Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

have we not learned that we should take care of our transfer business early? last season was a shambles in part because of the horrible summer in terms of transfers, the season before, we did everything early and were 100% ready when the season started... I hope the board is well advanced in multiple negotiations but are just keeping quiet because seeing MU getting jose, man city getting pep and now even arsenal signing players is starting to be disconcerting

39 minutes ago, oldportblue said:

have we not learned that we should take care of our transfer business early? last season was a shambles in part because of the horrible summer in terms of transfers, the season before, we did everything early and were 100% ready when the season started... I hope the board is well advanced in multiple negotiations but are just keeping quiet because seeing MU getting jose, man city getting pep and now even arsenal signing players is starting to be disconcerting

It's strange. Nothing happening with CFC so far after a total crap season wrought from 3-4 years of bad transfer windows and a squad thin on quality.

Just ... do something. All these links, inquiries. At the moment I don't have an idea if Chelsea are doing something besides very tentative talks with clubs. They're probably poaching for some youngsters and randoms for loan army.

when arsenal is already more busy in the transfer market then us, and they finished second and us 10th, it's worrying... we seem to have gone for naingolan but it appears to have failed as he himself has said he wants to stay at roma, why not make an offer for kante then? our board is so frustrating...

3 hours ago, oldportblue said:

when arsenal is already more busy in the transfer market then us, and they finished second and us 10th, it's worrying... we seem to have gone for naingolan but it appears to have failed as he himself has said he wants to stay at roma, why not make an offer for kante then? our board is so frustrating...

I have not the first clue what moves the board are, or are not, pursuing and nor do you. How do you know, for example, that we have not bid for Kante? That's not going to stop you blaming them anyway I guess.

On 25. 5. 2016 at 9:20 PM, Special Juan said:

No way this club will sell Ivanovic, not a chance. I think he is held in some sort of god regard...I think he's been a good servant but his one dimensional ways are very outdated and we need fresher and more athletic players at this club, and not just in his position either.

He signed extension for one year didnt he :doh:

Think he could actualy do well under Conte, but yeah Ivanovic style is so outdated, it hurts.

24 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I hope we make at least one signing of note prior to the Euros to get the ball rolling

Hope so too, and hopefully its a Top Top Defender/Total CM in the mold of Nainggolan. 

Fingers crossed

6 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I have not the first clue what moves the board are, or are not, pursuing and nor do you. How do you know, for example, that we have not bid for Kante? That's not going to stop you blaming them anyway I guess.

knowing which targets are attainable is also part of their job, or at least should be. It is difficult for us to know whether they have the funds to complete the deals or not, but if they don't have the funds, and they've known it for a while, they should've gone for more creative and cheaper targets.

Just now, Robguima said:

knowing which targets are attainable is also part of their job, or at least should be. It is difficult for us to know whether they have the funds to complete the deals or not, but if they don't have the funds, and they've known it for a while, they should've gone for more creative and cheaper targets.

Agreed but there are other issues which should not be ignored either:

• We are a less attractive option than a number of clubs for cultural and footballing reasons.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have acquired a reputation for playing dour, unattractive football. This causes some players to prefer other options.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have acquired a reputation for not promoting younger players. This is unappealing to such players.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have become associated with controversial on pitch incidents. This does not act in our favour.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have been associated with racism. This acts against us with players of all ethnicities, not just those of colour.

There will certainly be differing opinions about how serious any of these issues are on their own but together they create an image which makes our club a harder sell than it should be, both to players and potential sponsors. Top players, and top sponsors, have many positive alternatives. It's fair enough to say that we should target cheaper and more creative options but that is easier said than done. It's a challenge.

11 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

• We are a less attractive option than a number of clubs for cultural and footballing reasons.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have acquired a reputation for playing dour, unattractive football. This causes some players to prefer other options.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have acquired a reputation for not promoting younger players. This is unappealing to such players.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have become associated with controversial on pitch incidents. This does not act in our favour.
  • Rightly or wrongly we have been associated with racism. This acts against us with players of all ethnicities, not just those of colour.

There will certainly be differing opinions about how serious any of these issues are on their own but together they create an image which makes our club a harder sell than it should be, both to players and potential sponsors. Top players, and top sponsors, have many positive alternatives. It's fair enough to say that we should target cheaper and more creative options but that is easier said than done. It's a challenge.

Oh I am aware of these issues, esp the less controversial ones, such as no CL and unattractive style of play. However, we do have money and could, for example go for cheaper and/or younger targets. It's not like we have quality in abundance in the squad right now. We have players who no other top side wants - improving on them isn't that difficult. We haven't even replaced ramires yet...

Quite frankly, I just want some options so that when one of our first team players have a bad patch, we have adequate replacement.

And then again, that's literally their job. 

