Paul Pogba

Madmax

Pogba would be homegrown if we signed him right?

Not sure about that. Checked wikipedia and it says there he joined Man United in October 2009 and like we all know he left for Juve in June 2012, which makes his stay in England less than 36 months.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because whining about something when you are apart of the problem is stupid. FFP was implemented to stop teams like Chelsea, City, PSG from driving up market prices... Chelsea agreed to FFP because it basically safeguards them against another team doing exactly what they've done.

Torres was not out of desperation, the owner simply liked him and wanted him... there was nothing desperate about it, luxury buy at its finest.

I really hate when people paint each player from another league with the same brush. I mean its the stupidest argument that can be made... "Player X didn't do well in the Prem so there's no guarantee Player Y will either" Let me tell you something Muzchap, there is no guarantee on ANYTHING, Messi could come here and fail. It has nothing to do with the league just the make up of the player, some adjust and others don't.

What exactly does the club stand for again? I mean according to you of course?

If you can come up with one name that wouldn't be a gamble I would love to hear it. No transfer comes without inherit risk... You basically hedge your bets against risk vs reward and quite honestly, Pogba is the type of player I'd like to see the club gamble on. If he reaches his potential we have a Yaya Toure type figure at the club for maybe 10+ seasons.

I don't want Shaw at £30m, no one knows what Pogba is valued at, I've seen £50m which I wouldn't hesitate to pay. Costa at 32m is not bad if he works out to be the player we need. Chelsea spent 31m on Willian, 20m on Schurrle, 8m on Van Ginkel, 5.5m on Atsu... That was considered a slow summer for Chelsea and we spent something like 63M.... 80M is not a huge amount of money for this club.

Ok - my view (and just my view)

A) I'm not whining - I'm making a statement

B) I have been around long enough to know nothing is guaranteed - so my point is why spend €65 million if nothing is guaranteed? We seem to be falling into the trap that money spent = success - yes it does to a certain extent but like anything there is a natural saturation point...

C) We have invested in a lot of youth and spent considerable sums on a youth Academy that is now bearing fruit - why can't we explore that avenue - yes it's the same risk, but a risk that doesn't cost €65 million - so in essence it's a better risk

I can't name any guaranteed player

Chelsea's philosophy IMHO is to buy young talent cheap and sell high - to balance the books and try to promote youth - now we have a poor record of this, but I do genuinely believe that is the clubs ambition...

Not looking for an argument or anything - that's just my opinion - formed over a number of years and few thousand posts ;)

Shaw is not a 'lock'. He's a massive gamble. Pogba at more than twice that price is also a massive gamble.

I'm still intrigued by your use of the phrase 'hedging your bets' when you're talking about committing so much money towards Pogba.

As for my bias towards English players, I think we need an English core at this club. I also like Shaw for purely sentimental reasons as well, which I've never really denied.

I can only go on what I've seen and for me Pogba is about to be one of the best midfielders in the world. I can't say that about Shaw or Chalobah that's why I'm willing to hedge my bet on him. You seem to be hell bent on English talent being the backbone of the club regardless of whether or not that talent is even close to good enough for a top 5 club in the World.

Top 5 clubs need world class talent, if you can say with a straight face that Chalobah is close to being as good as Pogba I would like to know where you see the evidence?

Chalobah who is currently struggling to be a consistent player in the championship is the guy we should hedge our bets on guys. He will come back to Chelsea and save us money(which clearly isn't even required) and perform better than he did at Middlesborough because he's English and that good.

Why spend 50m on Pogba who is considered the next Yaya when we don't have to spend a penny on Chalobah and Tiago???

LOL

Is 'hedge our bets' some kind of phrase of the day or something?

Chalobah hasn't just been around for the last six months. At Watford he was one of the best players in the Championship. He's been voted England young player of the year. He was a star in our FA Youth Cup team up against a certain Paul Pogba....the same Paul Pogba who left to go to Juve at roughly the same age Nat is now for a tiny fee before erupting into this amazing player.

So if you want to tell me that Nat Chalobah doesn't have what it takes to be a top level player for us then that's fine. I'll trust your analytical abilities. If the same goes for Ruben Loftus-Cheek then maybe there's a strong impetus for us to invest what is a large sum in a player like Pogba. But if the club thinks they can develop a player of similar quality in-house then there's a good reason not to take such a large gamble.

