go. Marco Verratti adapted within a year at Pescara to a more defensive role, allbeit in a weak league. He's not the finished article at PSG but if you look at the difference now to then you can tell how much he's improved.

Verratti moved to a deeper role but i definitely would not call his transition a more "defensive role." With Pescara and PSG he plays alongside 2 very formidable defensive + high work rate players, those players are stationed to overcome his defensive duties.

Anyone know Bastian Schweinsteiger inhere? Where did he start his carreer? <_<

KDB can play in the double pivot. He played there in the play-offs with Genk last season... in a flat 442.

In Bremen they play a 433 with 2 attacking midfielders (& 1 DM). KDB does more defending then his partner Hunt though.

He played DM in the national team for about 30 minutes (last 30 of the game), controlling the game, distributing the ball & keeping possesion. If you play possesion game you dont need to do loads of defending. & I guess thats where chelsea wants to go?

I agree he still needs to grow in the defensive part of the game.

That's funny. I've also watched him play at Bremen and I don't see what you see. The stats suggest something completely different as well. His work-rate is 10 times that of Lamps?

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/48/

http://www.whoscored.../Players/73084/

I'm not familiar with whoscored so I honestly have no idea what stats are suggesting otherwise. But I did not say his work-rate is 10 times that of Lamps who is a box to box midfielder and naturally has better work rate. I said his defensive work rate is batter than Lampard. He always tracks back even when he is on the wing. And he knows when to press.

Verratti moved to a deeper role but i definitely would not call his transition a more "defensive role." With Pescara and PSG he plays alongside 2 very formidable defensive + high work rate players, those players are stationed to overcome his defensive duties.

It is a more defensive role. PSG have changed their midfield system numerous times this season, experimenting with him in the double pivot, the outer CM in a 3 man midfield, and the deepest midfielder in a 3 man midfield. Even if stationed alongside more defensive players like Matuidi or more recently, Maxwell, you can't get away with playing in a deeper role and not being defensively adept.

3.3 tackles per game and 2 interceptions per game, along with a high pass completion is not bad reading for someone who is not in a defensive role (according to you). Compared to the accomplished Xabi Alonso; TPG: 3.9 IPG: 2.1. Interceptions being crucial for someone playing as a DLP.

The original reply was to DYC who suggested that a player with high attacking tendencies who is also efficient in the final third doesn't need to be moved to a deeper role. I completely agree in most cases, but was just showing an example where a player has made the transition and has been very effective as a result.

He's a offensive midfielder, not suited to the double pivot at all. He hardly does any defensive work at Bremen.

He makes Lamps look like Vidal and people were complaining about Lampard neglecting his defensive duties and pushing up too much.

Ideally we'd play a three man midfield and have him and Oscar compete for the offensive CM role next year.

It's not true that he "hardly does any defensive work at Bremen". He played in a double pivot on several occassions and never ignored his defensive duties.

That's the same as me saying Mata can play in the double pivot, his current role is just the role he's been asked to play. Kevin has always been a offensive player.

But of course you are allowed to believe he can play in that position.

His best games for his previous club were in the double pivot-role, together with Khaleem Hyland.

An article in the Belgian press saying KDB won't be playing for Werder Bremen next season. He'd like to play for Chelsea, but if he's not up to the job yet, he won't come over to warm the bench but will play for another Premier League team, he says.

http://www.sporza.be..._De_Bruyne_Bild

Edit: It even says he has an agreement with Chelsea that says next year he'll play for an EPL team, if not Chelsea then he'll get a loan to an EPL team. Not sure how official this agreement is, article doesn't say. Could be in his contract, could also just be something that was said but not official...

I'm not familiar with whoscored so I honestly have no idea what stats are suggesting otherwise. But I did not say his work-rate is 10 times that of Lamps who is a box to box midfielder and naturally has better work rate. I said his defensive work rate is batter than Lampard. He always tracks back even when he is on the wing. And he knows when to press.

I understood what you said. When you click on the defensive tab, you can see their stats for tackles, interceptions etc and they are similar, which is of course impossible if Kevin truly did have a far higher defensive work-rate.

The original reply was to DYC who suggested that a player with high attacking tendencies who is also efficient in the final third doesn't need to be moved to a deeper role. I completely agree in most cases, but was just showing an example where a player has made the transition and has been very effective as a result.

Not going to replay to the rest of your post, don't feel you have seen much of Verratti and PSG games.

Verratti was turned into a Regista/DLP because in Italian tactics he is more suited for a Regista/DLP role then Trequartista/CAM position. In Italy their number 10s plays like a second striker and are very attack natured examples like Del Piero, Baggio, Totti, Cassano, etc. While it is not the same in other popular football nations, the CAM is played deeper and act as a distributor in the final third.

There is also a significant difference between Verratti and De Bruyne playing style, Verratti is barely to never directly involved in PSG goals and his play making contribution don't show up in the stat sheet. De Bruyne is all about movement dropping deep at times to build up attacks and then moving into attacking/finishing area. He has been directly involved in a lot Bremen goals and is great in getting into good attacking positions, for me he is a CM/AM hybrid best position is in the hole or CM in 4-3-3.

Beside the defensive aspect another concern i have with KDB in the pivot is that he is way too aggressive and adventurous with his passing. Careless is another way i would describe it.

Not going to replay to the rest of your post, don't feel you have seen much of Verratti and PSG games.

Verratti was turned into a Regista/DLP because in Italian tactics he is more suited for a Regista/DLP role then Trequartista/CAM position. In Italy their number 10s plays like a second striker and are very attack natured examples like Del Piero, Baggio, Totti, Cassano, etc. While it is not the same in other popular football nations, the CAM is played deeper and act as a distributor in the final third.

I am aware of why he made the transition to a deeper role. Maybe I let my bias influence the choice of example to compare to KdB.

There is also a significant difference between Verratti and De Bruyne playing style, Verratti is barely to never directly involved in PSG goals and his play making contribution don't show up in the stat sheet. De Bruyne is all about movement dropping deep at times to build up attacks and then moving into attacking/finishing area. He has been directly involved in a lot Bremen goals and is great in getting into good attacking positions, for me he is a CM/AM hybrid best position is in the hole or CM in 4-3-3.

Beside the defensive aspect another concern i have with KDB in the pivot is that he is way too aggressive and adventurous with his passing. Careless is another way i would describe it.

I didn't once compare them as players. Just an example of a player in an advanced role moving to a deeper one. Albeit Verratti is more suited to it than De Bruyne. I also didn't say that he must play in the pivot when he returns, just that it could be an option in the future. Given the quality we have in the attacking third, I wouldn't be surprised if they do try to mould him into the role.

On a side note, I'm going to ignore your thinly veiled 'you don't know what you're talking about' comment. If you don't agree with someone, fair enough. But to dismiss their credibility on a subject, really?

Well, At least De Bruyne is doing good today....

We should seriously think about getting him back in January. He bosses the midfield now!

He should finish his loan spell....but he is tempting right now.

He is definitely ready to join the side we have at this point in time.