Paul Pogba

Madmax

So this is the link from Jake Cohen

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/5/12/5707484/chelsea-ffp-earnings-set-to-increase-30-percent-to-340m

So his analysis is that we are compliant in the 2013-14 season and can therefore go gangbusters now - and take a hit in 14-15 season...

I just don't see it - but I'm happy to be proven wrong - as long as it benefits the club :)

So a guy on twitter says we can afford £150 million

Great - does that include/exclude wages?

And it's a little fishy, this guy knowing the exact transfer budget, which is a closely guarded secret?

I mean you can't keep Roman out of the press talking about budgets, transfer kitty's etc ;) oh hang on....;)

I was just going to link you to the above article. Jake's been analysing the financial situation of the club for quite some time now.

The way transfer fees and wages work means it's hardly taking a hit. The money spent would be amortised over the length of the contracts that each player signs - the money is there to be spent. Let's say we spent £30m on Shaw, £32m on Costa and £50m on Pogba. That's £112m spent - add the Luiz money and money from January plus further sales of the likes of Ba, Mikel etc. we're more than fine - net spent could easily be below £50m (and that's me being pessimistic) - surely the club can afford that? That is without amortising each fee for each transfer as well.

The Luiz deal has really given us a lot of ammunition this summer.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I think you may have comprehension issues... The main point a lot of people are making here is that 55m is a huge no-no because 1st he's not world class yet at least not in this planet 2nd that's an obscene amount of money for a guy like him 3rd not sure if you are keeping track but he had ups and downs this season with a quiet long slump of form.

So forgive us if we think it's insane to pay that crazy amount of cash for an unproved 21yo that we don't desperately need.

In TOPTB defense he's been against the Shaw signing since it was revealed the fee and wages involved and I'm not sure if you realized but 55 is almost twice 30 so I don't get the comparison except for you wanting to take a jab on him unfairly.

People are just using some common sense here

I think you need to go back into the thread and look at what he's been saying...

On the Pogba thing it is rare you will find a box to box player who is showing the type of skill he is at such a young age. He approaching world class status... the marketplace is changing RAPIDLY. Bale who had one decent season on a 5th place team was sold for a record fee at 23. David Luiz at 27 was sold for 50M... third choice CB at best. Its not that I think Pogba is worth it, its mainly because we've had a huge windfall with this Luiz thing that is making me think we can swap out Luiz for Pogba and still be in a fine financial position.

If you don't think he's good enough that's fine, I'm of the thinking that after the Luiz sale Chelsea can afford to gamble on a player who is considered to be the same sort of player as Yaya. If it proves to be wrong then we lose the kitty that was a gross overpayment anyways.... Its a rare opportunity. Potentially 10yrs of a world class player vs 4-5yrs, crazy wages of a player who likely isn't even up for sale.

Not sure about that. Checked wikipedia and it says there he joined Man United in October 2009 and like we all know he left for Juve in June 2012, which makes his stay in England less than 36 months.

Just checked and because he would be 21 if we signed him this season, he'll complete his 36 months with us (it's cumulative).

Just checked and because he would be 21 if we signed him this season, he'll complete his 36 months with us (it's cumulative).

I know it's cumulative but I thought the 36 months would have to be done by the player's 21st birthday and after that it's too late?

I was just going to link you to the above article. Jake's been analysing the financial situation of the club for quite some time now.

The way transfer fees and wages work means it's hardly taking a hit. The money spent would be amortised over the length of the contracts that each player signs - the money is there to be spent. Let's say we spent £30m on Shaw, £32m on Costa and £50m on Pogba. That's £112m spent - add the Luiz money and money from January plus further sales of the likes of Ba, Mikel etc. we're more than fine - net spent could easily be below £50m (and that's me being pessimistic) - surely the club can afford that? That is without amortising each fee for each transfer as well.

Don't forget the 94m we got in TV money as well as finishing 3rd in the league.. We are in a pretty good position to make a FIFA /FM squad haha

But it's crazy to think at the same age and only two seasons later this kid is worth nearly twice we payed for Eden or 20m more. It's insane and makes as much sense as paying 100m on Bale. Just because some crazy person is willing to ask as much it doesn't mean we should pay it just because we have the money. It's a really obscene fee imo. I'd pay as much for a guy like Suarez who's proved and in his prime and a guy in a position we desperately need. Cavani also fits the bill but Pogba? No way in hell

Fair enough :)

I think we did reach the saturation point of spending £50 million on a bad player ;)

But you are right, that was then, this is now.