If we signed Shaw, Pogba, and Costa we'd dominate and win this league at a canter.

If we signed just Costa and gave the youngsters a chance whilst bringing in someone like Tiago we'd win the league too. I can't prove that, just like you can't prove your assertion, but I strongly think we're not that far off being the best team around already.

Send Chalobah, RLC, Lew Baker, Bamford, etc to bottom table Prem sides for a season or two and see if they're ready. In the mean time we need players who are proven at the highest level and can help us win NOW.

The highest level isn't Serie A and the Europa League. We should send Pogba on loan too, just to make sure.

So a guy on twitter says we can afford £150 million

Great - does that include/exclude wages?

And it's a little fishy, this guy knowing the exact transfer budget, which is a closely guarded secret?

I mean you can't keep Roman out of the press talking about budgets, transfer kitty's etc ;) oh hang on....;)

I can only go on what I've seen and for me Pogba is about to be one of the best midfielders in the world. I can't say that about Shaw or Chalobah that's why I'm willing to hedge my bet on him. You seem to be hell bent on English talent being the backbone of the club regardless of whether or not that talent is even close to good enough for a top 5 club in the World.

Top 5 clubs need world class talent, if you can say with a straight face that Chalobah is close to being as good as Pogba I would like to know where you see the evidence?

THAT'S NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO USE THAT PHRASE. Stop saying hedge your bets unless you actually mean hedge your bets. What you actually mean to say is 'go all in' which is the complete fucking opposite of hedging your bets. It couldn't be further away from what you mean to say if you tried.

You could literally mash the keyboard with your fists and it would probably produce something more apt than saying 'hedge your bets'. OK?

No offence.

Phew.....right.

As for Chalobah, I've never really failed to be impressed by him. I've been a fan of his since his days in the youth team and at Watford he looked a very special player. In fact if you're looking for a player to be like Yaya Toure then it's probably Nat. He has that laconic style that Yaya has whereas Pogba is a lot more agile and fleet of foot.

But I would back Nat Chalobah to step up if given the chance. There's a reason the club gave him such a big contract and the belief amongst the coaches seems to be there too. It's also not just him, but Loftus-Cheek too.

Spending €65 million on a 21 year old when we have similar players aged 19 and 18 just strikes me as a little silly. That's double what we spent on Hazard for instance, more than four times what we spent on Lukaku and three times what we spent on Courtois and Azpilicueta COMBINED.

I don't quite get the ease with which people can find themselves with such spending.

Ok - my view (and just my view)

A) I'm not whining - I'm making a statement

B) I have been around long enough to know nothing is guaranteed - so my point is why spend €65 million if nothing is guaranteed? We seem to be falling into the trap that money spent = success - yes it does to a certain extent but like anything there is a natural saturation point...

C) We have invested in a lot of youth and spent considerable sums on a youth Academy that is now bearing fruit - why can't we explore that avenue - yes it's the same risk, but a risk that doesn't cost €65 million - so in essence it's a better risk

I can't name any guaranteed player

Chelsea's philosophy IMHO is to buy young talent cheap and sell high - to balance the books and try to promote youth - now we have a poor record of this, but I do genuinely believe that is the clubs ambition...

Not looking for an argument or anything - that's just my opinion - formed over a number of years and few thousand posts ;)

i don't think Chelsea have come anywhere NEAR the saturation point! We don't even have a striker or a proper functioning midfield. The teams that do well do so by spending, City won the league, Real won Europe, Bayern ran away with Germany. The common thread is money invested...

The youth academy hasn't given us any fruit as yet. Until we can see players break into the squad and play regularly it can't be considered working. Its a very tough squad to break into because in my head Chelsea is about winning, not developing players. We use the youth as a means to develop and sell on but integrating them into the first team hasn't been a practice of this Chelsea at all... I agree it has to change but that will have to be a gradual change.

I player like Paul Pogba is a threat to many of our young players because he looks every bit like a world beater and that would mean less opportunities for them. Thats why everyone who values our youth set up seem so threatened by acquiring a player of that magnitude. Me, I just want the best players at the squad, I'm attached to the badge, names come and go all the time.

