Paul Pogba

Madmax

To make money.

The academy doesn't really make money. I think you're confusing that with our tactic of buying young players and loaning them which is partly to make money.

The academy covers it's costs and that's about it.

Out of 100 players hoping for 2 to be world class LOL? The rests are to be sold off eventually. Obviously if you try to go for 100 talented youngsters a couple will eventually be a Courtois/Hazard and the rest can be sold. I don't think the academy means anything more than that nowadays, the chance of club getting a player like Baker in the team is next to 0 unless he does a Pogba on loan.

So how much should we sell Chalobah and Loftus-Cheek for?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The academy doesn't really make money. I think you're confusing that with our tactic of buying young players and loaning them which is partly to make money.

The academy covers it's costs and that's about it.

Eventually selling those academy players with all the potential you speak of.

But don't you want to see us produce another John Terry? Surely you remember how you felt when he came into the team, don't you?

I know I sound cynical, but I'm just observing the way we operate as a club.

None yet because if we do now they would probably be 5m max for both. However, wait a couple of years and if Chalobah doesn't impress extremely(yes have to be extremely aka Courtois level, even Lukaku OK level is not good enough) it depends on him then he will be sold accordingly then if he wants to leave. He could either become a Clyne and be sold for 5-10m permanently or a Josh which is now almost worth nothing. Same applies with Loftus-Cheek. You might not like to hear this but it is the truth and imo what will happen in the future.

Come on, you probably watched Juve more than all of us. I've watched quite a few matches and while I think the kid is good and promising, I don't think he's out of this world as some are making him out to be.

What's your take on him?

Well, I got crucified the other day for making this post but I stick by it:

Pogba has the potential to become the best central midfielder in the world and certainly one of the best players in the world. But he's still got a long way to go. Right now, for most people who don't watch Serie A and Juve regularly, they see a couple of performances where Paul is world class and is the best player on the pitch, and he's certainly capable of producing those performances, but they don't see the performances where he's less than impressive. He's simply far too inconsistent at the moment. Yes, he's had some world class performances, but he's also had some pretty bad ones, some even in big games (Galatasaray away springs to mind). And while at Juve he can afford to make mistakes and have bad performances, he can't do that here.

That's why I would not want Pogba here this summer. I think we need someone who's over 25 and who has the maturity and consistency even if he does not have Paul's raw talent.

As good as the kid is, I think Real are insane to be offering 65m and if people are expecting a finished article, they're in for a surprise.

As good as the kid is, I think Real are insane to be offering 65m and if people are expecting a finished article, they're in for a surprise.

Were Hazard or Oscar finished articles when we bought them? No. Look at how they've developed.

For the past few years Chelsea have been in the business of purchasing elite young talent to feature in their first team. That pattern fits perfectly with the pursuit of a player like Pogba.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me the name of one player world class or otherwise that can produce consistent A level football week in week out. The fact that Pogba is producing world class football at 21 even if its sporadic is a good thing! His best years are ahead of him.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me the name of one player world class or otherwise that can produce consistent A level football week in week out. The fact that Pogba is producing world class football at 21 even if its sporadic is a good thing! His best years are ahead of him.

Vidal, Modric, Alonso :P that is about it, maybe Bastian, Javi Martinez and Iniesta. But that is about it for me, it is a very small pool. That is why these players are considered best players in the world in their positions-they do it well consistently.

They need a few successful loan spells before we can sell them.

I'm not entirely convinced both will get any loans. Chalobah doesn't need another loan to the Championship and I'm not 100% convinced Loftus-Cheek will be.

Were Hazard or Oscar finished articles when we bought them? No. Look at how they've developed.

For the past few years Chelsea have been in the business of purchasing elite young talent to feature in their first team. That pattern fits perfectly with the pursuit of a player like Pogba.

Not for €65 million. Courtois didn't cost that. Lukaku didn't cost that. Oscar didn't cost that. Schurrle didn't cost that. Salah didn't cost that.

No-one i doubting his ability but the price is just so far beyond the pale.

Not for €65 million. Courtois didn't cost that. Lukaku didn't cost that. Oscar didn't cost that. Schurrle didn't cost that. Salah didn't cost that.

Hype is the reason. Basically him banging 3-4 goals in from distance every season does that :P same with Bale. But yh I agree 65m is wayyyyyyyy too much.

Vidal, Modric, Alonso :P that is about it, maybe Bastian, Javi Martinez and Iniesta. But that is about it for me, it is a very small pool. That is why these players are considered best players in the world in their positions-they do it well consistently.

But they really don't do it consistently do they?

Can't stand the obsessed with bringing up academy players crowd. We're not Borussia Dortmund. We have the ability to buy world class players instead of being forced to bring up young players...so we do.

Do you want to compete for EPL titles and CL titles or do you want to integrate youth players all the time FFS?

If RLC, or Ake, or McEachran, or Chalobah were at all close to the level of players like Pogba we'd be playing them instead of buying other players.

It's not a difficult concept to understand. So stop bitching about not giving academy players a chance unless you want to trade in competing for titles.

haven't seen this before, Chou Chou. This thread moves way too fast to read everything, but I appreciate and agree with your view

Well I may have watched some of the matches he was less than impressive which is why I said he had ups and downs and I was under the impression he went a few weeks in a row without producing his A game, alternating average, barely above average and bad matches in that span of time.

I'd pay at him at most 30m, and it doesn't matter if in 3 years he's worth 3x and we can't buy him... I'm sure we can find some other great midfielder to come improve our team. I don't think we're desperate to one, I think we need a good player - said it just a couple of days ago in some other thread - but I don't think we need to make as much an investment in someone like him.

The price is high, you are right. But you have to take a serious look at the market and realize it is changing for good. Luiz being bought for 50m is a perfect example of this.

The problem with Pogba is that he is already a top midfielder on the world stage and Juve know this.

Either we adapt and start paying more for players, or we don't and start getting used to more trophyless seasons like this one.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You