I just don't want us to pay that much for a young kid - if he starts badly he will get crucified by the press and the price tag becomes a Damocles sword...

We 'might not have no history lol' - but wouldn't want us to repeat the same mistakes :)

There are other 'cheaper' options available.

As for City - they didn't win convincingly

Bayern - did ok, but added more players than the previous season and DID WORSE!!!

Real Madrid - done well in Europe but didn't win the league, so spent more and improved little..

So out of those 3 big spending clubs - they didn't actually do that well all considering... Hence my point about spending not equaling success ;) or should I rephrase to ' Domination' ;)

Its a risk I'm willing to take. I really think this kid is going to be a big player for years to come.

I don't think the approach should ever be 'we made a mistake once(which wasn't a footballing decision the owner wanted a showpiece) we can't do it again' every situation is different. Pogba could give us 10yrs of ridiculously world class service and in that time you'd likely consider it a bargain. He hasn't regressed, only progressed. He's 21 with his best years ahead of him and he's already challenging as one of the best box to box midfielders in the world.

City won a title in the toughest competition, whether its convincing or not they achieved their objectives.

Bayern doesn't matter how you want to mince it, they ran away with their league and lost to the eventual winners of the champs league.

Real spent more and achieved the only prize they were truly after which means they got what they wanted.

But it's crazy to think at the same age and only two seasons later this kid is worth nearly twice we payed for Eden or 20m more. It's insane and makes as much sense as paying 100m on Bale. Just because some crazy person is willing to ask as much it doesn't mean we should pay it just because we have the money. It's a really obscene fee imo. I'd pay as much for a guy like Suarez who's proved and in his prime and a guy in a position we desperately need. Cavani also fits the bill but Pogba? No way in hell

I slightly agree. He's young, so he'd pay for himself, assuming he lives up to expectations. It seems like a waste of money though, shouldn't just splash out the cash cause you can. Rakitic would be significantly cheaper. Could get Kovacic, Pjanic? All for way less. He's a big name so he'll be expensive. I'd love him here but it's too much. We could get him, but why not save that money and try to avoid being like PSG & Madrid.? Especially if we have guys in the academy who can play with Matic.

i just wonder how the f**k Manure fans feel....sent on a free to Juventus, now a transfer battle between Chelsea and Real Madrid for 65 f**king million. then had to spend 28m on a wig and rely on Cleverley.

What you people continually FAIL to understand is the marketplace is not static! Suarez will cost more than Bale's 86m in today's market! When you buy a player like Pogba for 50m you're buying him for that because he's capable of giving you TWO contracts! Cavani will give you one contract and will demand RIDICULOUS WAGES!!

Eden Hazard had a buyout and is on RIDICULOUS WAGES!!

So reading around we have…..

1. 65ME is a bargain

2. He's world class

I respect opinions but seriously this is too much to take.

I also read Pogba will be an all time great and something about "hedging a bet", whatever that is.

So reading around we have…..

1. 65ME is a bargain

2. He's world class

I respect opinions but seriously this is too much to take.

everyone has their opinions. I believe Pogba is worth 50M only because we got that amount for Luiz. Had we not sold Luiz for that I wouldn't go anywhere near 50M. He is burgeoning world class, no doubt about it.

funny Shaw is a lock at 30m but Pogba who is already burgeoning world class at 21 is an insane gamble... Dude your English bias is duly noted.

I totally agree, Pogba is World Class and clearly one of the 10 best midfielders in the world. He is better than any of our midfielders (it's not that impressive), but also he would play in the starting eleven of any team team in the world.

He don't need to prove nothing in Europe or in his national team, at least not more than Neymar, Hazard, or other young great players in the world that also won nothing in Europe (Pogba at least won big competitions in a great football country).

Shaw is "worth" 30M£ because he is English, Pogba is "worth" 50M£ because he is incredible.

Pogba is not a player with talent that can be really good, he already is a world class player like Varane was one year ago (before his injury, right now I have some doubts specially because in Spain they say he plays with pain),

I don't know if he is worth 50M£, but if David Luiz has a market value of 50M£ then Pogba should be sold for at least 100M£. When we compare the prices of the players at this moment I think Pogba has a market price of at least 50M€, if we buy him for 50M£ maybe er are overpaying a little bit, but we will have a class A player, no doubt about it.

By the way. I don't think Madrid will pay almost 100M€ for him,

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You