Chalobah hasn't just been around for the last six months. At Watford he was one of the best players in the Championship. He's been voted England young player of the year. He was a star in our FA Youth Cup team up against a certain Paul Pogba....the same Paul Pogba who left to go to Juve at roughly the same age Nat is now for a tiny fee before erupting into this amazing player.

So if you want to tell me that Nat Chalobah doesn't have what it takes to be a top level player for us then that's fine. I'll trust your analytical abilities. If the same goes for Ruben Loftus-Cheek then maybe there's a strong impetus for us to invest what is a large sum in a player like Pogba. But if the club thinks they can develop a player of similar quality in-house then there's a good reason not to take such a large gamble.

If we signed just Costa and gave the youngsters a chance whilst bringing in someone like Tiago we'd win the league too. I can't prove that, just like you can't prove your assertion, but I strongly think we're not that far off being the best team around already.

The highest level isn't Serie A and the Europa League. We should send Pogba on loan too, just to make sure.

It's not just playing in Serie A and the Europa League. It's starting for one of the world's biggest clubs, winning titles, and playing against some of Europe's elite sides. None if which our kids have done.

So this is the link from Jake Cohen

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/5/12/5707484/chelsea-ffp-earnings-set-to-increase-30-percent-to-340m

So his analysis is that we are compliant in the 2013-14 season and can therefore go gangbusters now - and take a hit in 14-15 season...

I just don't see it - but I'm happy to be proven wrong - as long as it benefits the club :)

THAT'S NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO USE THAT PHRASE. Stop saying hedge your bets unless you actually mean hedge your bets. What you actually mean to say is 'go all in' which is the complete fucking opposite of hedging your bets. It couldn't be further away from what you mean to say if you tried.

You could literally mash the keyboard with your fists and it would probably produce something more apt than saying 'hedge your bets'. OK?

No offence.

Phew.....right.

As for Chalobah, I've never really failed to be impressed by him. I've been a fan of his since his days in the youth team and at Watford he looked a very special player. In fact if you're looking for a player to be like Yaya Toure then it's probably Nat. He has that laconic style that Yaya has whereas Pogba is a lot more agile and fleet of foot.

But I would back Nat Chalobah to step up if given the chance. There's a reason the club gave him such a big contract and the belief amongst the coaches seems to be there too. It's also not just him, but Loftus-Cheek too.

Spending €65 million on a 21 year old when we have similar players aged 19 and 18 just strikes me as a little silly. That's double what we spent on Hazard for instance, more than four times what we spent on Lukaku and three times what we spent on Courtois and Azpilicueta COMBINED.

I don't quite get the ease with which people can find themselves with such spending.

hedge your bet means protecting yourself against making a poor choice. Pogba vs Chalobah or Tiago....

i don't think Chelsea have come anywhere NEAR the saturation point! We don't even have a striker or a proper functioning midfield. The teams that do well do so by spending, City won the league, Real won Europe, Bayern ran away with Germany. The common thread is money invested...

Real also won La Liga didn't they? They spent the most money after all.

Me, I just want the best players at the squad, I'm attached to the badge, names come and go all the time.

Which badge? The commemorative ones we release if we win a trophy?

I think you'll just have to forgive us sentimental types who get attached to names like Osgood, Bentley, Lampard and Terry and want to see the next ones come through.

Maybe we shouldn't bother with names on shirts anymore though. Just have transfer fees.

Someone should change this thread title to Mr €65 Million.

A midfield of €65 Million and £21 million would be amazing.

hedge your bet means protecting yourself against making a poor choice. Pogba vs Chalobah or Tiago....

In a betting sense it would actually mean spreading the bet rather than going all in on 1 horse. I don't see how putting all this money on Pogba is in any way 'hedging your bets'.

Was buying Torres in 2011 hedging our bets? No. Buying 3 strikers who cost a combined £50 million would be closer.

Bottom line is if they're good enough they will play. There will be nothing keeping them from breaking in IF they are good enough to play for a top club... If they end up being as good as Pogba then its a good problem to have, it means we have the ability to move someone for an incredible transfer kitty and keep the best one.

Real also won La Liga didn't they? They spent the most money after all.

Which badge? The commemorative ones we release if we win a trophy?

