Chelsea 3-1 Everton

BlueLion.

Mata played really well :-) my MOTM

Though he was extremely impressive offensively, I am more happy with his defensive performance yesterday. He has showed a new aspect to his game. Mr. Mata just keeps getting more impressive by the game.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? Raul is defensively and physically waif-like compared to Mikel and while Raul maybe a bit more direct he isn't a better passer of the ball. Oriol on the other hand is not even close to the class of Mikel, he could get there but right now he's inferior to Mikel in every way.

We're trying to play Barca or Porto style possession football and in such a system you must have a quality DMF. its just fact.

I think you're wrong. We don't need a pure holding player. We can afford to have more attack minded player to sit ahead of the defenders, that's given more license to track back. What AVB has done in this system has made sure everyone tracks back. Like Drogba did yesterday when he followed Fellani (I think) all the way from his half to the one before. When Mikel came off, the pace and tempo of our game quickened, I don't think anyone can dispute this.

Mikel is important. He's crucial in the big games where defending is important. But vs a team like Everton where they gave a lot of opportunities to break, Mikel slowed it down too much for us to take advantage.

However Xavi passes the ball forward and takes more risks.

Exactly. For all of Mikel's positives, his one big negative is negative forward play.

Really enjoyed yesterdays game and happy with the overall performance of the squad. If I had one complaint it would be the goals we have been conceding of late. Speaking to my brother, we agreed that if the price to be paid for good, attacking, possession football, scoring 3 or 4 goals a game is conceding 1 and loosing a clean sheet every match then so be it. However, I'd at least like the goals we do concede to be well worked by the opposition, and be goals they actually deserve. For the most part we're letting in sloppy efforts that really don't deserve to be converted. If we could sort this out we'd be playing an all round solid game.

Sturridge is getting better by the week and seems to play his role very well. I was impressed with Mikel and of course Mata who was on another level yesterday. Honourable mention goes to Ashley Cole for his great first touch assist.

The team seem to be really clicking now and surely that can only get better. Looking forward to the coming weeks with loads of matches which we should comfortably handle.

I think you're wrong. We don't need a pure holding player. We can afford to have more attack minded player to sit ahead of the defenders, that's given more license to track back. What AVB has done in this system has made sure everyone tracks back. Like Drogba did yesterday when he followed Fellani (I think) all the way from his half to the one before. When Mikel came off, the pace and tempo of our game quickened, I don't think anyone can dispute this.

Mikel is important. He's crucial in the big games where defending is important. But vs a team like Everton where they gave a lot of opportunities to break, Mikel slowed it down too much for us to take advantage.

So basically you expect Mikel to play as a box to box mid and DMF at the same time without anyone to bail him out if he gets caught forward... No one has the combination of speed stamina and strength to play that role which is why no one in the world does. You're being asinine.

Do you know why Mikel was selected by AVB?? its very easy to see

i just went back and saw you were honestly comparing Xavi to Mikel when they don't play remotely the same role.. what sport are you watching?? Mikel is like biscuits would be if he was masculine.

So basically you expect Mikel to play as a box to box mid and DMF at the same time without anyone to bail him out if he gets caught forward... No one has the combination of speed stamina and strength to play that role which is why no one in the world does. You're being asinine.

Do you know why Mikel was selected by AVB?? its very easy to see

i just went back and saw you were honestly comparing Xavi to Mikel when they don't play remotely the same role.. what sport are you watching?? Mikel is like biscuits would be if he was masculine.

If you looked properly, I only compared Xavi & Mikel because someone compared their stats. Which gave a false image of his role.

As for the box-to-box/dmf role. Look at the way we've played this season, when we haven't played Mikel. Where Miereles & Ramires have made up our midfield.. You clearly see a high temp as well as a good defensive unit. He's unneeded in games like these.

However I would justify his role against sides who do attack us. The park-the-bus teams like Everton, don't require a holding mid.

If you looked properly, I only compared Xavi & Mikel because someone compared their stats. Which gave a false image of his role.

As for the box-to-box/dmf role. Look at the way we've played this season, when we haven't played Mikel. Where Miereles & Ramires have made up our midfield.. You clearly see a high temp as well as a good defensive unit. He's unneeded in games like these.

However I would justify his role against sides who do attack us. The park-the-bus teams like Everton, don't require a holding mid.

AVB is so dumb selecting Mikel over Meireles against Everton, a team who's only advantages are height strength and physicality.. and have a lot of threats from set pieces. Yes, he should have selected the shorter far less athletic man. How are you not a manager.