16 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

you're right, we don't know... what we do know is how the board have acted last summer (leaving everything until the end and then fighting for scraps). I don't know for a fact that this will happen again but I am not liking how we are starting out is my point

9 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

• We are a less attractive option than a number of clubs for cultural and footballing reasons. --> cultural and footballing? we get players like hazard, pedro, fabregas and costa to come, they didn't seem to have any problems with this... some players will be attracted by the culture of our club and some will not, that is life and that is the same for most big clubs
  • Rightly or wrongly we have acquired a reputation for playing dour, unattractive football. This causes some players to prefer other options. --> sometimes yes, sometimes no, it all depends on the manager and players know this (who would say we were dour under carlo, or even last season for that matter)
  • Rightly or wrongly we have acquired a reputation for not promoting younger players. This is unappealing to such players. --> hasn't sopped top young prospects for signing for us (courtois, zouma, kenedy being examples)
  • Rightly or wrongly we have become associated with controversial on pitch incidents. This does not act in our favour. --> neither here nor there, I have never, ever heard any players even remotely suggesting something like this would factor into a decision in terms of which club to join, and for players who are feisty like costa, this might even be favourable
  • Rightly or wrongly we have been associated with racism. This acts against us with players of all ethnicities, not just those of colour. --> i find this point to be laughable but that's just me... if we had a reputation for racism, our sponsors would have dropped the club like a hot potato already because it would damage their own brand... truth is, every club will have some racists, the fact that "our racists" were exposed in that tube incident is not nice but to say we are now associated with racism because .00000001% of our fanbase was involved in a racist incident is just ridiculous... we have always had a steady influx of black players and players from all around the world and I don't see that changing ...

of all your points, the only one i could sort of half agree with is that some people view our style of play as being negative, but i would argue that is more supporter talk then something prospective players think about... a prospective player will think about who will be the manager and that will be the main determining factor in terms of style of play (guardiola attracts x type of player whereas mourinho attracts y type and conte z type, no player is silly enough to think "boy chelsea really parked the bus a lot in 2012, i don't want to play for them", they're more likely to think "conte has had some very good tactics in his past juve teams and past players seem to rave about him" ...

and about being harder to sell to potential sponsors because of your list of issues, have you been keeping up with our marketing moves these past two years? we are signing huge sponsorships left, right and center. our kit deal with nike is second most lucrative in the PL (even the world IIRC), yokohama deal is huge too, we even have a huge deal for our training kit with i forget whom... that's without mentioning dozens of other huge deals the club have signed. I understand you may think all these "issues" affect our sponsorship deals but when we are signing record deals on par with the top 4-5 clubs in the world and even surpassing them in some, this idea is simply not borne out in reality

that's how i see it at least

2 hours ago, oldportblue said:

you're right, we don't know... what we do know is how the board have acted last summer (leaving everything until the end and then fighting for scraps). I don't know for a fact that this will happen again but I am not liking how we are starting out is my point

Again, you do not know that the board left everything to the last minute last season. In fact doing that would be so stupid that it strikes me as silly to imagine that such a thing happened. More than one club has claimed to have turned down bids from Chelsea for their players and more than one player has claimed to have rejected a move to Stamford Bridge. The truth is out there for anyone honest enough to accept it; just because you do not achieve your aims, does not mean you have not tried.

We're in a tough spot. We were never the most attractive club in the pack and now, when competition for players is at it's highest ever, we are less attractive than we have been for a while. We are also burdened with sellers' expectations that we will overpay for overrated players they want to dump. Getting the reinforcements we need is not just a matter of snapping a finger. Meanwhile, I absolutely, 100% support the club in walking away from exorbitant demands made by clubs and players alike. I know the potential consequence of doing so but I gladly restate my commitment to it.

This is an important summer for us, We know it, the board know it, the world knows it. I can't say I know what the board is doing but I would bet a fortune that they are working away at the problem. What on Earth else would they be doing?

-Likely Outs:Chelsea could cash in on Oscar as Antonio Conte aims to break up squad's Brazilian clique(Pato,Oscar)

Antonio Conte will attempt to break up the Brazilian clique in  Chelsea’s squad, but the Italian has no plans to allow Willian to join  Jose Mourinho at Manchester United.Incoming head coach Conte has been made aware that the heavy Brazilian  influence in the Chelsea dressing-room is one of the issues that he  needs to address.Oscar is the Brazilian most likely to leave Stamford Bridge this  summer, with Juventus and Chinese Super League clubs interested in  signing the 24-year-old who fell out of favour under Jose Mourinho and  Guus Hiddink.

Alexandre Pato’s barely noticeable loan is unlikely to be extended or  made permanent, while doubts still persist over the future of  Brazilian-born Diego Costa, who is wanted by his former club Atletico  Madrid

Telegraph.co.uk

Capture.PNG

17 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Again, you do not know that the board left everything to the last minute last season. In fact doing that would be so stupid that it strikes me as silly to imagine that such a thing happened. More than one club has claimed to have turned down bids from Chelsea for their players and more than one player has claimed to have rejected a move to Stamford Bridge. The truth is out there for anyone honest enough to accept it; just because you do not achieve your aims, does not mean you have not tried.

We're in a tough spot. We were never the most attractive club in the pack and now, when competition for players is at it's highest ever, we are less attractive than we have been for a while. We are also burdened with sellers' expectations that we will overpay for overrated players they want to dump. Getting the reinforcements we need is not just a matter of snapping a finger. Meanwhile, I absolutely, 100% support the club in walking away from exorbitant demands made by clubs and players alike. I know the potential consequence of doing so but I gladly restate my commitment to it.

This is an important summer for us, We know it, the board know it, the world knows it. I can't say I know what the board is doing but I would bet a fortune that they are working away at the problem. What on Earth else would they be doing?

"Working away" at the problem means getting the players that Conte wants and ensuring funds are allocated appropriately.  

Talk is cheap - is the Board prepared to put its money and commitment where it's mouth is?  I highly doubt it, consequences be damned.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Conte walks out of this club less than a year from now due to being set up for failure by the board ie shovelling him with more Papys, Miazgas and Patos while he asked for Nainggolan and Bonucci.