I think you'll just have to forgive us sentimental types who get attached to names like Osgood, Bentley, Lampard and Terry and want to see the next ones come through.

Maybe we shouldn't bother with names on shirts anymore though. Just have transfer fees.

Someone should change this thread title to Mr €65 Million.

A midfield of €65 Million and £21 million would be amazing.

In a betting sense it would actually mean spreading the bet rather than going all in on 1 horse. I don't see how putting all this money on Pogba is in any way 'hedging your bets'.

Was buying Torres in 2011 hedging our bets? No. Buying 3 strikers who cost a combined £50 million would be closer.

If they're good enough they will play.

The youth academy hasn't given us any fruit as yet. Until we can see players break into the squad and play regularly it can't be considered working. Its a very tough squad to break into because in my head Chelsea is about winning, not developing players. We use the youth as a means to develop and sell on but integrating them into the first team hasn't been a practice of this Chelsea at all... I agree it has to change but that will have to be a gradual change.

I player like Paul Pogba is a threat to many of our young players because he looks every bit like a world beater and that would mean less opportunities for them. Thats why everyone who values our youth set up seem so threatened by acquiring a player of that magnitude. Me, I just want the best players at the squad, I'm attached to the badge, names come and go all the time.

Fair enough :)

I think we did reach the saturation point of spending £50 million on a bad player ;)

But you are right, that was then, this is now.

I just don't want us to pay that much for a young kid - if he starts badly he will get crucified by the press and the price tag becomes a Damocles sword...

We 'might not have no history lol' - but wouldn't want us to repeat the same mistakes :)

There are other 'cheaper' options available.

As for City - they didn't win convincingly

Bayern - did ok, but added more players than the previous season and DID WORSE!!!

Real Madrid - done well in Europe but didn't win the league, so spent more and improved little..

So out of those 3 big spending clubs - they didn't actually do that well all considering... Hence my point about spending not equaling success ;) or should I rephrase to ' Domination' ;)

Bottom line is if they're good enough they will play. There will be nothing keeping them from breaking in IF they are good enough to play for a top club... If they end up being as good as Pogba then its a good problem to have, it means we have the ability to move someone for an incredible transfer kitty and keep the best one.

So the €60 million player ahead of them won't stop them? There won't be a financial prerogative to give this guy more chances, regardless of his effectiveness?

If they're good enough they will play.

How many points did Real Madrid win the league by?

funny Shaw is a lock at 30m but Pogba who is already burgeoning world class at 21 is an insane gamble... Dude your English bias is duly noted.

And I think you may have comprehension issues... The main point a lot of people are making here is that 55m is a huge no-no because 1st he's not world class yet at least not in this planet 2nd that's an obscene amount of money for a guy like him 3rd not sure if you are keeping track but he had ups and downs this season with a quiet long slump of form.

So forgive us if we think it's insane to pay that crazy amount of cash for an unproved 21yo that we don't desperately need.

In TOPTB defense he's been against the Shaw signing since it was revealed the fee and wages involved and I'm not sure if you realized but 55 is almost twice 30 so I don't get the comparison except for you wanting to take a jab on him unfairly.

People are just using some common sense here

So the €60 million player ahead of them won't stop them? There won't be a financial prerogative to give this guy more chances, regardless of his effectiveness?

How many points did Real Madrid win the league by?

No if you know Jose, he's about winning! He will play whoever gives him the best chance to win.

Real won Europe's biggest prize I'm pretty sure they didn't give a fuck about La Liga.

I don't know about these young players, I haven't seen much of them, but they're in a bit of a catch-22, no? If they're good enough, they'll play, but we also want to have the best players in the world who play their position come in. How will they break through? They need experience, but don't want to send them on loan? Let them play, but not too much. It sucks. But the more I think about it, the less I want Pogba. That is A LOT of money and we could probably get Shaw+Rakitic for that money.

Also money does not equal trophies, can't believe some people still believe that, PSG spend millions and millions to bow out in the QF's of the CL back.to back years. Real finished 3rd in the league, Barca didn't win shit. Monaco didn't win shit. City scraped by with the EPL. United finished 7th.

Dortmund made it as far as PSG and Barca. Atletico nearly beat Real, won La Liga, and knocked out Barca. Spending money doesn't = trophies.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You