Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

50 minutes ago, Leif said:

This thread stays kind of dead so we can let this gem fly - watch Gintama's episode 151 arc, which lasts a couple episodes. It will generally transfer (now we're on topic) laughs into your stomach.

Any Anime that go past 26 episodes are usually bad.

10 hours ago, manpe said:

Understand your reasoning, but we need quality to be able to switch to 4 at the back. Can't do that with wingers or Alonso. I feel this 3 CB system is starting to hold us back in certain games where we need more bodies and movement up front. Playing 3 CBs and 2-3 CMs all the time, even against bus parking minnows, seems awfully counterproductive often times. It puts too much offensive responsiblity on only two or three players going up against 6-9 defenders. Then when we can't break through, those 3 CBs just start passing the ball among each other with all the space in the world because opposition is not interested in regaining the ball, they are happy to drop deep and mark the forwards out of the game so they can't receive the ball in dangerous positions. When the ball finally goes upfield, often the receiver doesn't have enough support and has no choice but to play back again and the purposeless side-to-side passing below half-way line begins all over.

Anyway, this is why I would prefer our new LWB to be more of a LB than a LW. Somebody who is dangerous and quick going forward but also solid enough to play in a 4 defender system. We have a winger in Moses playing on one side already, and when we need to go 4 at the back we have a monster defender in Azpi to slot in there, while the more offensive minded full-back on the other side can bomb forward relentlessly. I really really want us to start using variations of 4-3-3 or even 4-4-2 at some point for us to become less predictable and more dangerous going forward when needed.

How I miss Ash...

Being able to switch to a back 4 would be nice but even if we switch to a 4 Conte isn't suddenly going to change into an ultra attacking manager.

With a back four only 1 of the fullbacks will be pushing up while the other one will tuck in and form a back three again. 

I don't think a back four is going to help us that much going forward.

The 3-5-2 i want to play has 2 wingers, 2 creative CM's, Morata and Hazard up top. That's 6 attacking players against 6-9 defenders.

Honestly i think a back three can help and play a part in breaking down teams. We've seen that last season with Azpi or Cahill pushing forward into wide midfield and attract a midfielder towards them.

I feel like last season we did that a lot while this season it looks like we're playing a lot more cautious.

I agree that it's frustrating watching our back three pass the ball to eachother but normally you'd expect your outside cb's to ask questions of the defending team by pushing forward into wide midfield and not stopping until they draw out an opponent.

7 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

Being able to switch to a back 4 would be nice but even if we switch to a 4 Conte isn't suddenly going to change into an ultra attacking manager.

With a back four only 1 of the fullbacks will be pushing up while the other one will tuck in and form a back three again. 

I don't think a back four is going to help us that much going forward.

The 3-5-2 i want to play has 2 wingers, 2 creative CM's, Morata and Hazard up top. That's 6 attacking players against 6-9 defenders.

Honestly i think a back three can help and play a part in breaking down teams. We've seen that last season with Azpi or Cahill pushing forward into wide midfield and attract a midfielder towards them.

I feel like last season we did that a lot while this season it looks like we're playing a lot more cautious.

I agree that it's frustrating watching our back three pass the ball to eachother but normally you'd expect your outside cb's to ask questions of the defending team by pushing forward into wide midfield and not stopping until they draw out an opponent.

Ideally yes. It worked better last season because the formation was new in the league, reminiscent of how we obliterated the league introducing 4-3-3 in 2004. But most have figured it out by now, sooner or later it will become old news like 4-3-3. When you watch our games, it's clear that in some games we try to do what you described, but it doesn't work because teams know how we play and set up almost every game. We need variety.. or simply buy players that would make our 3CB system so strong that teams would struggle even when perfectly countered. Maybe we can do it with prolific wingers as WBs, who knows...

Started wondering, how big of a role us not being in CL last season could have played in our modest transfer window?

Actually thinking about the last few transfer windows up to the one after we had won the league in 15/16. That might have been the board being arrogant and thinking this team was good enough with a few depth additions, we have seen this pattern before after having successful seasons.

Then we had the freak meltdown season. In January it was clear we'd miss out on CL next season and the team was in deep crisis, clubs would ask hefty desperation tax and nobody would want to join that trainwreck anyway. Coming off a catastrophic season that wrecked our reputation and pushed us out of CL, it was bound to be difficult to get top class signings in January or in the summer. We did well however to get a few key additions like Kante and Luiz.

Then last January there was not much available in the market, not for the right price at least, and all the good ones were in European competitions anyway. Who would leave to join us at that time? Nobody, and nobody did. We were in a healthy position in the league, so the club decided to be patient and go for the right targets in the summer. The idea was sensible, we did win the league and repaired our reputation, but maybe they couldn't foresee how inflated the market would be. With the money lost by not being in CL (and let's also not forget our expensive stadium project), we just didn't have the finances to push for those extra 10 or 20 millions that state-owned clubs with CL money had set to be the new norm.

So, maybe our financial power will improve now that we're back in it. I don't think it will restore this quickly, I don't expect any fireworks this January, but next summer I'm hoping to see improvement in the club's ambition. Or maybe I'm just thinking of excuses to maintain hope.

Would anyone be against going after Mkhi if United want to get rid of him? 

Quick on the ball, doesn't mind having a crack, is a great passer of the ball and is far more dynamic than Cesc. Feel he would lift the tempo slightly of the side, which is what we need. Try and get Martial off them as well, and send them Willian who Jose desperately wants. 

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Would anyone be against going after Mkhi if United want to get rid of him? 

Quick on the ball, doesn't mind having a crack, is a great passer of the ball and is far more dynamic than Cesc. Feel he would lift the tempo slightly of the side, which is what we need. Try and get Martial off them as well, and send them Willian who Jose desperately wants. 

I don't want that mentally fragile and inconsistent guy anywhere near my club.